How do you make 'light' mayonnaise?

How do WW calculate the light mayonnaise? That does have oil in it.

How many points for 1 tbsp regular mayo?

How do WW calculate the light mayonnaise? That does have oil in it.

How many points for 1 tbsp regular mayo?
Here in the Netherlands we have a factory concoction called 'fritessaus' which is an abomination like margarine compared to butter, which tranlates as ' fries sauce' which can only be made in a factory. It's 85% water and some oils blended with all kinds of additives to make an alternative to mayo, that's actually more popular here than regular mayo because the government promotes it as 'healthy alternative' to mayonaise. Light mayonaise as the above one by Hellmans has more calories. Fritessaus is 2 points per 4 tablespoons, and so not worth it in my 'humble' opinion :laugh:
Fritessaus - Wikipedia

I rather save some points for the real stuff.

Given water is first on the list of ingredients for the "light" version, above the 25% oil, we can infer that its more than 25% water :(

If I was going to make "light" homemade mayonnaise I'd probably make normal mayonnaise and then slowly whisk in some water at the end (I know this should work because I've tried similar with vinaigrette, it also works to bring back a split hollandaise). That would make it very runny, so it'd need thickening with something like xanthan gum. It probably also wouldn't taste great though....because the water is going to dilute the taste as well. So probably this is something that's worth buying instead of making homemade.

I'm not going to be trying this.....I'll just stick with less of the proper stuff.

Well I definitely won't be trying it because it's got dairy in it. I'll just have to have less of the nice stuff instead.

Well, home-made beats the commercially made hands down anyway. I think a home-made light version could be made using almond milk (or other non-dairy) and xanthum gum. I'm working on it!

Heinz light mayonnaise is dairy free:

Ingredients​

Water, Rapeseed Oil (25%), Starch, Pasteurised Free Range Egg (3.5%), Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Pasteurised Free Range Egg Yolk (1%), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Mustard Seeds, Spice, Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA)

Last edited:
Well, home-made beats the commercially made hands down anyway. I think a home-made light version could be made using almond milk (or other non-dairy) and xanthum gum. I'm working on it!
Post it here when you’re happy with it as I want to try it.

Back
Top Bottom