How do you make 'light' mayonnaise?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:10 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

What is light mayo? Is it made without the yolks? 🤔🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's because it has more water in it and less oil, but I'm not sure.

Here is a comparison of the ingredients (UK):

Hellman's Light - 264 cals per 100g
Water, rapeseed oil (25%), spirit vinegar, modified corn starch, sugar, salt, free range EGG yolk (1.5%), cream powder (MILK), citrus fibre, thickeners (guar gum, xanthan gum), MUSTARD flour, lemon juice concentrate, antioxidant (calcium disodium EDTA), natural MUSTARD flavouring, paprika extract, sunflower oil.

Hellman's mayo -726 cals per 100g
Rapeseed oil (78%), water, pasteurised free range EGG & EGG yolk (7.9%), spirit vinegar, salt, sugar, sunflower oil, lemon juice concentrate, antioxidant (calcium disodium EDTA), flavourings, paprika extract

Yes, water is added and there is less oil - the main ingredient that compensates for the lack of 'emulsion' due to the extra water/less oil is xanthan gum. I use it to thicken sauces and it has virtually no calories. It thickens a sauce without adding (unwanted) flavour or calories. Its a very useful product. I thing that guar gum is similar but I've never used that.

Here is a comparison of the ingredients
Thanks. It’s on my list to make at home if I can find a comparable recipe. I’d just gotten to the point of making my own mayonnaise, and I don’t want to give that up. It’s fun.

Thanks. It’s on my list to make at home if I can find a comparable recipe. I’d just gotten to the point of making my own mayonnaise, and I don’t want to give that up. It’s fun.

Xanthan gum will do the trick of thickening if you can obtain it. But I think the technique for making 'light' home made mayonnaise could be tricky. Its not a true emulsion so the bit you find fun might be missing!

Here is a comparison of the ingredients (UK):

Hellman's Light - 264 cals per 100g
Water, rapeseed oil (25%), spirit vinegar, modified corn starch, sugar, salt, free range EGG yolk (1.5%), cream powder (MILK), citrus fibre, thickeners (guar gum, xanthan gum), MUSTARD flour, lemon juice concentrate, antioxidant (calcium disodium EDTA), natural MUSTARD flavouring, paprika extract, sunflower oil.

Hellman's mayo -726 cals per 100g
Rapeseed oil (78%), water, pasteurised free range EGG & EGG yolk (7.9%), spirit vinegar, salt, sugar, sunflower oil, lemon juice concentrate, antioxidant (calcium disodium EDTA), flavourings, paprika extract

Yes, water is added and there is less oil - the main ingredient that compensates for the lack of 'emulsion' due to the extra water/less oil is xanthan gum. I use it to thicken sauces and it has virtually no calories. It thickens a sauce without adding (unwanted) flavour or calories. Its a very useful product. I thing that guar gum is similar but I've never used that.

Same here, but canola oil.

CD

[Mod.Edit: this post and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

What is light mayo? Is it made without the yolks? 🤔🤔
Yeah, basically it's a low fat/calorie product to appeal to the diet industry. Appears to be about a 75% thickened water product with canola some flavourings, sugar and preservatives. Par for the low fat products in general and a real money makers considering their costs are a lot less and they charge the same, got to love the diet industry where they can do that while making people smile. lol. Anyway I would suggest making your own it takes 5 minutes.

Anyway I would suggest making your own it takes 5 minutes.

Any idea how to make a lower fat version at home? One obvious way is to make the mayonnaise and then add some low fat cheese such as half fat creme fraiche. But it wouldn't then taste quite the same as mayonnaise.

I need to experiment with xanthum gum...

Any idea how to make a lower fat version at home? One obvious way is to make the mayonnaise and then add some low fat cheese such as half fat creme fraiche. But it wouldn't then taste quite the same as mayonnaise.

I need to experiment with xanthum gum...
I'd have to formulate a recipe through trial an error because it's not something I've ever had a desire to make.

I'd have to formulate a recipe through trial an error because it's not something I've ever had a desire to make.
I found several recipes online, but since everything my wife is consuming now is points driven, when I run them through the point generator at WW, they come out as more points than the commercial one, so we’re sticking with that for the time being.

I tasted it this morning - it’s got a different taste from traditional mayonnaise, I don’t like it as much, but it’s…acceptable. For now. :laugh:

I found several recipes online, but since everything my wife is consuming now is points driven, when I run them through the point generator at WW, they come out as more points than the commercial one, so we’re sticking with that for the time being.

I tasted it this morning - it’s got a different taste from traditional mayonnaise, I don’t like it as much, but it’s…acceptable. For now. :laugh:
Real mayo is low carb TR, so it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom