How far away is your nearest grocery store/supermarket?

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
6:41 AM
So this was a thread on reddit, and I thought it might be fun to post here :D

How far are you to the nearest grocery store/supermarket next to you? And how and how often do you go there?

In my case it's this:

Grocery store: 46m
Another grocery store: 59m
Yet another grocery store: 82m
Even another grocery store: 120m
Mid-sized supermarket: 450m
Fishmonger: 450m (right by the door of the mid-sized supermarket)
Another mid-sized supermarket that's just across the street from the previous one: 455m
Yet another mid-sized supermarket that sells different stuff from the other two: 1.6km
Same chain mid-sized supermarket as the previous one but in a different location: 1.4km

Yes I walk to all these places.

I'm very fortunate to live in a place with so many supermarkets and grocery stores, although that's not really luck because I purposefully chose to live here and that was one of the reasons why. Because of that I often go the supermarket/grocery 3 - 4 times per week, a lot of times I only buy 2 or 3 things each time. Since I work from home, going to the supermarket is often an excuse to get me out of the house (and sometimes it's only reason I go out at all).

What about you?

Last edited:
I posted the exact distance to the grocery stores near me on the forum see time back. I don't know if I can find it with a search. Anyway, I have about six tithing about five miles, with one as close as 0.9 miles.

I would love to have one within easy walking distance, so I could pop over to the store for fresh produce as much as I want.

CD

0.9 miles, that's 1.4kms...I do walk that far and carrying grocery bags too. My grandma keeps scolding me for ruining my back like that.

Can't tell you how many times I walked that distance carrying bags with 2kg or 3kgs of groceries...yes I'm young and healthy and very eager to ruin my back.

Whole Foods is right across the street from me, but I only go in there just for a few things. I don't shop in there, mainly because they are just too expensive for me!! :eek:

My everyday Kroger is 6 miles away, which is a 15-minute drive. I go there twice a week, on average. ALDI would be the same, as they’re just down the street from Kroger.

The “big” Kroger I go to is 21 miles away, which is a 32-minute drive. I go there maybe twice a month.

The gourmet place I go to is 24 miles/36 minutes away. I also go there maybe twice a month. It’s in the same general area as the big Kroger.

The international market is 39 miles and 59 minutes away. I also go there twice a month or so. When I do go there, I can also shop at a Kroger and an ALDI if I choose, as those are there as well.

There are lot of large supermarkets near me.

The one I favour is a 10 minute drive. I don’t walk to the supermarket in the uk because I always pick up extras when I‘m there and lugging heavy bags back through our often inclement weather when I could be at home in the dry and warm cooking them doesn’t much appeal.

In spain I have four within walking distance and do walk to all of them. I only get on the mobike to go to the mega sized hyper-market one 10 minutes away that stocks everything. I think that’s because the weather lends itself to being outside and a stroll to the supermarket in the sunshine thinking about what you’re going to cook feels good.

And occasionally I ride to the Brit supermarket about 40 mins away, for things I miss.

Last edited:
0.9 miles, that's 1.4kms...I do walk that far and carrying grocery bags too. My grandma keeps scolding me for ruining my back like that.

Can't tell you how many times I walked that distance carrying bags with 2kg or 3kgs of groceries...yes I'm young and healthy and very eager to ruin my back.

I can walk that distance, but the American suburbs are not designed for walking. To get to that one store, I'd have to cross a six-lane major roadway. There is a traffic light there, but too many drivers don't look for pedestrians, and think cars have the right-of-way over pedestrians.

Plus, for six months of the year, it is too hot to walk very far in daylight.

CD

I can now drive to stores that are not within walking distance & have plenty of parking spots, unlike going to downtown & they force you to park in ridiculously expensive garages!!!! :eek:

I can walk that distance, but the American suburbs are not designed for walking.
I always laugh at how I can be walking down a street in my hometown, and then the sidewalk just ends, for no apparent reason, but continues on the opposite of the road…but there’s no crosswalk to get to it!

I always laugh at how I can be walking down a street in my hometown, and then the sidewalk just ends, for no apparent reason, but continues on the opposite of the road…but there’s no crosswalk to get to it!

In Frisco, real estate developers build the roads and sidewalks, and then the city takes over with maintenance. I can easily walk the distance to the 7-Eleven near me, but there is a gap of about 200 feet in the sidewalk where there is undeveloped land. If the ground is wet, I have to walk in the street for that 200 feet, and it is a four-lane divided thoroughfare. No sir, there's nothing at 7-Eleven worth dying for.

CD

I've seen lots of streets like that in Newton!! Check THIS one out; You're driving along on a one-way street. The same name is there. Suddenly, you come to a part of the street that crosses another one, & there's a sign there that reads, DO NOT ENTER!!! That really burns me up & your'e stuck there trying to figure out which way to go!! East Boston has tons of streets like that!!!! :mad:

Something I really like about the place where I live is that it's really walkable, and I really love walking. Plus I think something that is common here but seems less common in the US is mixed zoning. Especially in the suburbs you frequently see buildings that have stores on the lower floors and apartments on the other, upper floors. This really allows for people to have a lot of the stuff they need (groceries, supermarkets, pharmacies, doctor's offices,etc) really close to their neighborhood. Most of those stores are also mom and pop stores and you get that sense of community by going to the grocery, the fishmonger, the coffee shop, and seeing always the same people working there and the same customers too.

Kinda off topic but something I really like is the concept of the 15 minute city, planning cities in a way that everything you need is within 15 minutes walking distance. I do live in a place like that, although the place where I live is not considered a city.

We have 3 supermarket near us. Countdown hornby. Countdown church corner and new world peer st.
Countdown is a cheaper supermarket and new world more expensive. That's where we shop. All within 5 mins by car. New world peer st has an old aged place next door. They walk there in 2 mins.
A 10 min walk from here is a block of shops. Thai place, bakery, hair place, burger joint, liquor store and a few others.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom