How do we communicate?

I just finished a work call that freaked me out. Never seen so much looting as in this delicate moment. No, it's not about communication strategies or trying to survive the best in this days, it's about seeing the worst that some people can give of themselves when they are under stress or with something to solve. That something to solve that is part of their work skills. Teamwork. Sometimes just a shield to cover their lower cheeks.
Everyone responsible, no one responsible.
Difficult times bella. Some people are not best equipped to deal with it - it may become a relevant section in CV's in the future "this is how I reacted to Covid". Retire to your kitchen with a nice bottle and cook yourself into a happier place.:okay:

Difficult times bella. Some people are not best equipped to deal with it - it may become a relevant section in CV's in the future "this is how I reacted to Covid". Retire to your kitchen with a nice bottle and cook yourself into a happier place.:okay:

You deserve a big 😃 and a bigger raised glass🍷

I had the dubious pleasure of having to listen to some pretentious type droning on about an Italian cafe (in Edinburgh) that they had visited, which involved frequent use of the words "lar-tay" and "paninis."

Now, my Italian is limited, but even I know how to pronounce latte and I also know that panini is plural. If one is going to act like an affected twerp, then at least have some knowledge of what you're talking about. Not, of course, that I said this, but I was certainly thinking it.

On the other hand, for work I sometimes have to listen to entire conversations in which English is slaughtered at least as much as Italian.
The most trivial and alas the most frequent example for me to read and listen to is the following sentence: 'it is necessary to reschedule a meeting as soon as possible to resolve the pending issue'.

70% of the words are expressed in English, but just to be cool - according to them. Ridiculous. And in what English! It sounds like someone talking with a stone in their mouth. I have a chill running down my spine when they say 'issue':
scisciu. sciusciu. isshiue. sssshhh.
Please say 'problem' and stop suffering!

Don't get me wrong, I love English and I learn it every day, but if it has to be to the detriment of the Italian as Italians in Italy, then no thanks.

I have no desire to hear BBC presenters and announcers speaking in the sonorous public school tones of the 1930s, but my teeth begin to grind when I hear weather presenters ending with, "There's yer weather."

I find an almost overwhelming urge to shout, "There's yer P45!"

Reactions: mjd
I have no desire to hear BBC presenters and announcers speaking in the sonorous public school tones of the 1930s, but my teeth begin to grind when I hear weather presenters ending with, "There's yer weather."

I find an almost overwhelming urge to shout, "There's yer P45!"

Sorry if I ask but what does it mean?

I've just read this babble (from a story about Barclays getting a huge fine for their abysmal treatment of people in debt):

"Since the issue was first identified, we have implemented a number of changes to our customer journeys, systems processes and colleague training to correct it..."

A pity, I thought, that Barclays have not "implemented a number of changes" to their use of corporate gibberish.

A growing interest among kids are finding old portable typewriters at garage sales and Craig's list. The older and more compact the better. You can still get ribbons for just about every make.

My nieces and nephews and youngest son write their girlfriends and boyfriends and mail each other letters. They have the flying O's, the dropped i's.
More romantic? You make that call.

w6jxvkqqtuw51.jpg

Google images.

A growing interest among kids are finding old portable typewriters at garage sales and Craig's list. The older and more compact the better. You can still get ribbons for just about every make.

My nieces and nephews and youngest son write their girlfriends and boyfriends and mail each other letters. They have the flying O's, the dropped i's.
More romantic? You make that call.

View attachment 53128
Google images.
This is the typewriter I learned on and used, first in school, then in the Air Force:

IBM Selectric typewriter - Wikipedia

I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I can become somewhat attached to inanimate objects, or imbue them with some sort of life force, and I used to love coming into the office first thing in the morning (I was always the first one in), turning the office lights on, starting the coffee, and turning on all the typewriters (four). I loved the way they hummed, like they were alive.

Having spent the better part of 40 years using keyboards of one type or another, I still can recall the feel of a Selectric...a little push on the key...a little more...a bit more...then, WHAM!, the ball would fire. I'm generally sensitive to repetitive sounds, but I thoroughly enjoy the sound of a Selectric.

A couple of years in, those were phased out for the IBM Displaywriter, an early word processor, and that had a wonderfully clicky keyboard as well.

I loved the selectrics.
The Selectric II hit the scene just as "Word Processors" did then printers and the PC.

Last edited:
I am realising that I am gradually losing the habit of writing by hand. I write everything on my laptop and if I'm not on my laptop, I have my iphone. In short, even a trivial shopping list that I used to write down on a piece of paper, I now write it down and save it on my mobile phone. No, that's no good. My fingers have to hold a pen and write.

As Dino Buzzati, one of my favourite Italian writers, used to say:
"Write, please. Just two lines, at least, even if your soul is upset and your nerves can't take it any more. But every day. With clenched teeth, maybe some nonsense, but write. Writing is one of our most pathetic and ridiculous illusions. We think we are doing something important by drawing twisted black lines on white paper."

Of course I don't think he was referring to this as a mere finger practice, but I think it can be an inspiration nonetheless.

I am realising that I am gradually losing the habit of writing by hand. I write everything on my laptop and if I'm not on my laptop, I have my iphone. In short, even a trivial shopping list that I used to write down on a piece of paper, I now write it down and save it on my mobile phone. No, that's no good. My fingers have to hold a pen and write.

As Dino Buzzati, one of my favourite Italian writers, used to say:
"Write, please. Just two lines, at least, even if your soul is upset and your nerves can't take it any more. But every day. With clenched teeth, maybe some nonsense, but write. Writing is one of our most pathetic and ridiculous illusions. We think we are doing something important by drawing twisted black lines on white paper."

Of course I don't think he was referring to this as a mere finger practice, but I think it can be an inspiration nonetheless.
I'm an even further evolved creature. All my lists etc I record on the phone. Not an iphone but a small LG phone with recording facility.
But other stuff I type on the laptop. Never using pen and paper. But I must start writing lists on paper.

Back
Top Bottom