How much do you spend (per head) on food per week?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:27 AM
I could add a poll to this but we are all using different currencies so its complicated. Simple question though: on average, what is your weekly expenditure on food, per capita?

At the moment I'm not eating out at all and I reckon my food bill is around £20 - £25 per week per capita (there are two of us here). But it varies a lot as I splurge on expensive ingredients now and then. We eat very little meat which keeps the costs down.

The alcohol bill per week is another story...

I'll have to make an effort to keep track. Just to be clear, you're asking how much we spend on groceries each week, versus how much we actually consume each week, right?

We do a shop on a Saturday, which tops up the pantries. We have two, one in kitchen for day to day plus one in the hallway for baking and tinned stuff. Around $100 plus bits during the week. So prolly $150 a week but that's a bit more as daughter and mr7 are here. I prolly have about $500 worth of meat etc in the freezers. Minimum Hourly rate here is around $17 hr so that gives you some relative pricing. I drive trucks for a friend at times and that pays $35 hr.
We also preserve and bottle heaps of food as well.

Russ

My weekly food and beverage bill (excluding alcohol) is in excess of my wife's. On average I'd say mine would be around ฿ 1,400.00 (US$ 45.00) p.w. and my wife's would be half that.

Add a further ฿ 2,300.00 p.w. to mine for beer.

I'll have to make an effort to keep track. Just to be clear, you're asking how much we spend on groceries each week, versus how much we actually consume each week, right?

I was meaning the cost of how much we consume. Its hard to work out because obviously there are store cupboard or freezer goods which already exist in the house. But you can answer it any way you like really!

I was meaning the cost of how much we consume. Its hard to work out because obviously there are store cupboard or freezer goods which already exist in the house. But you can answer it any way you like really!
Yeah, I'd have to figure out how much of the $5 box of corn flakes I ate in a single serving. It's doable, but I'd probably have to take the week off work in order to have the time to weigh and calculate everything. :laugh:

Weekly grocery bill, though I'll keep better track in the next couple of weeks, is around $150US, but some of that isn't food us - it's non-food items and food for the dog. I'll break it down over the next few shopping trips.

Didn't we have a thread about how much you spend per week on groceries? Or was that too old?

Right, it also depends on how extravagant we are from week to week. Also if I managed to get luxury items on sale, like that whole beef tenderloin for $9.99 lb. that made multiple packages of steaks. I'm a pretty frugal shopper but I like to eat well. I'd say we consume $70-$140 a week in food. This past week we ate a lot of seafood, which is expensive.

Didn't we have a thread about how much you spend per week on groceries? Or was that too old?

I expect we did. Its just that we really need new threads. There is plenty of posting going on but not many people are starting new threads aside from recipes. I'm constantly looking for threads to feature...

I expect we did. Its just that we really need new threads. There is plenty of posting going on but not many people are starting new threads aside from recipes. I'm constantly looking for threads to feature...

Good idea. I find I don't go to the poultry rearing forums I am a member of, much. There seems to be no real effort there to keep new conversations flowing.

At the moment I'm not eating out at all and I reckon my food bill is around £20 - £25 per week per capita (there are two of us here). But it varies a lot as I splurge on expensive ingredients now and then. We eat very little meat which keeps the costs down.

About the same, we have 4 here part time and spend either around 80 when the kids are here and about 50 when they are not.

We don't drink regularly but we have takeout about once every two weeks and visit a restaurant every other week so if we counted that our spend would be higher. But our total food budget is about 250-300 euro a month and that's a fine amount.

I think our bill is high, but everything has gone up with the pandemic. Groceries have increased by 11% the last time I read and it's probably more than that right now. Plus I buy more than I used to because I can't just go to the store anytime I want. What I used to buy one of, I now buy 2 of every time so that there is always 1-2 in waiting. This is not the way I like to shop. Ideally I buy whatever I want to cook and any pantry items that we are running low on and thats all. At any rate I've been getting groceries once a week and the bill has been as high as $200 if I am buying meat, and as low as $79 the last time I went (because the freezer was already too full, i was only buying fresh produce and dairy. I think the average bill is around $125 and there are only two of us although we do feed all the downtown cats, possums, raccoons. plus our two dogs.

Back
Top Bottom