How Do You Match Side Dishes To A Main Entree?

I select and purchase the groceries so anything I have on hand I like or love. I give hubby a short list of options and whatever he picks is fine. Sometimes I skip the starch and go double on veggies.

And there's another question to open here, what goes behind the choice of beverage with an entree?
THAT could be a thread all on its own.
Wine aficionados will tell you that there are rules for wine pairings based on texture, taste, acidity of the food. It is a science to them, to me its a bit over the top, but I do agree that some wines are more "full bodied" than others and stand up to meat pairings better than others. Example: Cab Sav with steak versus Pinot Grigio with white flaky fish.
Beer fans will tell you their preference for pairings, but its not immortalized in culinary history like wine is.
Cocktails are just fun, and totally up to you. Likewise for non-alcoholic beverages, no rules.

No fruit for breakfast here, except raisins in my cereal, and cold pizza for breakfast? No way, no how, not gonna happen. :stop:

No fruit for breakfast here, except raisins in my cereal, and cold pizza for breakfast? No way, no how, not gonna happen. :stop:
You ever made stuffed French toast with cream cheese and berries? How bout blueberry pancakes? Those are occasional exceptions for me. Amen on the pizza!

You ever made stuffed French toast with cream cheese and berries? How bout blueberry pancakes? Those are occasional exceptions for me. Amen on the pizza!
Blueberry pancakes, but those are generally for my wife. She would live on fruit for breakfast.

Stuffed French toast - I don't care for it at all. Too much going on for me. I just like egg-dipped bread and syrup. It's MrsT who likes to load it up with raspberries and whipped cream and caramel and chocolate bits...

Wine aficionados will tell you that there are rules for wine pairings based on texture, taste, acidity of the food. It is a science to them, to me its a bit over the top, but I do agree that some wines are more "full bodied" than others and stand up to meat pairings better than others. Example: Cab Sav with steak versus Pinot Grigio with white flaky fish.
Beer fans will tell you their preference for pairings, but its not immortalized in culinary history like wine is.
Cocktails are just fun, and totally up to you. Likewise for non-alcoholic beverages, no rules.
Yeah, my husband is Italian American and he, his mom, and most the family will drink dry red wine indiscriminately. Steak? Red wine. Fish fry? Red wine. Me, i like white wines and beer in summer mostly. Cocktails year round. Red wine is fine but I won't drink it with seafood generally. Otherwise I just drink water. I don't drink pop/soda unless there is booze in it.

The simple answer is: do we have it, and does the wife agree to it?

The complex answer? That's like asking what chords belong in a song. At least on music, they have music theory which can shed a little light on why things work together. Cooking has no such thing.
There is science in cooking and there are rules that one can follow for consistent results. Mind you I've eaten many foods that that was not adhered to very well and I've also listen to some music that just sounded like noise. Cheers.

Blueberry pancakes, but those are generally for my wife. She would live on fruit for breakfast.

Stuffed French toast - I don't care for it at all. Too much going on for me. I just like egg-dipped bread and syrup. It's MrsT who likes to load it up with raspberries and whipped cream and caramel and chocolate bits...
No, I don't need caramel, chocolate, etc. I just make a berry compote with honey and cream cheese. Not too sweet.

There is science in cooking and there are rules that one can follow for consistent results. Mind you I've eaten many foods that that was not adhered to very well and I've also listen to some music that just sounded like noise. Cheers.
My sister loves jazz clubs, lol. I've been to a few. Just ok mostly. I did see Miles Davis at the New Orleans Jazz Fest while he was still alive. That was amazing. I like jazz studio albums, it's polished significantly enough.

Nope, not in the UK. I don't think they're even on the menu.

I've tried American biscuits and gravy - I found it a bit odd, but I actually quite liked it. Not enough to go out of my way to have it again, but I'd eat the dish if it was put in front of me.

Wow, what a difference. If you buy fried chicken from any fried chicken chain that I know of, you are getting biscuits with your chicken, whether you want them or not.

CD

I had the honor of a fine dinner at The Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, with wines chosen by our host, John Dvorak, a wine writer. I was stunned by every wine he chose for every course of the meal, and he told us why they worked so well together. I couldn't afford any of the wines, if I could even find them, but I did gain some understanding of why different wines pair well with certain foods on a very basic level. I've forgotten most of it. :laugh:

As for certain foods that I must have with certain beverages, I must have a good beer with pizza. I like Peroni from Italy for that. No dark beers or heavy ales with pizza, for me. I don't always drink beer... but when I do, I prefer DosEquis with Mexican/TexMex food (no Corona!). Stay thirsty my friends. :cheers:

CD

Wow, what a difference. If you buy fried chicken from any fried chicken chain that I know of, you are getting biscuits with your chicken, whether you want them or not.
Definitely a cultural thing, because a (US) biscuit is not very far away from a scone - but a Brit would think (a) scones go with strawberry jam (or cheddar cheese) and (b) a biscuit is a cookie, but hard - no eggs - to be consumed with tea or coffee!

Back
Top Bottom