How would you cook a half side of salmon?

MrMajeika

Local time
12:44 PM
I usually just bake it in the oven very simple with some lemon, garlic and seasoning but looking for some new ideas. I've seen marinades that have things like honey, soy, mustard etc but don't want something that will overpower the flavour of the salmon

I cook salmon frequently on the grill - brush a little oil/butter on it to keep it from sticking to the grill. When it is just about done, I brush on Ken's Steakhouse Asian Sesame Ginger Dressing on the side without skin and cook a few minutes longer. Does not over power the salmon.

Also, I sometimes wrap it in foil with pads of butter, couple slices of lemon and a couple sprigs of fresh dill. Close the pouch and toss on the grill.

I have not cooked a large piece of salmon in a long time. I prefer skin on salmon steaks. Skin scored. Seasoned with salt, pepper a little micro planed garlic and basil butter in the scores of the skin. Cooked crispy skin. G likes either a Beurre Blanc sauce or a Piccata Sauce.
When I have cooked a large piece of salmon it was seasoned much the same way. Rubbed with EVOO, salt, pepper micro planed garlic and basil butter cooked in the oven until no longer raw -medium rare interior.

I cook salmon frequently on the grill - brush a little oil/butter on it to keep it from sticking to the grill. When it is just about done, I brush on Ken's Steakhouse Asian Sesame Ginger Dressing on the side without skin and cook a few minutes longer. Does not over power the salmon.

Also, I sometimes wrap it in foil with pads of butter, couple slices of lemon and a couple sprigs of fresh dill. Close the pouch and toss on the grill.

Ken's Steakhouse dressings may not be available in the UK. Perhaps you could describe the flavor a bit, so the Op can adapt.

I like smoked salmon, so I tend to cook on the charcoal grill with a some kind of fruit wood, like Apple.

CD

If it's a quality farmed fish or preferably wild, I would not fillet it. I would get my fish kettle out. Put the whole fish in, cover with the cold CB, bring to a boil, switch the heat off, put the lid on and leave till it's cool. A wild whole salmon from the River Wye used to be a frequent treat back in the day. I never deviated from this method.

For me it's more about the sauce/dressing, so I just brush it with a little EVOO, lightly season, and bake in a med/low oven.
My favourite dressing is tahini, yoghurt, preserved lemon, sumac, coriander (cilantro) & parsley, and pine nuts.

Otherwise I make a cure with beetroot (and either vodka or whisky) and herbs & let it sit for a day or two in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom