How is the corona virus affecting you?

Your double vaxxed I'd suspect. Statistically around 95% of the hospitalization and death are in people over 60 and most are over 80, so it makes sense they are prioritizing by age. Keep in mind that waning antibodies is quite normal and what they and most gov't haven't disclosed is why that happens. It's out B cells mostly and T cells a lymphocyte and what they do is produce antibodies when they detect a virus they recognize and this lasts for quite a long time sometimes our whole lives and the T cells maintain cell immunity and a supporting role for B cells. Basically the booster is to increase antibodies, which will work but it's a first world problem. Our B cells will kick in if we are in contact with covid and even if our antibodies are only 50% effective from waning the chances of ICU or death is minuscule, so we need to keep that in mind imo. We have over a billion people on this planet that haven't had even their first jab and there's front line workers in Africa right now that are not protected at all and can't even get a vaccine even if they wanted one, something to think about.

Hopefully things improve and I suspect that this spike is the Delta doing what it does best and the aftermath is what generally is understood as the beginning of a Countries endemic relationship with covid, at least that what Canada is hoping and many other Countries like India right now and Singapore that was just leveled with the Delta variant and is heading down. Most people are presumed to have came into contact with the Delta and went through their population like a dry brush fire, like it did in India. Both Countries will have very high natural immunity now, which needs to be recognized in NA like it is in most Countries. I'm not saying everyone doesn't deserve a booster I'm just saying that your B cells will help everyone stay safer and if we happen to come into contact with covid, which is going to happen, it's inevitable that it turns out to be a minor thing which if you believe in data and stats that is generally what is happening and is the beginning of the end of covid.....it's immunity that will end this pandemic and hopefully everyone gets vaccinated to protect themselves from a worst case scenario.

Here's something on B cells.
B cell memory: understanding COVID-19

Recap​

A hallmark of immune responses to pathogens is to create a memory of the response, which is the persistence of small numbers of pathogen-specific B and T cells and the PCs that secrete pathogen-specific Abs. Immune memory may block future infections without symptoms developing either by continued production of neutralizing Abs from long-lived PCs or, if that Ab amount diminishes, by recalling memory B and T cells to rapidly produce new PBs and thus restore high-affinity, neutralizing Abs in circulation.

Ab means antibodies.
Yeah, you're completely right when you have a normal functioning immune system and are young. But I am one of those people with a compromised immune system, who has asthma, several other chronic conditions and a past of 3 seperate pulmonary embolisms.
I think it's awful that there's not enough vaccines being created for those who are in poorer countries, but I get told every day on the news that I am possibly at risk again due to the vaccine not working properly for at risk groups.
It's not like someone in a poor country will get vaxxed if I decline my booster, that will then just go to someone else in this country. The government makes these decisions, and while I agree they should help poorer countries out I will not let my booster go because of political structures I have no influence on.

The FDA is planning to approve bosters for anyone over 18, who had their final vaccine at least six months ago. But, for all practical purposes, they are being given to anyone who wants one, now. I got my booster last week.

CD

Yeah, you're completely right when you have a normal functioning immune system and are young. But I am one of those people with a compromised immune system, who has asthma, several other chronic conditions and a past of 3 seperate pulmonary embolisms.
I think it's awful that there's not enough vaccines being created for those who are in poorer countries, but I get told every day on the news that I am possibly at risk again due to the vaccine not working properly for at risk groups.
It's not like someone in a poor country will get vaxxed if I decline my booster, that will then just go to someone else in this country. The government makes these decisions, and while I agree they should help poorer countries out I will not let my booster go because of political structures I have no influence on.
I'm not a fan of politics either but I wouldn't necessarily stress too much Windigo about the booster shot. Topping up antibodies to the 95% space is a good preventative measure, but keep in mind your B cells will kick in and be protective as well. Do not underestimate this function because it's not talked about very much. The deaths are from mostly the unvaccinated or the very very old and compromised. The breakout infections that we're hearing about which is vaccinated people getting re infected the deaths are extremely low, rare actually, so you have to keep that in mind. It's a talking point that is fraught in political and social diatribe. Also the Netherlands case fatality rate is very low comparatively speaking, actually one of the lowest which is the amount of people that die compared to the amount of people that are in contact with the virus. This can be attributed to a higher vaccination rate and probably the overall health status of the Country, but that is just a guess on my part. I know that that makes a difference but haven't looked at the health in general of the Netherlands, but my impression is that it's better than most. Also the Netherlands "r" reproduction rate has not gone up since Oct 10th. but tried too 3 times and failed which is more than a month and is slightly downward at the moment. That's an indication that Delta is having a harder time finding hosts and I suspect that the Netherlands once it turns the corner and the trend is solidly downward that the Netherlands like Canada will have enough overall immunity from either natural immunity or immunity from vaccinations to begin the endemic phase.

The only way, and this is literally the only way this won't happen and the pandemic ratchets up to new levels is that a new variant comes out and ravishes the worlds population much like the Delta variant did when it crushed the Alpha variant. That's not happening at the moment. There is the AY. 4.2 variant, an off shoot of the Delta but the 2 mutations that have been sequenced aren't showing much influence and power. It's basically a weakling compared to delta and most agencies have discounted it as a VOI "variant of interest". But if one does show up like it did in India with the 900lb gorilla virus Delta, then all bets are off, and we're screwed, again. The longer the Delta virus spreads the more potential it has of mutating, that's just what viruses do, that's how they survive. As long as there's a billion people unvaccinated there's an opportunity for Delta to mutate and why the urgency by many countries and Canada is one of them that are donating millions of doses to these people. I suspect if there is a new variant that rears it head that it will come out of Africa. the vaccination rate there is in the 2% range overall and if a mutation is going to gestate it will be there. Also much of Africa has had very little to no infection last year and it's now virgin territory for the Delta virus, it's kind of scary actually. On the more positive side of my brain I like to believe that in mostly the sub saharan African people have been taking medications to help mitigate infectious disease for years now and many of these medications are immune boosters. There is a big picture involved here that needs some compassion because in the end it helps you, me and everyone else get to a world herd immunity and not just a Country herd immunity.

A final thought. Not sure which vaccines you had but they're all different. Moderna is turning out to be the most powerful, just thought I'd mention that and if your second jap was more than 3 weeks from the first jap then the waning is far less pronounced. I believe now they're saying 12 weeks minimum going forward. This fact is something I touched on in one of my posts a while back. Anyway the waning is not very much and if you believe in data we're not in that much of a vulnerable state as it's made out to be. Trust me fear is a tool that has been used all throughout this pandemic, just ignore that from the gov't and from media. Also considering the Netherlands geographical location I personally would recommend that you talk to your Dr. and get your Vit D levels checked. Most people in the northern hemisphere are deficient in vit D. All studies from different Countries are showing low vitamin d levels in people that die from covid. This is just observational but is consistant with the data and considering the synergistic relationship vit D has with our immune system it comes as no surprise to me. Personally I'm taking 4000Iu daily, but again talk to your Dr about that. Take care.

Last edited:
The FDA is planning to approve bosters for anyone over 18, who had their final vaccine at least six months ago. But, for all practical purposes, they are being given to anyone who wants one, now. I got my booster last week.

CD
Yep, in Canada there have been 17 deaths with people under 20 and 79 deaths from people 20 to 29 from a population of 38 million. 70% of Canadians are in favor of vaccinating and boosting anything that can move faster than a crawl going forward. Risk/Benefit analysis are interesting but not talked about at all because it goes against the social/political narrative. Interesting nevertheless.

Last edited:
When I was young. We used to have a thing we called Show and Tell. When it was our turn, we would share something that happened to us, and show it to the class. For today’s Show and Tell, I am here to say:

I have Covid! In fact, so does my entire family!

My brother-in-law is a counselor who had meetings through his computer last year, and decided to go back to in person appointments this year. I’ve seen his office. It’s a small, enclosed space with no real ventilation. I know that he lost some clients last year, because they don’t like to meet through the computer, or don’t know how to. And, we live in an area where a lot of people don’t like to wear masks. I think I can do the math here: he probably allowed his clients to not wear a mask, and I’m not sure if he did. And, even if they both did wear masks, they are in an enclosed space, breathing each other‘s air.

My wife’s mom was staying with them at the time: she alternates staying here or there every few weeks. When we found out that he tested positive, we told her to get out of the house as soon as possible, and that we would get the rest of her things later. But, it was too late. She said that he complained about feeling hot, so she did like any mom would do: she put her hand on his forehead to feel, and said that he was burning up. Oops.

Before she got her test results, she decided to be nice and empty our dishwasher for us. I didn’t realize this until later. Of course, that meant that she touched every single one of our eating utensils, plates and such, so there was no saving us at that point.

The good news is that, with the vaccine, we have all gotten through this pretty well. She is 80 years old with leukemia, and she felt a bit rundown, with a headache and runny nose, but she’s doing much better now. I’ve had a runny nose and sneezing for a few days, with some fatigue, but not much other than that.

The mind boggling thing is that my wife’s uncle still won’t get vaccinated. He has seen his brother, sister, and nephew die from Covid, and now his sister catches it, and he still won’t get the vaccine. She has been pleading with him to get vaccinated, since he’s older than she is, and she knows she would be dead now if she had not been vaccinated. I really don’t understand some people. Just because he’s in Tennessee doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to listen to science, or firsthand experiences for that matter.

Last edited:
When I was young. We used to have a thing we called Show and Tell. When it was our turn, we would share something that happened to us, and show it to the class. For today’s Show and Tell, I am here to say:

My brother-in-law is a counselor who had meetings through his computer last year, and decided to go back to in person appointments this year. I’ve seen his office. It’s a small, enclosed space with no real ventilation. I know that he lost some clients last year, because they don’t like to meet through the computer, or don’t know how to. And, we live in an area where a lot of people don’t like to wear masks. I think I can do the math here: he probably allowed his clients to not wear a mask, and I’m not sure if he did. And, even if they both did wear masks, they are in an enclosed space, breathing each other‘s air.

My wife’s mom was staying with them at the time: she alternates staying here or there every few weeks. When we found out that he tested positive, we told her to get out of the house as soon as possible, and that we would get the rest of her things later. But, it was too late. She said that he complained about feeling hot, so she did like any mom would do: she put her hand on his forehead to feel, and said that he was burning up. Oops.

Before she got her test results, she decided to be nice and empty our dishwasher for us. I didn’t realize this until later. Of course, that meant that she touched every single one of our eating utensils, plates and such, so there was no saving us at that point.

The good news is that, with the vaccine, we have all gotten through this pretty well. She is 80 years old with leukemia, and she felt a bit rundown, with a headache and runny nose, but she’s doing much better now. I’ve had a runny nose and sneezing for a few days, with some fatigue, but not much other than that.

The mind boggling thing is that my wife’s uncle still won’t get vaccinated. He has seen his brother, sister, and nephew die from Covid, and now his sister catches it, and he still won’t get the vaccine. She has been pleading with him to get vaccinated, since he’s older than she is, and she knows she would be dead now if she had not been vaccinated. I really don’t understand some people. Just because he’s in Tennessee doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to listen to science, or firsthand experiences for that matter.

Sorry to hear this, you know best how to handle this.

Russ

I'm so sorry to hear this. I am glad the vaccine is doing its thing for you and yours. I'm so afraid that I don't go anywhere despite being vaccinated and my kids don't come in the house (their choice as well as mine). Perhaps I'm paranoid but I can't see the point in taking any risks at my age.

I hope you're all back to feeling better as soon as possible.

Well wishes to you and your entire family.

Michigan, at the moment, is claimed to be a hot spot for covid in the US. I'm happy to hear that you all got vaccinated and have survived the infection, but am surprised that with the vaccination, you had any symptoms at all.

Back in late February 2020, I got COVID19 without being vaccinated and it was a hard hit, mostly, because of the immune response. And it was picked up not by respiration, but by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching hand held food I ingested. Your dishwasher experience seems to have gone that way.

I still don't think many people understand that a lot of major harm from COVID infection is done by the human body's immune response and less by the virus compromising cellular genetic machinery and destroying cells and tissue. A severe immune response, a so called cytokene storm, can cause tissue damage and is not localized, effecting everything from internal organs to circulation and nervous systems.

The worse infection is a respiratory infection which directly affects lung tissue and I suppose, suffers most from the virus doing actual cell and tissue damage, augmented by immune system response. A gastro infection seems to suffer mostly, a severe (cytokene storm) immune response impact, much more easy to live through, but still a major hit that can be fatal.

BTW: Face masks should for everybody, become a standard part of their clothing, when going out into the world where they encounter other people. COVID is NOT going away.

Wishing you and your family well! Hope you recover soon :hug:

As for the Netherlands, news is that from friday on we're most likely going into a full lockdown as the worst case scenario in hospitals is starting to become real. Press conference about that will be on friday evening.

News is that Europe is facing a steep increase in COVID and to add to that they just had a really severe jet stream storm system sock them.

Back
Top Bottom