How has your year been?

2017 has not been kind to me or mine so I’m glad to see it coming to an end.

In January I was diagnosed, after 7 years with an immune disorder. I’m still trying to get my medicine regime right and finding it difficult I to come to terms with the changes and limitations I know have.

My husband was diagnosed with MS - but is doing really well.

My Aunty has had and is recovering from bowel cancer and my mother had a scare with breast cancer but thankfully she’s ok. My dad has been diagnosed with a lung disorder and my Nan colitis.

Male neighbours each side of my home passed away (we’ve all know each other for 20 years) and an elderly lady whose more or less part of the family passed away last week.

Work has been very stressful and challenging and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

On a bright side though -

I did my annual trip to Rome and a week in Tuscany.
There was a new Nigella book out and I love it.
I bought a new car - and it’s convertible!
I’ve finally lost 1 stone in weight.
I have made a new friend. A colleague from work, who I work quite closely with. We’ve discovered we love food, gin and lots of other stuff so we have a few foodie dates planned for 2018.

Whilst 2017 hasn’t been the best, it’s ending on a good note and I’m grateful for that.

In January I was diagnosed, after 7 years with an immune disorder. I’m still trying to get my medicine regime right and finding it difficult I to come to terms with the changes and limitations I know have.

I have an immune disorder to (thyroid) - its mainly under control but has on many occasions caused serious atrial fibrillation. Can I ask what your immune disorder is?

I have made a new friend. A colleague from work, who I work quite closely with. We’ve discovered we love food, gin and lots of other stuff so we have a few foodie dates planned for 2018.

That's great! Perhaps you could get them to join the Forum.:whistling:

It can be. I’m ok (touch wood). Just the exhaustion that’s a problem for me currently. I have a long commute every day and a stressful job, so it’s a hard slog to keep going through the week and the spend the weekend building up energy for the next week.

Sorry to hear that. They thought at one time I might have Sjögren's syndrome as I have similar symptoms, which my meds have of course made worse. Docs still haven't decided one way or the other though.
Thank you. Seems that immune disorders are numerous and very difficult to diagnose.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Thank you. Seems that immune disorders are numerous and very difficult to diagnose.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Before I retired, I was a medical secretary and it always astounded me how many patients there were with all sorts of immune disorders, as well as allergies and intolerances, things that were very rarely heard of in my younger days. Even someone having cancer could make the local news if not the national news. yet now such illnesses and diseases are common place. Some say it is because we are living longer, but then why are there so many babies who are born with awful things wrong with them and so many children sick with all sorts of things. It really makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Some say it is because we are living longer, but then why are there so many babies who are born with awful things wrong with them and so many children sick with all sorts of things. It really makes you wonder, doesn't it.
Not really, it's doesn't make me wonder. Mostly it is simply a case of being able to keep that infant or newborn alive long enough for them to be able to be strong enough to survive by themselves. Previously those infants would have been still births, miscarriages or infant deaths.
Myself, I would have been either still born or late stage miscarriage (I would have died in the womb 2 weeks before I was due). Only modern technology (as it was then) kept me alive through monitoring my mother in her final stages, her knowing enough to know something was wrong (she was a midwife as it was) and then emergency surgery and an incubator plus various other bits to keep me alive long enough for me to get over what was wrong and be strong enough to survive by myself. I've since been resuscitated twice more and as you know spent 6 days on a respirator earlier this year. My allergies and conditions, combinations of are only 'possible' because of the technology that kept me alive before and immediately after an emergency C section.

Now multiply that by all of us born to my mother, who likely would have died in child birth having me (in the eldest) and you have the answer. I come from a large family and everyone of us has allergies or a serious illness/condition(s) to live with.

Now multiply that by all of us born to my mother, who likely would have died in child birth having me (in the eldest) and you have the answer. I come from a large family and everyone of us has allergies or a serious illness/condition(s) to live with.
My grandmother had 17 children, only one of whom was stillborn (the younger of twins) and four who did not survive to adulthood. The rest all lived reasonably healthy and long lives except for one who was killed in battle. My Mum was one of 7. Her mother and one of her sisters died early, but the rest including my granddad seemed to go on for what seemed like ever. Of my immediate family, only one died shortly after birth - another sister - but Mum always said there was something wrong with her when she was born - I don't know what; it was never talked about. Also, my Mum and my sisters only had one son each. My family on both sides no longer seems to produce boys. Both my daughter and I have miscarried with boys too. On my Dad's side of the family it was even worse. After my generation, none of the family produced any boys until 18 months ago when a boy was born to carry on the family name.

Not really, it's doesn't make me wonder. Mostly it is simply a case of being able to keep that infant or newborn alive long enough for them to be able to be strong enough to survive by themselves. Previously those infants would have been still births, miscarriages or infant deaths.

My grandmother had 17 children, only one of whom was stillborn (the younger of twins) and four who did not survive to adulthood. The rest all lived reasonably healthy and long lives except for one who was killed in battle. My Mum was one of 7. Her mother and one of her sisters died early, but the rest including my granddad seemed to go on for what seemed like ever.

Its an interesting subject - I'd like to see some scientific evidence about this. In my generation (post war 50's) there were not many who died young - I can't recall of anyone very young dying at all except one young boy I knew who had an asthma attack. This is purely subjective on my part BTW!

Last edited:
Its an interesting subject - I'd like to see some scientific evidence about this. In my generation (post war 50's) there were not many who died young - I can't recall of anyone very young dying at all except one young boy I knew who had an asthma attack. This is purely subjective on my part BTW!
My grandmother (on my Dad's side) was born in the late 19th century, and all her children were born between 1900 and 1922. My grandfather died shortly afterwards from war wounds. My grandmother on my mother's side had all her children somewhere between 1904 and 1916 - don't know the exact years. Can't remember any of the kids round our way dying young, even though some had had diphtheria or polio. I suffered from throat problems (!) and bronchitis. I did have pneumonia once but a course of antibiotics about the size of horse tablets cured that - not much earlier, and it would probably have been fatal.

One bit of good news to end 2017 on. You remember I said my daughter was diagnosed as lactose intolerant? She got so fed up with all her favourite foods being off the menu, she had a long chat with her doctor, and is now gradually weaning herself back on to foods containing lactose. She still needs to be careful with milk products, particularly cream, and has a supply of her medication just in case something disagrees with her, but she does look very happy tucking in to foods that she has had to avoid for the past year. Still can't have pulses though; well not yet. It's just a pity you can't do the same if you are allergic to various foods :(

Back
Top Bottom