How much water do you drink?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:03 PM
Do you drink water every day? I have to confess I rarely drink it on its own. I drink it in tea or occasionally coffee but that is all. I recently read a interview with a celebrity who said she drank two litres of water per day. I think she thought it was 'healthy'.

Is drinking water really 'healthy'? And how much water do you drink each day?

I only use water in tea, coffee, or drinking chocolate, and then it has to be filtered and boiled. Once a week I have to take a tablet that can only be taken with water - for a couple of hours afterwards I feel decidedly ill, even though I use filtered and boiled water. The last time I had only a couple of sips of tap water, I was on medication for a fortnight and only narrowly avoided becoming an inpatient at our local hospital.

Yeah it is usually recommended that you drink about 2 liters of water a day. I struggle with it as well but I recently bought a full liter water bottle and try to drink at least 1 to 1 and half each day. Water is an important resource to replenish considering our bodies are mostly water. It helps with things like blood circulation, kidney filtration, skin repair, joint health and a bunch of other things! The only real down side is you will probably have to pee a bit more.

And how much water do you drink each day?

None whatsoever.

To relate a story, a few of us were having a beer in our local on The Wirral and a friend asked the same question. I gave the same answer and he made up some story that there was water in beer. Next time I was at the bar, I mentioned what he had said to the landlord!

None whatsoever.

To relate a story, a few of us were having a beer in our local on The Wirral and a friend asked the same question. I gave the same answer and he made up some story that there was water in beer. Next time I was at the bar, I mentioned what he had said to the landlord!

:laugh:

I used to drink that non-alcoholic crap in the Middle East in the 80s. I assume that there may have been water in that. It certainly tasted like it.

Funny that it's called the "Middle East". The folks who live there don't consider it east at all. Same as "South East Asia". And who decided that there were western and eastern hemispheres?

There is a general misconception that you need to drink 2 litres of water a day. You don't. You need to drink 2litres of fluid a day and there is a major difference between the two. And of course that does not take into account the environment you are in either.

Ask any patient of a fluid restricted diet/dialysis what counts as fluid and it hugely different from what those of us who are not count as fluid as well. those on restricted diets will find the volume of things like yoghurt, custard and soup all counting towards their fluid intake and when you are on a 500ml per day (and I've known patients on less) restricted diet that is not a lot at all.

What do I drink a day - it can vary. I have known it as high as 10L of fluid a day when cycling in a hot environment and then there are days in winter or when out in the very cold when you are less than inclined to drink (even though it is just as vitally important as in hot weather) when I have drunk way too little. At the moment, it is still over the 2l of fluid a day. It always has been for as long as I can remember. I sweat a lot and always have done and as a result, I tend to need to drink more to keep the kidneys functioning.

Do I drink 2l of water a day? No, not a the moment.
Do I drink 2l of fluid a day? Yes, easily.

I have been drinking a lot of tonic water because my legs are giving me grief again and also a lot of iced lemon tea. I am fortunate enough to have lived on a private, untreated water supply most of my life, so I can drink most water. Where we are now, we drink untreated, unfiltered rain water. I have been for the last 2 years. When I lived in the UK, the water we drank was either straight off the mountainside or was from a deep well. I can only think of 2 occasions where the water has either not been drinkable or has failed for some reason - once when we lived in the Lake District in England when hikers broke the pipe from our tank leading into the farmhouse and another whilst we were on tour in Macedonia... the tap water in the hotel was cloudy and it wasn't a water pressure issue. We needed water so it was the one and only time we actually had to use our water filter and UV Steri-light pen (the combination cleared up the water and killed any viruses left unfiltered (too small for the filter) rendering the water safe and fit to drink).

I have been drinking a lot of tonic water because my legs are giving me grief again and also a lot of iced lemon tea. I am fortunate enough to have lived on a private, untreated water supply most of my life, so I can drink most water. Where we are now, we drink untreated, unfiltered rain water. I have been for the last 2 years. When I lived in the UK, the water we drank was either straight off the mountainside or was from a deep well. I can only think of 2 occasions where the water has either not been drinkable or has failed for some reason - once when we lived in the Lake District in England when hikers broke the pipe from our tank leading into the farmhouse and another whilst we were on tour in Macedonia... the tap water in the hotel was cloudy and it wasn't a water pressure issue. We needed water so it was the one and only time we actually had to use our water filter and UV Steri-light pen (the combination cleared up the water and killed any viruses left unfiltered (too small for the filter) rendering the water safe and fit to drink).

When I was in Thessaloniki several years ago, tap water was only available for a couple of hours a day and was used for showers, baths, flushing the loo, and washing up. I never used to drink water on its own, but used to drink tea or Greek coffee at breakfast time. The rest of the day it was either beer or wine. When I was living in the tiny village, all the water for human consumption or use was fetched from a mountain stream, above sheep line. When I was woken up in the mornings, there was always a hot bath waiting for me, plus a "shower" (Nitza tipping jugs of water over me). Again, there was tap water a couple of hours a day, and this was always used for watering the crops, either in their gardens or in the fields. It was never drunk. Unfortunately, nowadays, all the water is on tap - where some of the fields and a couple of the rivers were is now a rather large reservoir.

I am addicted to ice cold carbonated water, and probably do get through two litres most days.
All day long. We use the Soda Stream and make a knock off of San Pellegrino, as well as filtered water through the fridge.
I couldn't get my head around the complicated chemistry involved in this, but have settled on simply adding half a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate to each bottle instead.

I am addicted to ice cold carbonated water, and probably do get through two litres most days.
I couldn't get my head around the complicated chemistry involved in this, but have settled on simply adding half a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate to each bottle instead.

You can buy Burton Water Salts. They are pretty close to the taste. You can get them in the UK, I looked. Just add 1/4 to a rounded 1/4 tsp to your taste after you carbonate.

I do 1 gallon a day - for people have trouble, if you're at a desk or some such, you can use a Half-Gallon container (or lug around the full gallon). Once you have the amount you need to get through in front of you it becomes a lot easier to down. That's my experience, anyway.

Thanks @medtran49, I have found them online - only £2.70 for 200. I will pay a visit to the local home brew shop next time I go to town, they will probably stock them.

Back
Top Bottom