How do you know when pasta or spaghetti is ready to serve?

I read the package recommendation. I like to watch my pasta cook carefully, nothing worse than soggy overcooked pasta. I always set a timer and as it gets closer I will taste a piece to check the al denteness of the pasta. I like to have the water good and salty too. I don't add oil, I just stir the pasta a lot as it cooks to keep it from sticking.

Our housemaid is the expert in cooking pasta - not the sauce though, just the pasta. We want our pasta al dente, that specific hardness that you can bite a pasta strand. Right now, the timing of the pasta in the pot with boiling water is 8 minutes. But still, our housemaid has to check the pasta by biting. Al dente literally means to the bite of the teeth. That is our rule in cooking pasta because particularly me, I don't want a soggy pasta or overcooked. It ruins the taste of the sauce.

I usually just bite into it, if it's "cooked" then we're good, if not I let it go a little bit longer. It's completely up to you how you like it cooked as well. I'm personally not a huge fan of pasta being al dente. I have it down to a science because I like my pasta soft but not overcooked and mushy. Once the water is boiling I dump the pasta in and it's basically about 9 minutes before I check to see if it's good or if it needs to stay longer. If it does need to stay longer I'm close by because only for a little bit.

I read the package recommendation. I like to watch my pasta cook carefully, nothing worse than soggy overcooked pasta. I always set a timer and as it gets closer I will taste a piece to check the al denteness of the pasta. I like to have the water good and salty too. I don't add oil, I just stir the pasta a lot as it cooks to keep it from sticking.

Try the "refrigerator test".

When you think the spaghetti or other pasta might be done, take a piece of it and throw it at the refrigerator. If it sticks to it, then it is done.
Sounds crazy, but I was told that some time ago.

But lately, I just take a piece out of the pot and taste it. If it is to my liking, then I strain it.:wink:

But you're right, that is nothing worst than overcooked pasta!! Can't imagine anything worst, except for overcook chicken breast or seafood!! :mad::ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom