Recipe How to boil an egg in the microwave

I don't know - were your eggs fridge cold or room temperature?

Are you putting the mug in the middle or at the edge of the turntable?

Mine were from the fridge, graded large in size. I placed the mug about halfway between the edge and the center of the plate.

...its possible my microwave is not as high powered as yours. That could make a difference perhaps?
I think my microwave is on the higher end of home power, though it's also 10 years old. It generally heats things faster than whatever a recipe says.

One thing I noted is that the water was well beyond a rapid/rolling boil after just two minutes. It was violently coming out of the top, not quite a geyser, but more like a pan of milk that boils over. Does yours boil a little, a lot, not at all, or like crazy?

One thing I can say...my microwave is sparkling clean now. :)

I will give it a try, but I must admit the foil bit gives me a bit of "sparky" concern.
There were no sparks, but you have to make sure the egg is completely submerged. I've also made tea with a teabag in water in the microwave in a pinch, using Lipton teabags, at work. Those bags have a metal staple in them. I've done that dozens, if not hundreds, of times over the year. As long as it's in the water completely, it's fine.

morning glory - how tightly do you wrap your eggs? Are they wrapped tight, like a Cadbury egg, or kind of loose and open?

I'll probably try it again, but if I'm going to use this as a replacement to the stovetop, I'll need to get them to cook more evenly and I'll need to be able to do two at a time in the same container.

@morning glory - how tightly do you wrap your eggs? Are they wrapped tight, like a Cadbury egg, or kind of loose and open?

Very tight and in quite a generous wrapping.

I am not sure how two at a time works. I've only done one in a mug which seems to keep the egg submerged. Maybe you could do two at once in two separate mugs. I'll try it tomorrow. I haven't had the 'boiling over' issue so perhaps your oven is different. I'm more worried by your uneven cooking. This has never happened to me and (if you know the science of microwave cooking) it shouldn't really.

I don't know - were your eggs fridge cold or room temperature?

The mug is the thing that works and its what I do. I get perfect results all the time now. This one I made a few days ago has perfect white and runny yolk as I think you can more or less see. Are you putting the mug in the middle or at the edge of the turntable?

View attachment 37055

That egg looks perfect to me, can you tell me how long and method please.?

Russ

I've been away working and missed so much, I know I can go back and search, but I really can't be arsed. I thought 6 words might help? No drama, I'll survive,lol.

Russ

You didn't need to go back and search. I put a link in my post which you can click on. Here it is again - just click. When something appears in green its a direct link. Click on the words below:

top post in the thread

Thanks to @Elawin who discovered this link:Back to Basics: How to boil an egg in the microwave oven from the Microwave Technologies Association

I was skeptical but thought I'd try it out. I was convinced it was impossible to boil eggs in a microwave! How wrong can I be? This is so easy and fast that from now on its the way I will boil eggs. I cooked for 4 mins which produced a slightly underdone egg so I tried again. 4 mins 15 seconds produced a perfect soft boiled egg. The egg I used was large and came straight from the fridge so that may have affected cooking times.

From now on, this is how I will be cooking boiled eggs. You can keep the piece of foil to re-use.

Method
  1. Boil water in a kettle.
  2. Wrap the egg (in its shell) in foil.
  3. Place in a microwaveable bowl or mug and pour boiling water over until submerged.
  4. Microwave for approx. 4 mins 15 seconds for a soft boiled egg. For a hard boiled egg cook for 6 mins.
  5. Place the bowl/mug in the sink and run cold water into it.
  6. Remove egg, unwrap and place in eggcup!

View attachment 16568

View attachment 16570

View attachment 16569

View attachment 16571

View attachment 16572

Thanks, the thought of foil scares me, last time I heated something up it was on a plate with gold on it, it sparked like hell. Don't know if I want to risk it again. I guess I'm just lazy and won't try this method. From memory (havnt made eggs n soldiers in years) I boil with eggs in pot and time from boil 4 and 1/2 mins. As I say I havnt done them for a long time.

Russ

Thanks, the thought of foil scares me, last time I heated something up it was on a plate with gold on it, it sparked like hell. Don't know if I want to risk it again. I guess I'm just lazy and won't try this method. From memory (havnt made eggs n soldiers in years) I boil with eggs in pot and time from boil 4 and 1/2 mins. As I say I havnt done them for a long time.

Russ

I promise the foil doesn't spark. Its under the water and its fine. :okay:

I promise the foil doesn't spark. Its under the water and its fine. :okay:
Lol, the other thing is when I do eggs n soldiers I normally have three eggs, after all it's a meal to me, with three pieces of toast. Now compound those timings and multiple cooking just confuses me. There will be a formula somewhere????
I'll just wing it next time, go from memory. We'll see??? Thanks for replying, appreciate it.

Russ

TastyReuben:

I microwaved two very large eggs in a wide jug - wrapped them together in foil and weighted the top with a small dish. 4 and a half minutes. That is the same time I take to cook 1 very large egg. They were done just right for my taste.

TastyReuben:

I microwaved two very large eggs in a wide jug - wrapped them together in foil and weighted the top with a small dish. 4 and a half minutes. That is the same time I take to cook 1 very large egg. They were done just right for my taste.

View attachment 37167

View attachment 37168

I'll be trying it again soon, and I appreciate you doing two eggs.

One other thing that happened, and I was using filtered water, so I don't know what the exact cause is, but I happened to do mine in a big translucent green mug (with a British flag etched on the outside, for extra good juju :laugh: - it fairly ruined the mug, as now it's coated in this kind of white powdery residue that appears like it's bonded to the glass! I've hand-washed it twice and ran it through the dishwasher once and it looks great while it's wet, but as soon as it dries, it returns. You can also see the lines of where the water boiled over and down the outside.

I'll have to pitch the mug, because every time I use it now, I think of Smoky Robinson singing "Tracks Of My Tears!" :laugh:

One other thing that happened, and I was using filtered water, so I don't know what the exact cause is, but I happened to do mine in a big translucent green mug (with a British flag etched on the outside, for extra good juju :laugh: - it fairly ruined the mug, as now it's coated in this kind of white powdery residue that appears like it's bonded to the glass! I've hand-washed it twice and ran it through the dishwasher once and it looks great while it's wet, but as soon as it dries, it returns. You can also see the lines of where the water boiled over and down the outside.

Oh my gosh! I can't imagine what happened there - sorry. Best to use an old mug or a pyrex bowl. I'm wondering if we really beed to use foil if the eggs are weighted down and submerged.

Back
Top Bottom