How has your year been?

My year has already had 2 trips to Italy ( Venice ) and there is a 3rd .. The 2nd and 3rd trips to Venezia are business combined with pleasure ..

AAVENEZIAFOTO120180217_082911.jpg

I don't know if cancers and immune disorders are increasing. It may be that there is a greater awareness of these diseases. People would get sick and die from cancers and immune disorders but they were not recognized. So many illnesses, diseases and conditions were not understood or identified until the 20th century - particularly the later half of the 20th century. With the advent of global media and the internet awareness has grown exponentially.

My Grandmother was blind from the time Dad was 5 years old. She had Glaucoma. Doctors new it was a narrowing of peripheral vision but could do nothing about it. Mother's Grandfather lost his sight to cataracts Doctors knew it was from a build up behind the cornea but had no clue how to fix it. I have cataracts and will have surgery within a year. Easy Peasy.

In my humble opinion the apparent increase in disease it is more about awareness. My Aunt's first husband had a congenital heart defect. He died at a young age on the operating table. Today that same defect would be identified at or even before birth and corrected in infancy.

I don't know if cancers and immune disorders are increasing. It may be that there is a greater awareness of these diseases. People would get sick and die from cancers and immune disorders but they were not recognized. So many illnesses, diseases and conditions were not understood or identified until the 20th century - particularly the later half of the 20th century. With the advent of global media and the internet awareness has grown exponentially.

My Grandmother was blind from the time Dad was 5 years old. She had Glaucoma. Doctors new it was a narrowing of peripheral vision but could do nothing about it. Mother's Grandfather lost his sight to cataracts Doctors knew it was from a build up behind the cornea but had no clue how to fix it. I have cataracts and will have surgery within a year. Easy Peasy.

In my humble opinion the apparent increase in disease it is more about awareness. My Aunt's first husband had a congenital heart defect. He died at a young age on the operating table. Today that same defect would be identified at or even before birth and corrected in infancy.
There's more willing to be open about them. I "scared others at work because I was open about them, if they asked or entered their own opinion that those who got them were somehow at fault. "Jokes" were soon stopped in their tracks.

They're not as a result of anything I did or didn't do, so why should I be ashamed about the fact that I've had to live with them.

Back
Top Bottom