How long will marinated chicken be good for

MrMajeika

Local time
10:01 AM
I had some chicken thighs that last night I put in a nandos style marinade. I didn't end up cooking them last night, tonight I've been working late so not sure if I have the patience. Thinking to leave them till tomorrow night but worried that as the marinade contains salt and vinegar the texture of the chicken might start to break down if it has been marinated for 48hrs?

Yes it will. Chicken really shouldn't be marinated in an acid containing mixture longer than 24 hours at the most.

Marinating chicken for an extended period can certainly intensify the flavors, but you're right to be mindful about the potential for the texture to change. Typically, chicken can safely marinate in the refrigerator for two days.

Salt and vinegar in your marinade do act as tenderizers and could start to alter the texture of the chicken over time. If it's a high-acidity marinade (which might be the case with a Nandos-style marinade because of vinegar), leaving the chicken in it for more than 24 hours could potentially cause the meat to become a bit mushy. However, this largely depends on the exact composition of your marinade and the ratio of acid to other ingredients.

Always remember to check the chicken before cooking. If it smells off or has a slimy texture, it's better to err on the side of caution and discard it.

Yes it will. Chicken really shouldn't be marinated in an acid containing mixture longer than 24 hours at the most.

I've never gone that long with chicken in a marinade. I'm not saying it won't work. I've just never pushed it that far. Four hours seems to work okay for me.

CD

I've never gone that long with chicken in a marinade. I'm not saying it won't work. I've just never pushed it that far. Four hours seems to work okay for me.

CD

We use bone-in thighs so they can stand up to a longer marinade than breasts or legs or wings.

Back
Top Bottom