Recipe How to boil an egg in the microwave

My oven baked boiled egg. 8 minutes exactly in the Halogen oven. Pretty well perfect for my taste although the white may be a little soft for some.

My oven baked boiled egg. 8 minutes exactly in the Halogen oven. Pretty well perfect for my taste although the white may be a little soft for some.

View attachment 37258
Yeah, count me in that group of "some" - that's way too goopy for me. That egg would make me say, "Must adjust and try again."

How'd you get your egg shell cut so evenly? Are you use one of those little tools, or is it just generations of egg-shell-cracking know-how behind you?

Adding salt increases the boiling point of water but this comes with a major BUT, you need to add 58g of salt per 1000ml of water to raise the boiling point of water by ½°C. It is more likely that adding salt (3g per 1000 ml) is making the water boil faster because salt water boils faster than freshwater however, again the difference is minimal and very unlikely is this scenario to make much difference.
Piercing the 'blunt' end of the egg allows the air inside the egg to escape as it is heated up (air expands when heated) however, if the egg is very fresh, this air pocket will be very small (which is why fresh egg sunk and older staler eggs float in water) and the smaller the air pocket the less chance there is of it expanding enough to crack the shell.

I used an egg topper for that one. A gadget. You know you need one. :D

I've never had one (nor used one). Teaspoons are adequate for chicken egg topping but a knife is preferable for duck eggs. Although my wife breaks the shell on a board and removes it by hand before slicing into the egg with a spoon.

Back
Top Bottom