How often do you eat soup?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:56 AM
I really like soup and I sometimes eat it for my main meal in the evening with bread to dunk. Otherwise I rarely eat it. In a restaurant I will not usually order soup as a first course because I think I might get too full up and not be able to finish the next course.

So, how often do you make soup or eat (drink) soup? Do you ever use canned or carton soups - if so, what are you favourites? Or perhaps you use the instant 'Cuppa soup' that you make in the mug. I know that this is not a great choice but occasionally I do! My favourite canned soups are Baxter's Scotch Broth and Heinz Tomato.

Of course, I do make home-made soup as well!

We have a soup meal every once in a while, always homemade. About the only time we use canned soup is when it's part of a recipe. Craig really likes minestrone. I'll make a huge batch and just leave the pasta out, as it tends to suck up all the stock and swell to huge proportions, and freeze part of it for another meal. That last batch of chicken, vegetable noodle soup was really, really good, and I'm making it like that from now on. We also have a tomato soup recipe that has roasted fennel in it, which we always have grilled ham and cheese sammies with, gruyere and a nice ham. We're having pho this week. I had made a big batch of pho stock a few months back, portioned and froze it.

I probably eat soup two or three times per year. It will be either home made tom yam, Campell's tomato soup or French onion soup. All three will be a main meal not a first course.

To answer your questions:
How often ? Depends on the weather .. In the Winter, more often .. In the late Spring & Summer, Gaspachos & Gazpachos. They are quite different.
Packaged or tinned ? Never.
Favorites: French Onion, Murano Minnestone with fennel, Cream of Parsnip with Carrot ( I use 1 tiny potato instead of dairy to thicken), Navarre wild Cardoon with almonds, Gaspacho ( French), Gazpacho ( Málaga, Spain ), Traditional Fish & Shellfish Soup with Saffron, Traditional Paul Bocuse Truffle Soup, Traditional Borscht with red beetroot & beef and almost all traditional Spanish, Italian and French soups, especially "Caldo de Jerèz" ( a simple ham hock broth with Jerez de La Frontera Aged Sherry ) .. And occasionally, Thai Tom Yam and Chinese Hot & Sour ..

Craig really likes minestrone.

I think I just got inspired to make minestrone. I see what you mean about the pasta swelling up. Do you mean you cook and add pasta later?

We also have a tomato soup recipe that has roasted fennel in it

That sounds delicious!

Favorites: French Onion, Murano Minnestone with fennel, Cream of Parsnip with Carrot ( I use 1 tiny potato instead of dairy to thicken), Navarre wild Cardoon with almonds, Gaspacho ( French), Gazpacho ( Málaga, Spain ), Traditional Fish & Shellfish Soup with Saffron, Traditional Paul Bocuse Truffle Soup, Traditional Borscht with red beetroot & beef and almost all traditional Spanish, Italian and French soups, especially "Caldo de Jerèz" ( a simple ham hock broth with Jerez de La Frontera Aged Sherry ) .. And occasionally, Thai Tom Yam and Chinese Hot & Sour ..

This sound like a great selection. I particularly honed in on the Navarre will Cardoon with almonds and the Paul Bocuse truffle soup. I've bnever eaten cardoons. You simply can't get them here although they can grow very well in the UK. Somehow I know I would love them. Perhaps I should try growing them. As for truffle soup... :hyper: What does it contain besides truffles?

Is that home made or the tinned? Baxter's do a good French onion - but you can't beat home made.

I have made my own in the past.....

french onion s.jpg

but coincidentally a friend gave me a tin a Baxter's French onion soup about 6 months ago. I've not opened it yet.

Thinking about it, many Thai dishes that I eat (and more frequently, my wife) are a type of soup. Noodle soup for one. Where do we draw the line?

Ooh, I forgot about French Onion. I have to make stock for that though, can't stand even the good quality beef stock in something like French Onion. There's a Thai pork meatball/glass noodle soup that's another of Craig's favorites. We also make gumbo and bouillabaisse type dishes, but personally I don't really think of them as soups.

Yes about the pasta in minestrone, I cook it separately. I've been doing that for soups anyway recently because of the starch the pasta/noodles gives off in the water/broth/stock.

I'll post the tomato soup recipe.

This sound like a great selection. I particularly honed in on the Navarre will Cardoon with almonds and the Paul Bocuse truffle soup. I've bnever eaten cardoons. You simply can't get them here although they can grow very well in the UK. Somehow I know I would love them. Perhaps I should try growing them. As for truffle soup... :hyper: What does it contain besides truffles?

@morning glory

They grow in Navarre which is one of the coldest regions of Spain near the foothills of the Pyrenées.

Thank you .. Grand fans of cardoon !

My fave vegetable and it has a very very short growing season. November through early February ..
cardoonsoup20150318_140911.jpg

Thinking about it, many Thai dishes that I eat (and more frequently, my wife) are a type of soup. Noodle soup for one. Where do we draw the line?
I'm glad you added this. I was going to ask how it could be that you only have soup two or three times a year. Every Thai restaurant I've ever been to in the States starts with a soup, usually hot & sour soup. But, that could be an Americanization of the cuisine.

But, the question of where to draw the line is a good one. Here are a few soup-like things that some people may or may not consider to be soup, but that could be had as a meal (I know this because I have had them as a meal):

chowder
chili
stew
gumbo

Back
Top Bottom