How often do you eat nuts?

Cashew nuts are native to Southern Venezuela and Northern Brazil. The cashew "nut" is actually attached to the bottom of a fruit and can be fairly toxic if it´s not cooked before eating. In Brazil it´s called cajú and in Venezuela, merey.
The fruit is very acidic and has a very short shelf life. The most common use in Venezuela is to dry them, like prunes; they ferment a little bit and eventually turn dark.

T
Cashew nuts are native to Southern Venezuela and Northern Brazil. The cashew "nut" is actually attached to the bottom of a fruit and can be fairly toxic if it´s not cooked before eating. In Brazil it´s called cajú and in Venezuela, merey.
The fruit is very acidic and has a very short shelf life. The most common use in Venezuela is to dry them, like prunes; they ferment a little bit and eventually turn dark.
They are the most poisonous of all nuts.

Russ

We eat 1 ounce of Smoked Almonds most days, very heart healthy I'm told.
My favorites are Brazil Nuts, Cashews, and Macadamia Nuts ... all quite spendy here in Arizona.
My all time favorite are the Mauna Loa brand Mac Nut Maui Onion and Garlic!!!!
Sadly, Mauna Loa is now owned by Hershey.

I throw a few walnuts in my muesli that I have a few times a week.. have a jar of unsalted roasted nuts that I have occasionally if I have to have a little something to make it to supper...

Neither did I; that's why I inserted the inverted commas.

They only appear to be available here at certain times of the year. I've never researched it.

Like all trees they only fruit once a year.

My stepmother grew up with walnut trees on the farm she grew up on in Victoria so she wouldn’t eat bought ones as they tasted rancid to her.
Hazelnuts are available in every supermarket here in Oz. Shelled and usually a choice of in the skin or with the skins rubbed off. The packs are usually pretty small. 150gm or so and bloody expensive. $27-48 per kilo.

Our filler nut in mixed nuts is generally peanuts, followed by almonds, then a few Brazil, cashews & hazelnuts.

Funnily enough considering we grow & export macadamias they are expensive but the most expensive is shelled pistachios & pine nuts. Upwards of $50 per kg.

As to the question. Almost every day. In some way shape or form.

I keep smoked almonds in my work desk drawer all portioned into tiny containers. Like a shot glass with a lid.

I love the dark chocolate hazelnut block at Aldi.

I often toast walnuts in the oven with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of salt to go in a rocket, pear & blue cheese salad.

I use peanuts in loads of Asian dishes. Often just throw a handful of salted roasted peanuts on top of a salad or stir fry. Same applies to cashews.

I make a slice that is butter rubbed into flour & sugar, an an egg them for whatever you like to change it up. The topping is kind of streuselish and so I’ll throw nuts in that though it falls for flaked almonds I’ve used all sorts of stuff.

I´ll eat any nut you give me, but over the past couple of years I´ve barely been able to eat any, due to dental issues!
I´m particularly fond of cashews and macadamia nuts.
Those are my favorites, too.
I eat them nearly every day, just out of hand. I don’t particularly like nuts baked or cooked in anything, though.

My favorites are Brazil nuts, cashews, and peanuts. I don’t care all that much for almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts.
I too don't care much for nuts cooked or baked in anything, but there are exceptions. I love a good pecan pie and I like pralines and butter pecan ice cream. I like white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies (and I will eat macadamia nuts by themselves). I like cashews all by themselves or ground up as a topping for banana bread. I don't care for almonds (though I like almond milk), hazelnuts, walnuts, Brazil nuts or peanuts (I like peanut brittle ok), but I love pistachios. I will eat them in baklava but I like them all by themselves or crushed up on top of pineapple pancakes. I would say cashews, macadamias, and pistachios are my favorites. Oh, and I like pine nuts in pesto or as a salad topping, but those are terribly expensive.

Cashews are "in season" here apparently. Not cheap though at US$10.00/kg. My wife got some from the market last Thirstday.
I think the last time I bought cashews they were about $8 a pound, so cheaper than in Thailand and we don't even grow them in the US. Interesting.

Last edited:
Like all trees they only fruit once a year.

My stepmother grew up with walnut trees on the farm she grew up on in Victoria so she wouldn’t eat bought ones as they tasted rancid to her.
Hazelnuts are available in every supermarket here in Oz. Shelled and usually a choice of in the skin or with the skins rubbed off. The packs are usually pretty small. 150gm or so and bloody expensive. $27-48 per kilo.

Our filler nut in mixed nuts is generally peanuts, followed by almonds, then a few Brazil, cashews & hazelnuts.

Funnily enough considering we grow & export macadamias they are expensive but the most expensive is shelled pistachios & pine nuts. Upwards of $50 per kg.

My former Persian neighbor and I used to sit on the patio and eat pistachios for hours with a some cold beers. We bought them in the shell. It was part of the relaxing nature of the activity to shell them and eat them.

And yes, they are expensive.

CD

My former Persian neighbor and I used to sit on the patio and eat pistachios for hours with a some cold beers. We bought them in the shell. It was part of the relaxing nature of the activity to shell them and eat them.

And yes, they are expensive.

CD
My sons favourite snack is salted pistachio in the shell. I buy him a big bag each birthday & Xmas.

Seems like most members here are part squirrel. :laugh:

I very rarely eat nuts but if I do then hazelnuts (and the Kent wild version, cobnuts) and walnuts are those I like best. I don't like any of the oily nuts, like cashews at all.
Maybe you are the one who is part squirrel, LOLOL! My squirrels won't eat cashews, either!

I eat them as little as possible.

Some that I really liked (pistachios) I can no longer eat at all for gut reasons. Can't eat pine nuts (sigh) or cashews (no loss there) any more, either. Haven't tested macadamia or Brazil nuts yet.

I do like almonds, but I prefer the flavor - they have to be well-cooked into something to bring out that flavor. Otherwise, no interest at all.

I run screaming from hazelnuts. And the stench of hazelnut coffee makes me want to tape my nostrils shut. This is one nut I will never experiment with to see if I can still eat them without a gut-reaction.

Last edited:
And the stench of hazelnut coffee makes me want to tape my nostrils shut. This is one nut I will never experiment with to see if I can still eat them without a gut-reaction.

The ex wife loved hazelnut in coffee, especially that hazelnut liqueur in coffee. I don't even like to be in the same room with it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom