How do you know when pasta or spaghetti is ready to serve?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
9:27 AM
Mine is often waterlogged, rubbery and on the fat side (probably because I worry too much about under cooking it) - how do you know when it's ready?

I usually just make a guess at it. When I think it has been on for a certain amount of time, I would check it with a fork, and if the texture is fairly soft, and the water has all but boiled out, I would turn it off and strain it. If it is not as soft as I would like it and there is still some water left in the pot, then I would turn it off and leave it in the water for a little while longer and then strain if off. This has to do with pasta since I do not usually cook spaghetti.

I've seen celebrity cooks on the Food Network take a string of spaghetti and throw it at the fridge. If it sticks to the fridge, that means that it is done.

I usually test it by getting a string or piece of the pasta from the boiling water and taste it for degree of doneness. if it has a bit of firmness to it, then to me, it signifies that it is done enough.

But you don't want to overcook it, especially if it is to be used in making a casserole!! It'll be too soft then!!

When I think it must be almost ready I stick a fork into a piece of pasta or use it to pull out a piece of spagetti. I let it cool a little then bit into it.

If it's still hard then I know it needs about five more minutes cooking. If I can bite through it easily and there is no hardness then I know it's ready to serve.

Taste testing is the best method. But also, perhaps start using a timer when you are cooking it, and decreasing your cooking time by a couple minutes each time you make it until you find just the right cooking time that works for you. The box directions are only a ballpark indicator. For example, in the summer months, we have a lot of windows open and fans running, which blows the fire around on our burners, making it sometimes take longer to cook things on the stove.

Also, when you drain your pasta, a useful method to get rid of the excess water - aside from shaking it out thoroughly - is to let the pasta rest in the colander until the steam stops rising off of it. Otherwise if you toss it in it's sauce immediately then go to plate it, you will wind up with puddles on the plate. To take this method even further, after tossing the pasta with it's sauce, preferably in the pan you just cooked the pasta or the sauce in so they are still warm - put the lid back on it, and let it rest for a few more minutes for the pasta to soak up some of the excess moisture.

Taste testing is the best method. But also, perhaps start using a timer when you are cooking it, and decreasing your cooking time by a couple minutes each time you make it until you find just the right cooking time that works for you. The box directions are only a ballpark indicator. For example, in the summer months, we have a lot of windows open and fans running, which blows the fire around on our burners, making it sometimes take longer to cook things on the stove.

Also, when you drain your pasta, a useful method to get rid of the excess water - aside from shaking it out thoroughly - is to let the pasta rest in the colander until the steam stops rising off of it. Otherwise if you toss it in it's sauce immediately then go to plate it, you will wind up with puddles on the plate. To take this method even further, after tossing the pasta with it's sauce, preferably in the pan you just cooked the pasta or the sauce in so they are still warm - put the lid back on it, and let it rest for a few more minutes for the pasta to soak up some of the excess moisture.

The most critical rule of all is to stay with or close to the pasta as it boils, to reduce or eliminate the overcooking of it. If you walk away from it, you could easily forget that it's boiling on the stove!

Because if & once that happens, there is nothing else that can be done to save it! You are just stuck with it.

I honesty never know when pasta is ready. I have to get my husband to come and check it for me. Let's just say me and pasta has never gotten along. Either I under cook it or over cook it.

Also, I might add that if you plan to use the pasta as part of the ingredients in a casserole, carbonara or even if you just want to put marinara or spaghetti sauce on it on a plate, then don't rinse it after draining the hot water off of it.

Because if you do, then you're washing off the starch from the pasta that is needed to help the sauce(s) stick to it better! The water left on the pasta tends to make sauces watery & thin as well! :eek:

Usually, I just take a piece out of the pan and bite into it to see how well it is done. To stop the pasta getting waterlogged and sticking together, try boiling the water before adding the pasta. Then turn down the heat so it just simmers. If you are using fresh pasta it literally takes minutes so keep an eye on the pan.

I was advised to time it well around or within 7 minutes, and it's worked for me fairly well most of the time. I'd of course still give enough room for adjustment if the noodles don't turn out to be fully cooked yet after that time, but I think guarding it closely after seven minutes have passed is a good standard measure.

Thanks everyone - so is it advisable to get the water boiling first, before you put the pasta in?

Thanks everyone - so is it advisable to get the water boiling first, before you put the pasta in?
I recommend getting your water to a boil before putting pasta in. I usually add a little bit of salt and vegetable oil to the water also. The veggie oil keeps the noodles from bunching up and sticking together.

I take a bite. When there's no white stuff in there, and it feels good to bite through then it's ready!

Definitely boil the water before putting pasta in, and know what pastas like water and what don't. Spaghetti will be a bit hardier to longer boils but penne and shells will become soggy and mushy (gross).

I've never ever had an issue with pasta sticking together lol. If you drain it and run some butter through it it will probably undo any sticking :).

Back
Top Bottom