100 g scallions (~250 ml/1 cup when chopped)​
1 teaspoon paprika/bell pepper powder​
1/2 teaspoon black pepper​
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper​
~1/2 teaspoon salt​
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg​
50 ml yellow corn flour​
200 ml unsweetened almond milk​
100 g Parmesan cheese or any strong-flavored, hard cheese (~300 ml/1.2 cups when grated)​
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´​
1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash​

Instructions

Make the puff pastry. Use cold, refridgerated butter. Mix the flour and salt. Shave the butter into thin slices with e.g. a cheese slicer and coat the slices with the flour and salt mix in a bowl. Add cold water, form a flat ball gently and place the lumpy dough in the fridge for and hour (or to the freezer for half an hour). Sprinkle some flour on the countertop, roll out the dough into flat form, fold one third or half of the dough on top and roll again, turn the dough 90 degrees, fold one third or half of the dough, roll and repeat the procedure for 5-10 times until the dough is homogenous. Sprinkle a bit of flour if the dough starts to stick while rolling. Chill the dough while preparing the filling.

Rinse and chop the scallions into tiny bits. Grate the cheese. Fry/sauté the scallions and spices in a frying pan/skillet on medium-high heat in oil for 4-5 minutes. Add the corn flour and mix. Add the almond milk and mix. Let simmer for about 2 minutes until thickened. Take aside and add the cheese into the mixture. Let cool for several minutes. Set the oven to 200°C (~400 °F/gas mark 6, no fan).

Roll the dough into a ~0.5 cm (0.2”) thick rectangular form. Spread the cheese mix on top. Cut the dough into 6 right-angled triangles. Roll the croissant-like pastries gently starting from the wider end. Leave the tip on top to ease puffing up. Mix the egg yolk and water (egg wash) and brush/smear on top of the pastries before baking. Bake for ~25 minutes until the pastries are puffy and golden brown. Drain and cool the greasy pastries on top of kitchen paper before serving.

sca_a.png

sca_b.png

sca_c.png

Last edited:
The filling sounds delicious in these pastries. I like the use of nutmeg and paprika.

Well done for making your own puff pastry. Its what is known as 'rough puff', I think. I make a rough puff similarly but not with shaved butter. I just cut it into small chunks and add to the bowl of flour, flicking them around to coat then proceed as you do. The result is the same really. Technically (in my book) these may be croissant shaped but they aren't croissants unless they are made with yeasted puff pastry which has a different taste and texture.

I was wondering if the filling might make the pastry a bit soggy inside (since its a sort of custard) but it doesn't seem so from your photos.

The filling sounds delicious in these pastries. I like the use of nutmeg and paprika.

Well done for making your own puff pastry. Its what is known as 'rough puff', I think. I make a rough puff similarly but not with shaved butter. I just cut it into small chunks and add to the bowl of flour, flicking them around to coat then proceed as you do. The result is the same really. Technically (in my book) these may be croissant shaped but they aren't croissants unless they are made with yeasted puff pastry which has a different taste and texture.

I was wondering if the filling might make the pastry a bit soggy inside (since its a sort of custard) but it doesn't seem so from your photos.
The filling was very tasty indeed. Yes, real croissants are made with yeast dough. I'm sorry for the inappropriate naming. I edited the headline from "Croissants" to "Pastries".

The pastries took their time to rise in the oven but when done, they weren't soggy despite the generous filling. I think it was thanks to several roll outs and chilling the dough well before baking.

"Humpty Dumpty"...well, that was the first thing that came to my mind (from the time I attended Kindergarten and we rehearsed English nursery rhymes) when I thought about the huge amount of (fattening) butter in this dish.

Last edited:
The filling was very tasty indeed. Yes, real croissants are made with yeast dough. I'm sorry for the inappropriate naming. I edited the headline from "Croissants" to "Pastries".

Oh - you didn't need to do that. I was being pedantic!

"Humpty Dumpty"...well, that was the first thing that came to my mind (from the time I attended Kindergarten and we rehearsed English nursery rhymes) when I thought about the huge amount of (fattening) butter in this dish.

Ah, I see now!

I made this. I cheated a bit and used store bought crescent rolls (since I have bad luck with dough ;-( and did not use the egg wash. They browned nicely. I would make again and cut back on the pepper (I like spicy but it was a little too much). Thanks for sharing this recipe.

20210206_133426b.jpg

Question: Do I do the egg wash for premade crescent rolls?
You've made them already but if you ever make them again (with less pepper), I see no object for doing an eggwash to store made rolls as well.

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom