How Often Do You Use Your Smart Phone?

How Often Do You Use Your Smart Phone?

• Constantly. I am voting on this topic using my phone now!

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Frequently. I don't plan it, but it just turns out that way.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Occasionally. I use it only for essential things, like calling people and locating destinations.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Rarely. I try to avoid using it.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • N/A. You mean it's not that thing on my wall with a cord?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Mine packed up too although I don't know if its phone or computer end. I now use an adapter straight in the phone port and transfer the photos to a memory stick (useful back-up anyway) then from stick to computer - takes a minute or so to do whole thing.

Okay... I'll look into doing that. (I actually don't know if it's the phone or computer end on mine, either...) So this could work.

@Mountain Cat - this is what you need (might depend on phone, which type) - you then plug memory stick into the adaptor.

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.36.04.png

A few years ago, I would have said that using a smart phone all the time was something that young people did. But, I was visiting my dad in the hospital (he's okay now) when I saw something that opened my eyes. At the elevator, I saw an elderly priest, a woman in a business suit, a burly male construction worker, and a teenage girl. This sounds like the setup for a bad joke, but what these otherwise very different people had in common was that all of them were using smart phones.

I didn't realize until that moment just how ridiculous I am with my phone:
  • I'm watching a TV show, and I recognize an actor in the show. In the past, I would have brainstormed with my wife to figure out who he was. Now, I just look it up on my phone. I've found that I have to know this sort of thing immediately!
  • I'm at the supermarket, and I see that cherries are still very cheap. In the past, I might have bought the cherries, and then later tried to figure out what to make with them. Now, I pull my phone out, and I look up potential recipes with cherries.
  • If I'm waiting in line for something or other, there's no staring off into space and trying to will the line to move faster. Instead, I look up the news of the day, or play a game on my phone to pass the time.
  • Even if I just have 5 minutes before a meeting, I might spend 4 minutes and 55 seconds of that time on my phone.
What I don't do is stare at my phone the whole time I'm having a meal with my family. I consider this to be disrespectful, but my teenagers don't seem to see it that way (and, they don't seem to see me, because they're so busy looking at their phones).

I know the people on this forum aren't all young people, so I expect the results here to be pretty telling.

Are you me?

Thanks, Morning Glory. I do use the Samsung S7. Will order shortly!

When you get it, if you let me know, I'll PM instructions on how to transfer the phone photos to the memory stick. Its NOT intuitive and it took me a while to work out with the help of some on-line instructions. Once you know how, its easy enough. So unless you are a whizz at these things, I can save you some time.

I have a Trakphone. Is that the same as a Smartphone? I don't make calls, text or take pics. Have on occasion used some of the features to experiment. Bought it mostly for emergency purposes. I do, however, surf the web, post, pay bills, shop etc. So I do spend a good amount of time using same. Also use my tablet, and laptop on occasion. My recipes are stored on my laptop. That's why, unlike most, I don't post pics. Last time I took multiple photos, I picked them up at Fotomat. Lol. Just doesn't interest me - same as Facebook & social media.

Last edited:
I just sync to Onedrive.
Onedrive is only any good if you have a reliable and 24/7 internet connection. Most do nowadays but not all of us. I'm one that has internet access issues... but that's because I live rurally. It's the time lag for me that's the killer. I'm talking of a visible delay of 5 seconds from pressing post reply to seeing anything happen and even on my S8+, I sit and wait and watch pages load. But that's satellite broadband for you... up to space and back is always going to have a visible delay.

My brother constantly tries to use Facebook messenger to video call me... even standard voip there is a delay. Say something, count to 5 in your head, hear your reply said to the other person, count to 5, factor in that person's thinking time, hear their response... I'm not joking. So forget video calls unless it's Skype which works (to a point). SD video only and I drop our end to 800x600 on the camera. Forget HD, or even SD at max resolution.
We're ditching the VOIP telephone line. We've no physical telephone line here but the voip line is hopeless and we're not hearing calls ring at this end (no one gets to hear the answering machine so we know it's not ringing otherwise...)

Anyhow, anything online and we have to ignore that concept

I think Trakfone is the cell phone provider so they provide all kinds of cell phones from basic to smartphones. So it depends which actual phone you have.

I bought it from one of the shopping channels. I get triple everything for a year, so it fits my needs. Maybe I'm a dinosaur when it comes to Techy stuff.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge.

Almost snap - mine is Samsung Galaxy S7 (not edge). I use it for all my food photos. The Samsung Galaxy is in the top three for best performing cameras. Have you tried taking some food photos with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom