How far away is your nearest grocery store/supermarket?

Something I really like about the place where I live is that it's really walkable, and I really love walking. Plus I think something that is common here but seems less common in the US is mixed zoning. Especially in the suburbs you frequently see buildings that have stores on the lower floors and apartments on the other, upper floors. This really allows for people to have a lot of the stuff they need (groceries, supermarkets, pharmacies, doctor's offices,etc) really close to their neighborhood. Most of those stores are also mom and pop stores and you get that sense of community by going to the grocery, the fishmonger, the coffee shop, and seeing always the same people working there and the same customers too.

Kinda off topic but something I really like is the concept of the 15 minute city, planning cities in a way that everything you need is within 15 minutes walking distance. I do live in a place like that, although the place where I live is not considered a city.
As people age it sometimes dawns on them they aren’t going to be able to drive forever and the usefulness of the 15 minute concept hits them. In Spain everything is within 10 minutes and it lightens the day.

Here in the UK I don’t have that and when I return I notice how much time I spend either at working at home or ‘out, out‘ as in it requires effort and time to go and do a job.
It’s easy to get a lot done in Spain and look at the clock and be surprised how early it still is! I hired I car last time I went and used it twice, once to get me home (Spain home) and once to get me back to the airport!

Something I really like about the place where I live is that it's really walkable, and I really love walking. Plus I think something that is common here but seems less common in the US is mixed zoning. Especially in the suburbs you frequently see buildings that have stores on the lower floors and apartments on the other, upper floors. This really allows for people to have a lot of the stuff they need (groceries, supermarkets, pharmacies, doctor's offices,etc) really close to their neighborhood. Most of those stores are also mom and pop stores and you get that sense of community by going to the grocery, the fishmonger, the coffee shop, and seeing always the same people working there and the same customers too.

Frisco has an area like that around City Hall called Frisco Square. It has stores and restaurants on the first floor, and apartments above. The stores are mostly boutique shops, not practical stores. There is a nice, new HEB about two blocks away, but you have to walk across a major intersection where the Tollway crosses over Main Street. There is also a multi screen movie theater, a church, and a hospital in Frisco Square.

The apartments are nice, but quite expensive. The restaurants are good, too.

1705015747330.png

CD

We have “lifestyle developments,” which take a big open field, work it over, and build apartments, a couple of office buildings, a few anchor stores, and a buttload of smaller shops, restaurants, a cinema, and bars.

They’re “streets” and walking paths, and fountains and a little bandstand, and they sell the idea that you can live, work, and be entertained, all within walking distance.

The problem if you actually do that…you can’t stay there over the weekend because everyone and their brother who don’t like there come there to spend the day shopping and eating and going to the movies and drinking. They sell you on the idea of your own little mini-town, but then it’s overrun by outsiders on the weekend.

We have “lifestyle developments,” which take a big open field, work it over, and build apartments, a couple of office buildings, a few anchor stores, and a buttload of smaller shops, restaurants, a cinema, and bars.

They’re “streets” and walking paths, and fountains and a little bandstand, and they sell the idea that you can live, work, and be entertained, all within walking distance.

The problem if you actually do that…you can’t stay there over the weekend because everyone and their brother who don’t like there come there to spend the day shopping and eating and going to the movies and drinking. They sell you on the idea of your own little mini-town, but then it’s overrun by outsiders on the weekend.

The apartments at Frisco Square include assigned parking spaces for tenants in the parking garages. Some have their own parking garages, with gates.

CD

The apartments at Frisco Square include assigned parking spaces for tenants in the parking garages. Some have their own parking garages, with gates.

CD
The apartments here do as well, but all the shops and restaurants are open to anyone and have their own parking lots.

It’s like living in a small community of a thousand people, but on the weekends, it’s taken over by 50,000 who don’t like there. Obviously, you can’t keep them out, but I know it aggravates some of the people who live there, because the quiet little bar they’re used to having a drink in during the week suddenly has lines out the door on the weekend.

Of course, without those weekend patrons, they couldn’t afford to be half-empty during the week.

The apartments here do as well, but all the shops and restaurants are open to anyone and have their own parking lots.

It’s like living in a small community of a thousand people, but on the weekends, it’s taken over by 50,000 who don’t like there. Obviously, you can’t keep them out, but I know it aggravates some of the people who live there, because the quiet little bar they’re used to having a drink in during the week suddenly has lines out the door on the weekend.

Of course, without those weekend patrons, they couldn’t afford to be half-empty during the week.

It's not so bad here, as far as weekend hoards. Where are your mini-cities like this located? Frisco has 220,000 people, and over 450 places to eat. Frisco Square is just one place of so many to choose from. I go to a few restaurants there, including a burger bar, and an outstanding Neapolitan pizza place with two wood burning pizza ovens imported from Italy. I've never had to wait in line for a table or space at the bar. I forgot, there is also an MLS soccer/football stadium there. I might actually go to some games if I could walk to the stadium.

As far as grocery stores, I'd do all my shopping at HEB if I lived there, but I'd drive. It's a short walk, but you have to cross too many busy roadways in that short distance.

CD

Where are your mini-cities like this located?
There’re two in the greater-Dayton area (Austin Landing and Indian Ripple), one not far from where I grew up (they actually tore down my brother’s old house to build it) outside Hamilton (Liberty Center, I think), and another one outside Columbus (Easton).

Easton was the first one I ever saw, went there years ago and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Then a few years later, we took my out-of-town niece to Liberty Center. Her and her husband loved the whole concept, like this little pretend Disney town, very compact, but I don’t know why I do, but I just hate it.

Austin Landing is the closest to us, about 35 minutes away, just up the street from the gourmet shop we like. Our financial planner has an office there, and there’s a massive HomeGoods/TJMaxx that MrsT loves, so we go there once every few months, and I cuss the whole time, because for something that has a small footprint (compared to a real town), I can never seem to figure out how to get where I want to go, or how to escape back out onto the main road. It’s a friggin’ maze. I hate it.

And we’ve been to the Indian Ripple one twice, and not that long ago at that. I probably posted lunch from there.

We've got a local supermarket (well I'd probably better describe it as a "Grocery Store") a km away from the house. I usually drive there because, ok, it's only about a15-20 minute walk to get there, but it's all uphill. About 3 kms away, there's a new Hypermarket and a new supermarket. We've also got loads of " Farmer's Markets" which spring up on Thursdays to Sundays.

The nearest supermarket and grocery store that isn't a junk food shop is 64km away.

The junk food supermarket (IGA) is 54km away. You can get basic veg/fruit from there but...

There is a part time grocery store 12km away, but she's only open Thursday 3-7pm and Sat & Sun 9am - 3pm.

We do have a petrol station 16km away but it is in the wrong direction and I don't see the point of driving 32km just to fill up when 1L of fuel is $2.25 and my vehicle will use 6L just for that journey. It's cheaper to fill up at a petrol station you're driving passed!

There is also a part time pharmacy 16km away (opens at 10am, closes at 1pm week days don't even think about the weekend) as well, plus a full time post office. No food shopping though.

A full time pharmacy (closes at 2pm on Saturday, not open Sundays) is 54km away.
There are several other shops including a rural supplies store, pet shop, vets, doctors, cellar door, liquor store and various cafes all in that 54km each way location.

Otherwise everything else is 64km each way away.

My veg plot, herb plot and fruit trees are in easy walking distance though. :D

Closest supermarket: 90 km
Closest town: 50 km, with market and grocery stores
Closest grocery store with very limited stock: 17 km
Some small stuff is available in the little village nearby, couple 100 metres, but real real limited.
Freezer is full and close by
Closest town with almost anything available is the capital, about 200 km, but a 3.5-4 hour drive. I go there irregular, on average maybe once every 2 months

How far are you to the nearest grocery store/supermarket next to you? And how and how often do you go there?

Aldi is a five minute walk away. I tend to get most stuff delivered from supermarkets, though (have done so for the last 26 years) but I used to shop at Aldi sometimes for bits and pieces. I stopped going there when the pandemic started and haven't been back since.

I'm on, what was the edge of town, before the box store boom started, which starts the next block over. So, we have three stores just up the road about half a mile. I don't go to two of them, but I do go to the larger one to grab a few things for the shop and occasional vegetables for my dinners. I get most of my edibles from my own shop..we don't sell fresh veg, but I bring a lot in for my meals, deli salads and and sandwich counter

Back
Top Bottom