Hush puppies help?

...and I thought hush puppies were comfy shoes...
Me too, but apparently American hushpuppies are something different! Lol

Edited to add
The Origin of Hush Puppies
What is a Hush Puppy?
Golden-brown, bite-sized, and doughy, a hush puppy is just one of a number of corn cakes with which the South has blessed the world. They are made from a thick cornmeal batter and gently fried in hot oil until the outside becomes crunchy.

In a way, they are a bit like a savory doughnut-hole. If, that is, a doughnut-hole is served with an array of spicy dipping sauces and alongside smokey barbeques and fish fries.

Contrarily, hush puppies were not originally golden rounds of fried up cornmeal.

Instead, gravy, or pot liquor, was the first to be called hush puppy. Pot liquor – also known by the traditional spelling, ‘potlikker’ – is the remaining liquid that is left over after boiling greens (collard, mustard, or turnip) or beans. It is chocked-full of nutrients and would often be seasoned with salt, pepper, and a handful of smoked meats to make a soup.

What consistency what you make it please?

Russ

Pretty thick. I dip a scoop that holds a little more than a tablespoon and drop it into the oil.

You have to let them brown just a little bit and turn them over. If you let them totally cook through on 1 side, they tend to roll back over when you try to turn them.

Pretty thick. I dip a scoop that holds a little more than a tablespoon and drop it into the oil.

You have to let them brown just a little bit and turn them over. If you let them totally cook through on 1 side, they tend to roll back over when you try to turn them.
Ok so I get it, consistency of my onion bhajees. Makes sense now.

Russ

Ok so I get it, consistency of my onion bhajees. Makes sense now.

Russ
Yeah, sorry I didn't explain that better. It's rather hard to describe consistency with words sometimes.

Here ya go, rascal just buy something like
B6C70A45-C773-4562-B065-73A68CBDAE97.jpeg
25895F15-A48C-4310-A1EE-3CC9AFF10C4D.jpeg
these:

I'm trying the genuine way. Next on my list.

Russ
You won't regret it. I have tried buying the frozen ones a few times and they are like fishing weights: dense, heavy, and really great at absorbing grease...they lay in the stomach like bricks The ones from scratch (that recipe from Jiffy) are light, fluffy, and flavorful, and if cooked at the right temperature, not full of grease!

You won't regret it. I have tried buying the frozen ones a few times and they are like fishing weights: dense, heavy, and really great at absorbing grease...they lay in the stomach like bricks The ones from scratch (that recipe from Jiffy) are light, fluffy, and flavorful, and if cooked at the right temperature, not full of grease!
I have a good frier, last 1 lasted 20 plus years?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom