How do you eat your lamb?

I didn't realise lamb was so expensive in the US. It is expensive here too but not ridiculously so if you buy the cheaper cuts. Lamb mince can be bought quire cheaply, for example. A 400 gram (14 ozs) lamb rump like this the one below costs £5 (just under 8 dollars).

IDShot_110x110-2.jpg

In a supermarket the price ranges from about £8 per kilo to £13 per kilo (thats approx. 6 dollars a pound to 12 dollars a pound??) I think. Don't know if you would think that pricey...

Lamb has got expensive ,
A portion of lamb neck is £3.50
A 3 bone of lamb rack is £4.25 and a portion of lamb mince is
£ 1.10 as I priced the mince today

spring is under way the ram did his thing and now the ewes have done their bit and now its lamb season,
How do you eat your lamb ,what cut and why ,fast cook or slow ,do you eat the offal ?
The only reason I ask as I have just come across a article on eating lambs tails
http://curiouskai.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/lamb-tails.html
Different I supose!......[/QUOTE

I have not bought lamb for ages, but it used to be a hit in the house. Either a regular lamb stew or a curry and then I felt I did a good job of baking some steaks. I have also had it in roti but have not prepared it that way myself. I am afraid of what's shown in your link.

I didn't realise lamb was so expensive in the US. It is expensive here too but not ridiculously so if you buy the cheaper cuts. Lamb mince can be bought quire cheaply, for example. A 400 gram (14 ozs) lamb rump like this the one below costs £5 (just under 8 dollars).

View attachment 1031

In a supermarket the price ranges from about £8 per kilo to £13 per kilo (thats approx. 6 dollars a pound to 12 dollars a pound??) I think. Don't know if you would think that pricey...
I don't know why lamb is so expensive here. It's not very popular so it is rather scarce. Maybe it's a supply and demand thing. The supply is low so the folks who like lamb are willing to pay high prices to get it. I personally don't know anyone in my small circle of family and friends who buys it. And the only cuts I've ever seen in the stores are chops and boneless leg.

Lamb is probably my favourite meat. I usually buy a joint and make a roast dinner and then use the leftovers to make a curry or a casserole the next day. I love minted lamb chops and Lancashire hotpot too.

I prefer lamb in a very simple preparation - just salt, pepper, fresh parsley, olive oil and garlic. Honestly, I would be fine with just salt and pepper and any neutral oil if need be. Lamb has such a distinct flavor that I enjoy, that I hate to mask it with other strong flavors, but rather let it stand on it's own. One of the best preparations of it that I had at a restaurant, was a roasted rack of lamb seasoned as I initially stated, arranged in a crown shape, around a bed of sauteed greens and topped with some white kidney beans that were lightly dressed. I believe they just roasted the whole rack in the oven, rather than grilled it or pan cooked it.

However some other times I've ordered it at some rather nice restaurants, they kind of screwed up the lamb by putting some heavily seasoned panko bread crumbs on the lamb chops, which were way too salty and unnecessary. I can see breading a cheap flavorless cut of meat to make it more appealing, like a country fried steak or "city chicken", but it was a shame to treat a rather expensive cut of lamb like that.

Lamb chops is one of our favorites but not really for the taste for the exoticness (is that a correct word?). My favorite meat is actually the porterhouse steak, the cut of beef with some fatty tissues and cooked medium well. But whenever a restaurant has lamb chops, we are tempted to order. In Malaysia last April, there was a restaurant in the mall that served lamb chops for $15 (Singapore dollars). The package is complete with vegetable garnishings and mashed potatoes. Not really expensive so we enjoyed because the lamb chop was tender and the marinade was delicious, not salty and not bland either.

Lamb is so soft to the taste and the only way for me to eat it is to fry it in cooking oil. I like to make it crunchy as I enjoy picking out the meat from the bones. I don't cook lamb too often though.

I love lamb chops on the bbq with rosemary, salt and pepper. I use mint jelly and my husband and sons love mint sauce. At Easter I'll make a roast leg of lamb. My mom make a great curry lamb stew. I've had lamb burgers as well with tzatziki, lettuce and tomatoes on a sweet Hawaiian bun. I think lamb can be a bit of an acquired taste so I introduced lamb to my kids at an early age. They both love it.

Usually I cook lamb shoulder really really really slow, minimum four hours. Sometimes we go the trad route and serve it on Sunday with fresh mint sauce, roast pots etc. Other times I roast it with Moroccan spices, like Berties. The other cut of lamb I particularly like is neck fillet. Its rather expensive but excellent in curry (I make a LOT of curry!).

For the first time I have done lamb shanks, they are now in the oven, trouble is they are not covered completely by the stock, do they need to be or are they happy to sit part-bathed in stock and red wine on gas mark 2 for the next 2.5 hours? Will they go dry?? Please someone help....

For the first time I have done lamb shanks, they are now in the oven, trouble is they are not covered completely by the stock, do they need to be or are they happy to sit part-bathed in stock and red wine on gas mark 2 for the next 2.5 hours? Will they go dry?? Please someone help....
Too late to reply, I suppose! But they don't need to be covered in stock if there is a cover to the pan, although I would perhaps turn them once or twice in the stock

Too late to reply, I suppose! But they don't need to be covered in stock if there is a cover to the pan, although I would perhaps turn them once or twice in the stock

I had to give in and ask my husband as I was getting a bit worried, all turned out well in the end.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

I roast mine, I think it's the only way to cook it. Roasting the lamb makes it juicy and cooked evenly. It might take a lot of time but it's definitely worth it with a side of potatoes and mint and cranberries.

I always used to find lamb too strong in taste and only started eating it a couple of years ago . I usually like either a traditional slowcooked leg of lamb studded with rosemary and garlic or I panfry lamb leg leg steaks that have been marinating in lemon,garlic and chilli.

Back
Top Bottom