How is the corona virus affecting you?

So here in Portugal there's a small village called Covide (the "e" is silent). Apparently this sign has become an instagram sensation with people stopping to take photos with it :D
View attachment 54545

EDIT: There's an even creepier sign saying you are 19kms way from Covid(e)!
View attachment 54546
cov_4.JPG

Covid has hit close to home. Several family members , niece and her husband, Great grands from another side of the family all had mild cases. They are all young and generally healthy. We have friends, old folks like, us who have ended up in the hospital on a ventilator. Two friends have died. Several acquaintances have been very ill and three have died. I am extremely offended by anyone who tries to down play the severity of this pandemic. I need to grocery shop tomorrow. I usually order for pick up bur I need a few special ingredients that I do not trust a "personal shopper" to select. When I actually go into a store I challenge both associates and customers who are not wearing mask or wearing them improperly. I do not care if they get Covid. I do care that they may be asymptomatic and infecting everyone they come in contact with.
I quit smoking April 7th after 50+ years of smoking. My lungs are trashed. My fault. If I get covid it will be bad. My greatest fear is being put on a ventilator. Early on G down played Covid. "A Chinese Conspiracy fostered by the Democrats". That lasted until his friends ended up in the hospital or dead.
I am tired. I am very concerned about my 89 year old mother. I am concerned about myself and George and other family members who are at high risk.
I get P!ssed when I encounter people in the grocery store either not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly.

Covid has hit close to home. Several family members , niece and her husband, Great grands from another side of the family all had mild cases. They are all young and generally healthy. We have friends, old folks like, us who have ended up in the hospital on a ventilator. Two friends have died. Several acquaintances have been very ill and three have died. I am extremely offended by anyone who tries to down play the severity of this pandemic. I need to grocery shop tomorrow. I usually order for pick up bur I need a few special ingredients that I do not trust a "personal shopper" to select. When I actually go into a store I challenge both associates and customers who are not wearing mask or wearing them improperly. I do not care if they get Covid. I do care that they may be asymptomatic and infecting everyone they come in contact with.
I quit smoking April 7th after 50+ years of smoking. My lungs are trashed. My fault. If I get covid it will be bad. My greatest fear is being put on a ventilator. Early on G down played Covid. "A Chinese Conspiracy fostered by the Democrats". That lasted until his friends ended up in the hospital or dead.
I am tired. I am very concerned about my 89 year old mother. I am concerned about myself and George and other family members who are at high risk.
I get P!ssed when I encounter people in the grocery store either not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly.

Well, I'm at least glad that G saw the light, but wish he didn't have to see his friends suffer to get the memo.

I worry, too, because I have a bad liver. My parents are 86 and 88. My mom never goes anywhere, but my 88-year-old dad can't stay home.

CD

My sister got her second Covid vaccine shot today -- on her birthday. I went with her, in case she has side effects, which she didn't. She got the Pfizer vaccine. Her hospital is using Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

My sister said that the UK is giving doses three months apart. Is that true? If so, that is pretty risky. I believe the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is being used there, too. It is not approved here, yet.

CD

My sister got her second Covid vaccine shot today -- on her birthday. I went with her, in case she has side effects, which she didn't. She got the Pfizer vaccine. Her hospital is using Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

My sister said that the UK is giving doses three months apart. Is that true? If so, that is pretty risky. I believe the Astra-Zeneca vaccine is being used there, too. It is not approved here, yet.

CD
Yes it is true. The initial plan was to give two doses, 7 days apart. Supply problems caused the government to change the plan and give two doses twelve weeks apart, so that more people could be vaccinated. Given that the first plan had been developed by the scientists who created the vaccines, and the second plan made on the hoof by politicians I do have concerns.

Just got this "Don’t worry about us we are coping now. Nathan is improving. Patrick is oblivious just has me up every night, he’s not settling. It just means more weeks of isolating for the 4 of us. Shit time to be off so much work I cannot do. X" Her husband must be home from hospital, Debs herself has a bad dose of covid. She is one of many courageous people.

Yes it is true. The initial plan was to give two doses, 7 days apart. Supply problems caused the government to change the plan and give two doses twelve weeks apart, so that more people could be vaccinated. Given that the first plan had been developed by the scientists who created the vaccines, and the second plan made on the hoof by politicians I do have concerns.

Initially it was 21 days I think, not 7. It does seem that the priority of giving the first dose to as many as possible is probably sensible, given the rapid spread of the new variant. Scientist seem to agree that this first dose will offer enough protection for most people and that waiting three months shouldn't cause too much of an issue. Its to do with logistics really.

Initially it was 21 days I think, not 7. It does seem that the priority of giving the first dose to as many as possible is probably sensible, given the rapid spread of the new variant. Scientist seem to agree that this first dose will offer enough protection for most people and that waiting three months shouldn't cause too much of an issue. Its to do with logistics really.

Two weeks apart is ideal. The manufacturers of the vaccines are not in agreement with the UK's plan of getting the first dose to as may people as possible, and putting the second dose off for three months.

I'm thinking that the politicians are overruling the scientists with that plan.

CD

The way it "works" in the UK is that government ignores what scientists say until such time as it's flaming obvious to all and sundry and we get the next u-turn. This usually involves Bozo or the health minister, "Door" Matt Hancock continuing to blast away with the party line and then saying the exact opposite 24 hours later.

Thanks mate, my niece has just messaged me "Nathan and Patrick have covid. Results are back positive".
That's awful, but I'm not shocked. Honestly, that the thing, as the one who goes out for the shopping, that scares me; bringing it home and passing it on to MrsT before any symptoms set in. I don't know how a family is supposed to avoid that, apart from never leaving the house...for over a year.

I hoping for the best for them. Please keep us posted.

That's awful, but I'm not shocked. Honestly, that the thing, as the one who goes out for the shopping, that scares me; bringing it home and passing it on to MrsT before any symptoms set in. I don't know how a family is supposed to avoid that, apart from never leaving the house...for over a year.

I hoping for the best for them. Please keep us posted.
Thank you mate.We were expecting and dreading this happening with Debs caring for Covid patients from the start of the pandemic.

Sorry to hear how things are going ElizabethB and Burt Blank . Wishing you the best with your families, hope a better year is ahead of you.

And on a larger scale I hope 2021 will treat us all better after the vaccines have been rolled out everywhere. Tomorrow we'll have our Prime minister speak again, the lockdown will be extended for at least another 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom