How important is food plating and the visual appeal of a dish?

How important is the visual appearance of a dish?

• Extremely important

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Very important but taste is most important

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Somewhat important but not a particular priority

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Not important

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Plating is very Important. I personally decide to eat after seeing the dish and its obvious that we feel the taste later. So it's very important to convince the eyes first.

It only became important to me the last few years. However, it isn't important to anyone else in my household. Hell, they don't even like it when I plate their food for them lol. Sometimes I do though if I have a specific vision that I want to advertise.

I'm going to have to say that for this household taste is much more important. Yes I'll try to arranged it nicely on the plate, but I'm not going to stand and line up the garden/runner beans to make them look nice on the plate. I'd rather serve the food hot. For me there is nothing worse than being served lukewarm food that should be hot. I hate cold veg with avengeance. I guess that shows in my food photos!

Depends what you're eating, where you're eating and who you are eating with. I'm useless at it anyway. If something looks good in this house, I've either got a top chef lurking in the kitchen or it's more luck than anything else. :laugh:

To me, the good plating and visual appeal of a dish is as important as the taste. Well almost... I obviously eat things sometimes (like a bowl of porridge) which don't exactly look amazing. But generally and especially when I'm developing a recipe, the visual appearance is extremely important. I think about colours on the plate (or in the dish) as much as I think about the flavour combination. See here for an interesting article about the science of food plating.

How important is careful plating and visual appeal to you?

To me platting is not at all important it is more the quality of the food i am eating.

If you can plate food well and take the time to do it, you can make a terrible dish look great.

For me it is all about how it tastes.

To me platting is not at all important it is more the quality of the food i am eating.

If you can plate food well and take the time to do it, you can make a terrible dish look great.

For me it is all about how it tastes.

Surely the plating matters though in a restaurant context, though? If I'm paying good money for a meal I don't want it piled onto the plate in a messy heap with no care, however good the ingredients.

Surely the plating matters though in a restaurant context, though? If I'm paying good money for a meal I don't want it piled onto the plate in a messy heap with no care, however good the ingredients.

Yes in a restaurant setting in 100 percent matters.

When I cook for myself though all my effort goes into taste and flavour, presentation falls by the way side as it's just me and I want it to taste Great.

Yes in a restaurant setting in 100 percent matters.

When I cook for myself though all my effort goes into taste and flavour, presentation falls by the way side as it's just me and I want it to taste Great.

Ah! I understand. Oddly enough though I find even when cooking for just me I like a plate to look appealing. No necessarily fancy or amazingly artistic - but attractive. Even something like a poached egg on toast (see below one I had for lunch the other day) I'll add something sprinkled on top and cook the poached egg carefully, trimming of ragged bits.

fullsizeoutput_4aae.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4ab3.jpeg

Ah! I understand. Oddly enough though I find even when cooking for just me I like a plate to look appealing. No necessarily fancy or amazingly artistic - but attractive. Even something like a poached egg on toast (see below one I had for lunch the other day) I'll add something sprinkled on top and cook the poached egg carefully, trimming of ragged bits.

View attachment 28895

View attachment 28896

Haha yeh I'm sometimes like that to.

But after cooking sometimes thousands of meals a day, when you cook for yourself you definitely don't get the special treatment let's say haha.

Most chefs eat very bad food as they can't be bothered cooking when they get home, I still do it.

Most chefs eat very bad food as they can't be bothered cooking when they get home, I still do it.

I've heard that before from chefs - off for a late night kebab after last service! In a strange way although I'm not a chef I have a similar habit. I'm so obsessed by cooking I'll often spend all day cooking and photographing creations. Most are eaten by my partner or my friend when I stay at his. Some are re-heated later or frozen. I taste everything of course but by the evening, often all I fancy is something basic like egg and chips!

Back
Top Bottom