How many places do you set up to eat, inside your house (or outdoors)?

I often slip into the kitchen to quickly tidy up & will wash a sinkful while Im in there.
Washing dishes is a purely functional thing for me, not something I want to see anyone do or have anyone see me do.

Don't you guys have a dishwasher? I don't wash anything by hand unless its baked on crud (in which case it soaks first). And the cast-iron skillet gets hand washed or simply wiped depending on what is cooked in it.

Buongiorno a tutti,
Eating arrangement, depend on who at house an why. We have formal dinning room has eight seat, there is small table in kitchen with four seat. Then in conservatory table an six seat. We eat most of time in either kitchen or conservatory. We have patio set for summer time. I do no allow eat in lounges because carpet white, main lounge is family room then have smaller lounge with TV an other entertainments.
I have double door from kitchen into conservatory an same into main lounge, formal dinning room single door for serve.
This picture of conservatory. Conservatory was made by company call Bennbrook windows they in Harlow UK.
We think to have breakfast bar but decide against.

Sarana x

My SIL's kitchen is like that - the kitchen is small, smaller than mine, even though their house is far bigger (probably built in the late-1990's), and I have to say, I don't like the sink like that.

Her kitchen is a square, and the sink area sits across a corner, more or less, so it looks out on both the dining room and the living room.

Even though I'm not a social person, I could understand if that were the prep area, or counter space used as an eat-in area, or coffee service, but a sink feels almost like having a bathroom with no door on it to me.

Washing dishes is a purely functional thing for me, not something I want to see anyone do or have anyone see me do. When we visit, I always do the dishes (what little there are, as they can't, won't, and don't cook), and I always feel extremely self-conscious when I do so, because everyone can see me.

While I don't want my kitchen sink (or kitchen anything) looking out on the living room, I an really glad my sink does look out to the dining region - for a few reasons.

When I was a teen, the sink in the parental house faced outside, and one's back was to the other side of the kitchen, beyond which was the dining room. Inevitably when the folks had company or relatives over, I'd be directed to do the dishes while they were still sitting there, conversing. Some of the conversations were interesting, and I enjoyed listening and politely conversing back. Mother, just as soon as the last bite of dessert was eaten, would direct me to go do the dishes. Which meant I had no further opportunity to participate in the gathering. I am determined not to live like that here.

The other reason the sink isn't by my window (which would be a 90 degree turn instead of a 180 - is that the majority of prep work is done in daylight. I can look up and out and appreciate the south exposure, and chickens running amok, and so forth. I'd say it's dark out close to 50% of wash up time, and especially true if I am entertaining (which is usually dinner). Prepping for me is creative work, and having the window Right There works to encourage that.

At any rate, no matter where the sink would be in the kitchen, the folks eating can still see the dish washing person, just from a different angle.

EDITED TO ADD: It is also convenient for someone in the dining room to just reach over to re-fill a water tumbler. I also keep the coffee station on the dining side of the peninsula, easy enough for them to pour another, or for (me, usually) to add more water/coffee to the coffee maker from there.

Last edited:
Yes, dishwashing goes a lot faster than it used to. (My parents would bring out their gold leaf dishes for dinner parties - negatory for them going into the dishwasher proper, ever. And their long stemmed glassware for wine.. nope, not that, either.)

As it is, I do want to make sure leftover blobs don't end up in the dishwasher, and anything with cheese that has melted onto a plate needs to be washed off first.

Also when I have the 12-15 group crew over, not everything will all fit (and I don't use disposable plates).

PS I still have their dish set, but I never use it - for that reason. I'd like to re-home it frankly, but I don't just want it trashed somewhere.

Don't you guys have a dishwasher? I don't wash anything by hand unless its baked on crud (in which case it soaks first). And the cast-iron skillet gets hand washed or simply wiped depending on what is cooked in it.
Yes, we have a dishwasher, and most things go in it, but not everything. Cast iron, obviously not. Same with nonstick cookware (of which I just have two pans, so no big deal).

Some of the very old, very valuable glassware doesn't go in, and I won't run my glass measuring cups through because, over time, the markings will wear off. Also, there are a few plastic containers I have - those say they're top-shelf safe, but I don't quite trust that and the top shelf fills up pretty quickly with other stuff.

Then there's one other factor - emptying the dishwasher is the one thing MrsTasty will do in the kitchen. However, she's slow about it, and it can take her up to two days to get it emptied, and in that time, I need to do some dishes. :)

As to the sink and being able to engage with guests, I think that just comes down to my introverted personality in person - I don't always want to interact with guests (what little we entertain), and going to the kitchen gives me a good excuse to extract myself, leave the entertaining to my wife, and get a little mental breather.

I'll further specify something I said earlier - in a perfect kitchen, my gas cooktop would have ample prep space on both sides, not just one. I probably could get by nicely with a kitchen from a cooking show set. :)

Then there's one other factor - emptying the dishwasher is the one thing MrsTasty will do in the kitchen. However, she's slow about it, and it can take her up to two days to get it emptied, and in that time, I need to do some dishes. :)

On that front I have it solved. The dishwasher only goes on when I go to bed. In the morning, partner gets up much earlier than I do (at 5.30 am) and empties the dishwasher before I get up. Admittedly he does put some things in odd places but at least each day I have an empty dishwasher and all dishes, saucepans etc. are clean.

On that front I have it solved. The dishwasher only goes on when I go to bed. In the morning, partner gets up much earlier than I do (at 5.30 am) and empties the dishwasher before I get up. Admittedly he does put some things in odd places but at least each day I have an empty dishwasher and all dishes, saucepans etc. are clean.
I ran it last night. The routine will be:

10AM - MrTasty will have a bowl of cereal and try to put the dirty bowl in the dishwasher.

"That's clean. I ran it last night."

"Ok, I'll empty it in a bit."

Noonish - I'll need something that's in the dishwasher, she'll hear the dishes clink while I get it out.

"Oh my god! I told you I'd empty that when I get a minute! Can't you wait one second?!"

<Note - she's been in her chair playing computer games, reading the news, and watching puppy videos all morning>

4PM, I really need to put the dirty lunch dishes in the dishwasher, so I have room to cook supper, so I ask her when she thinks she'll get to it, as I need to start supper.

"Can't you just put those in the sink? I'll get it emptied after we eat."

This will go on for another day or so. Sometimes, I'll get fed up and just empty it, then get a "That's why I never help, you're too impatient," comment. 😒

I have a good story along these lines from when we were first married that I'll share one of these days.

This will go on for another day or so.

I can't bear to start cooking if clean stuff is in the dishwasher from the night before. I need to be able to stack stuff in the dishwasher as I do the prep. If it were me I'd empty it myself, first thing. It really only takes a few minutes to do.

Last edited:
Here is the only table to eat on inside the house and its where I spend all my time sitting if I'm not cooking. This room is at the front of the house, looking out on the street and south facing so it gets the most light. The glass table is not my choice. It was here when we moved in 17 years ago! I keep meaning to replace it but can't find one I like. I do rather like glass as it makes the room appear more spacious. The chairs are 1930's or 40's bought long ago from a junk shop.

MG I like your white cabinetry.
The kitchen is eat in, a 6 chair table off to the side. It is currently occupied by the computer and assorted junk. Off of the kitchen is a large room that is supposed to be a dining/ sitting area with an eight chair dining table. There is a table on the patio. We use it when eating boiled seafood. I sit outside for my morning coffee and evening cocktail. Unfortunately most of our meals are eaten in the den, on tray tables, in front of the idiot box. 😔 Not good.

Unfortunately most of our meals are eaten in the den, on tray tables, in front of the idiot box. 😔 Not good.

We did a poll about this a while back. I was really shocked by how few people here eat at a dining table given this is a food forum. My TV is clearly viewed from the dining table - so there's no need to move elsewhere to watch it. I find it really difficult to eat in an easy chair on a tray. And I like the way the food looks on a table. I think there is a bit of US/UK divide on this one for some reason.

We mainly eat at the kitchen table for convenience. It's old and knarly, made in India from some unknown fruit wood so can be bleached. It seats six comfortably, and faces out on to the garden through French doors that are mostly open now the weather is picking up. We also have a formal dining table that seldom gets used. I sometimes wonder why we have it - it has probably been used less than a dozen times in the last eight years, but it is a thing of beauty and has been in my wife's family for a few generations. What I am really looking forward to is setting up a table in the garden when temperatures are reliably above 20 deg C. Breakfast outdoors is a great start to the day!

Yes we do. His name is Clayton.

There was an old machine there but we got rid of it.

We did a poll about this a while back. I was really shocked by how few people here eat at a dining table given this is a food forum. My TV is clearly viewed from the dining table - so there's no need to move elsewhere to watch it. I find it really difficult to eat in an easy chair on a tray. And I like the way the food looks on a table. I think there is a bit of US/UK divide on this one for some reason.

When I cook we always eat at the dining table, generally I like to put the dishes in the centre so my son sets the table with appropriate plates and cutlery. Drinks were always my daughters job but she’s not home often now so it’s GYO. TV off. Music on.

While I’m away for work the boys sit in the lounge eating off the coffee table so they can watch TV.

Back
Top Bottom