How is the corona virus affecting you?

I just took a look and as of Saturday the 12th the Netherlands have 365 people in ICU. You also have to keep in mind that when a Country has a high vaccination rate that the increase in hospitals is approx 50% less than not having anybody vaccinated, this also holds true with deaths. Everyone will eventually have the virus enter their nostrils, it going to happen whether we like it or not and I know this is of no consequence but this can be an advantage in the future with less infection, hospitalization and deaths from pure herd immunity. As opposed to other countries that tried to avoid it completely and are only now realizing governmentally that they need to learn to live with it. for them the infections are just beginning.
No, we have 365 COVID patients on the ICU. The rest is normal ICU patients .

What's even more ridicoulous is we have a 85% vaxxed rate but it's still not enough because our politicians refuse to invest money in healthcare. With an ICU capacity of only 1350 beds total on 17 million people, it's not surprising there's a crisis

Our healthcare providers in the US are private enterprises, not the government. We've experienced the same lack of ICU beds in places like Texas that you had in The Netherlands. In Texas (Nov 13, 2012), we have 7,498 ICU beds for 29-million people. 6,782 are occupied, and only 716 available -- in the whole State.

Our healthcare providers in the US are private enterprises, not the government. We've experienced the same lack of ICU beds in places like Texas that you had in The Netherlands. In Texas (Nov 13, 2012), we have 7,498 ICU beds for 29-million people. 6,782 are occupied, and only 716 available -- in the whole State.
Our healthcare is privatized too, but the system is a complex semi government corporate I can not really explain well.
Your situation sure sounds dire too!

My wife is currently driving me crazy.

After the jab yesterday she was continuously asking me about side effects. "There aren't any", I kept assuring her. "Take Paracetamol, just in case". "No, there's nothing wrong with me". Last night night she reckons that I had a fever. It was news to me.

I am now getting my own back.

Today, my wife had her first Pfizer injection. I've already asked her four times if she wants some Paracetamol!

Booster shot is getting further out of sight for me again. Now January is only guaranteed for those between 60 and 70, and they're planning to give boosters according to age group and not prioritise at risk groups in spite of age like they did before.
So as I am only 34 I can expect a booster maybe in spring some time with the way things are going. It's just all so frustrating.

I´m currently in Cincinnati. The only people I see wearing masks are those who work in supermarkets, stores, and bars. There´s a sign in Kroger supermarkets asking folks to mask up if they´re not vaccinated, but no-one is enforcing this. I was at the US vs Mexico soccer game last Friday and I don´t think I saw more than a dozen people with masks - except the staff at the game.
Our politicians around the world seem, to me, to have little idea how to control or mitigate the pandemic. At the moment, it´s draconian measures or let-it-be; as far as I´m concerned, it´s Us vs Them. What a mess!

What are your thoughts and NZ in general Russ about the virus getting out in general into the population?

Its already in the south island now and unstoppable. You only need to look at flight radar to see planes everywhere. Auckland people falsifying to go skiing in queenstown. Wtf, a lawyer ffs. Flights from China multiple times a day into Auckland. Our border was and is a joke.

Russ

Booster shot is getting further out of sight for me again. Now January is only guaranteed for those between 60 and 70, and they're planning to give boosters according to age group and not prioritise at risk groups in spite of age like they did before.
So as I am only 34 I can expect a booster maybe in spring some time with the way things are going. It's just all so frustrating.
Your double vaxxed I'd suspect. Statistically around 95% of the hospitalization and death are in people over 60 and most are over 80, so it makes sense they are prioritizing by age. Keep in mind that waning antibodies is quite normal and what they and most gov't haven't disclosed is why that happens. It's out B cells mostly and T cells a lymphocyte and what they do is produce antibodies when they detect a virus they recognize and this lasts for quite a long time sometimes our whole lives and the T cells maintain cell immunity and a supporting role for B cells. Basically the booster is to increase antibodies, which will work but it's a first world problem. Our B cells will kick in if we are in contact with covid and even if our antibodies are only 50% effective from waning the chances of ICU or death is minuscule, so we need to keep that in mind imo. We have over a billion people on this planet that haven't had even their first jab and there's front line workers in Africa right now that are not protected at all and can't even get a vaccine even if they wanted one, something to think about.

Hopefully things improve and I suspect that this spike is the Delta doing what it does best and the aftermath is what generally is understood as the beginning of a Countries endemic relationship with covid, at least that what Canada is hoping and many other Countries like India right now and Singapore that was just leveled with the Delta variant and is heading down. Most people are presumed to have came into contact with the Delta and went through their population like a dry brush fire, like it did in India. Both Countries will have very high natural immunity now, which needs to be recognized in NA like it is in most Countries. I'm not saying everyone doesn't deserve a booster I'm just saying that your B cells will help everyone stay safer and if we happen to come into contact with covid, which is going to happen, it's inevitable that it turns out to be a minor thing which if you believe in data and stats that is generally what is happening and is the beginning of the end of covid.....it's immunity that will end this pandemic and hopefully everyone gets vaccinated to protect themselves from a worst case scenario.

Here's something on B cells.
B cell memory: understanding COVID-19

Recap​

A hallmark of immune responses to pathogens is to create a memory of the response, which is the persistence of small numbers of pathogen-specific B and T cells and the PCs that secrete pathogen-specific Abs. Immune memory may block future infections without symptoms developing either by continued production of neutralizing Abs from long-lived PCs or, if that Ab amount diminishes, by recalling memory B and T cells to rapidly produce new PBs and thus restore high-affinity, neutralizing Abs in circulation.

Ab means antibodies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom