How the chicken conquered the world

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:10 PM
The epic begins 10,000 years ago in an Asian jungle and ends today in kitchens all over the world.

Chicken-Conquerer-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Chicken is the ubiquitous food of our era, crossing multiple cultural boundaries with ease. With its mild taste and uniform texture, chicken presents an intriguingly blank canvas for the flavor palette of almost any cuisine. A generation of Britons is coming of age in the belief that chicken tikka masala is the national dish, and the same thing is happening in China with Kentucky Fried Chicken. Long after the time when most families had a few hens running around the yard that could be grabbed and turned into dinner, chicken remains a nostalgic, evocative dish for most Americans.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/history/how-the-chicken-conquered-the-world-87583657/

So. I know that an awful lot of you eat chicken an awful lot! Some of you eat it several times a week according to the Unofficial Poll posted by @kgord.

Now, you may not have noticed, but its 'chicken time' :dance:on the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge! We have a few good entries so far... but where is the Southern Fried Chicken or Chicken Curry? Help me out! I'm looking for your recipes! Or any chicken recipe you come across which takes your fancy.

The good news is, we have new rules. Even if you're vegan or vegetarian or allergic to chicken you can submit a recipe using a substitute such as Quorn, Tempeh, Tofu etc.

One week left for entries.... bring them on. :D

Last edited:
I can post a chicken recipe. FYI when a friend of mine got married, several years ago, I gave her a cookbooks 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. We do eat it quite a bit here in the states. However, I have a friend in Ireland who eats chicken nearly on a daily basis, so I don't think we are the only people eating chicken!

I can post a chicken recipe. FYI when a friend of mine got married, several years ago, I gave her a cookbooks 365 Ways to Cook Chicken. We do eat it quite a bit here in the states. However, I have a friend in Ireland who eats chicken nearly on a daily basis, so I don't think we are the only people eating chicken!
Please do post a recipe @kgord!

Back
Top Bottom