How is the corona virus affecting you?

This has nothing to do with the EU. As a UK pensioner expat who my younger non pensioner wife is classed as my dependent. All our basic healthcare costs (hospital, doctor visits meds etc) are sent directly to the UK for payment. The paperwork was sent here as proof of permanent residence. I filled it in, we then got a certificate that we sent to the health department in Split. Our health cards arrived 7 days later. If you are receiving a pension from the UK you should be able to get this ? The form is in case you did not know S1 You must contact HMRC National Insurance enquiries to find out if you're eligible.

Here, you pay your 1,059. 23 a month, plus a deductible and copay, and you get healthcare. So, you can keep your "socialized medicine." :thumbsdown:

CD

If I'm betting, I don't think she's going to go, as she's extremely worried about her chances if she catches it (she's high-risk for a few different reasons). She just hates pulling the plug on it, the finality if it (for which she'll catch hell as well).

I hope she doesn't go, difficult as it may be to tell the family. Would it be possible for her to say that her doctor had advised her not to go because of her health, or wouldn't that wash?

Re restrooms (toilets in the UK), if I go to a restaurant, I think I'm going to be crossing my legs and hoping for the best...

And our president still has a chance at a second term.
You may care to read this. I try to remain abreast of UK and US politics. Schadenfreude and a feeling of "I'm all right Jack" are two powerful feelings that are conflicting me at present. One of the many wise words my Dad said to me many years ago is " Stop being a crusader for the great unwashed, they don't care a flying F about you" Maybe now is the right time. How is Donald Trump doing in the polls?

An extremely non-scientific piece of research from today's little trip to the Co-op.

Most people in the high street were wearing face coverings. The really obvious exception was the number of workmen emerging from various vans and piling into cafes, bakeries and other shops. Not one face covering between them.

Possibly another example of the "Tough macho men like us don't wear wussy stuff like that" tendency?

I drove from Road Atlanta in Georgia to Dallas along with another Audi in just under 8 hours. Stopped once to pee and grab a burger. That's 858 miles. 107.94 average mph, including that stop. Dayton to Savannah is only 718 miles. I'm thinking between 6 and 7 hours? Can you hold it that long?

BTW, I won't be doing that again. That was a white-knuckle drive.

CD
Casey, I don't drive 100 mph for one thing. The speed limit ranges from 60 to 70 mph, then you have to allow for road construction and heavy traffic to slow things down. And Dayton is a few 100 miles south of me. I live close to Lake Erie, up by Pennsylvania and New York.

Last edited:
I hope she doesn't go, difficult as it may be to tell the family. Would it be possible for her to say that her doctor had advised her not to go because of her health, or wouldn't that wash?
She'll tell them eventually (she's already broached the subject gently), and it'll be three days of "negotiations," and then she'll put her foot down (or I'll help her to) eventually. MrsTasty is the world's worst liar, whereas I can cook one up on the spot, complete with backstory, without a second thought (remind me to mention my "man-purse" story one of these days... :laugh:).

But Croatia is an EU member, is it not?
Yes, but according to the lady at the HMRC it is my NI contributions that matter. To quote her I had payed enough NI up to retirement to get an enhanced pension etc. I then asked about the S1 she replied that is NI contribution based also. All the Croatians do is send our bills to the UK for payment.

But I'm afraid you still can't come to the UK (without spending 14 days in quarantine), unless of course you fly via Cyprus, then it's fine. Funny old world.

Yes, there was also ton of advice on social media on how to get to Portugal from the UK via Spain...

I don't criticize governments from closing borders, they're only trying to protect their citizens. Some countries are handling this situation better than others. Portugal has a fragile economy that relies heavily on tourism and services, I think we're at a point where our government gave in to the pressure of the economy, a lot of small businesses were on the verge of bankruptcy from being closed for so long.

Yes, there was also ton of advice on social media on how to get to Portugal from the UK via Spain...

I don't criticize governments from closing borders, they're only trying to protect their citizens. Some countries are handling this situation better than others. Portugal has a fragile economy that relies heavily on tourism and services, I think we're at a point where our government gave in to the pressure of the economy, a lot of small businesses were on the verge of bankruptcy from being closed for so long.
It is a fine balancing act, and judging the decisions made by governments (in this respect at least) is probably best done in hindsight. I have huge sympathy with countries that rely heavily on tourism. Hotel occupancy rates of 15%-20% are being reported around the Med, with many establishments expected to close in October until next season. That's a huge loss making year.

Back
Top Bottom