How to make Perfect Mashed Potato

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:31 AM
The subject of mashed potato came up in a thread on our sister forum; see here in this thread on CycleChat (you will need to scroll down to page 6 or 7). Its quite a minefield really. I used to swear by using a simple hand held 'masher' and, of course, it has to be floury potatoes: Maris Piper for preference. But recently, I bought a new stick blender and it came with a mashing attachment. I was very sceptical. But it works. It forces the potato up through holes in the attachment rather like a potato ricer in reverse.

Here it is:

Photo on 16-02-2017 at 22.22 #2.jpg

How do you make mashed potato? What kind of potatoes do you use and what tools do you use. And what do you add - butter, cream, pepper?

Last edited:
I typically use russet potatoes, a little butter, salt, pepper and milk.
Old fashioned potato masher.

Ricer..jpg
I typically use russet potatoes, a little butter, salt, pepper and milk.
Old fashioned potato masher.

Potato Masher..jpg

I also use russet potatoes for most everything!

I use either of these two units for processing. The black plastic one is mainly for non-stick cookware to keep from scratching or damaging the non-stick coating . The ricer has an extra job. It helps get rid of the stringy matter in boiled sweet potatoes. Great for making things like sweet potato pies!! I HATE that stringy matter in sweet potatoes!! :wink::mad:

Last edited:
I wouldn't use anything else.

masher.jpg

Potatoes cut into 40 mm cubes and boiled for 12 - 15 minutes. Drain and mash whilst still hot with a little milk, butter and seasoning.

Add other boiled vegetables if wished.

Back
Top Bottom