How to 'crack' coconut cream?

stuey48

Local time
11:28 AM
Hi, guys
I'm wondering whether any of you has had any success in 'cracking' coconut cream or coconut milk for use in Thai curries? I know it gives a silkier texture to the dish. I've never been able to do it, and it's become a sort of 'holy grail' for me. I know the theory: Take the cream or the separated solid part of coconut milk, and simmer it for 8-10 mins, and the oils should separate out. It's never worked for me. I've tried simmering, and I've tried boiling. I've simmered, and...nothing. I've tried boiling. I've boiled, boiled and boiled and...nothing. Any tips? Is there a particular type or brand I should use?

When we buy coconut milk in cans the top portion is coconut cream. The Thai curry recipes we use calls for the cream to be mixed with the paste first and the milk is added later. I usually make my own homemade Thai curry pastes. They are mild and you add the heat to the finished dish if you like. The first time I used a commercial paste, the spice was so much that I could barely eat it.

NB if you want to get the cream out of the milk, I think you cling wrap it in the bowl put it in the fridge to let it separate out. Yorkyyyyyyyyyyy

When we buy coconut milk in cans the top portion is coconut cream. The Thai curry recipes we use calls for the cream to be mixed with the paste first and the milk is added later. I usually make my own homemade Thai curry pastes. They are mild and you add the heat to the finished dish if you like. The first time I used a commercial paste, the spice was so much that I could barely eat it.
I think that's part of the problem. I think most supermarket coconut milks have additives in them that gives them a smoother and runnier consistency and stops the separation. Chaokoh is the only one I've found where the coconut milk separates

I think that's part of the problem. I think most supermarket coconut milks have additives in them that gives them a smoother and runnier consistency and stops the separation. Chaokoh is the only one I've found where the coconut milk separates

That is the brand we buy and is a product of Thailand. I bet it is 1/2 cream and 1/2 milk. We have several Chinese markets that also carry Thai, Korean and some Vietnamese products. We make quite a bit of Korean food. We also love Vietnamese Pho and make it at home.

I want to know this too! I tried out some Sri Lankan recipes during lockdown with directions given by a friend (who relayed her mums advice for me). I can't get the milk to split. I'll ask her advice. I did find the supermarket own brand coconut milk was inferior and often 'blended'.

I'm off to stock up on bits from the local chinese supermarket this weekend so plan to try out a few different brands of coconut milk then.

I get cans of cream and milk here.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom