Hypothetical question regarding retirement

So, in a sense, England is like Texas.

But without the boots and hats.
Not everyone in Texas owns boots or hats. I also don't have an oil well in my front yard or cattle on the back forty. I do have two outside cats that live in the back yard.

We are very lucky where we live because there are many venues that host comedy shows, concerts, theatre and cinemas. We are also close to other cities that also host shows, London is easy to get to. We enjoy going out and, although I appreciate things will be different when we retire, we still want to be close to these places and continue to go out to shows. I would not like to go to another country which doesn't have these facilities close by or on a regular basis. I would get easily bored if there wasn't much to do, yes I like to relax but I still need to have something to occupy my time and mind.

Although I'm sure other countries are lovely, our plan is in getting back home to our birth state, Ohio. The execution of such plan, however, is very slow going once you actually reach retirement age. Actually, returning to OH was my plan even before we moved, since our move to MA was a corporate relocation. With IT jobs difficult to find in 1999, hubby's choice was pretty much between move or unemployment. Living in MA was fun the first five or six years, but the bloom is off the rose and I want to go home to where I feel at home. Some days, MA feels like another country. And I miss our kids painfully. They both still live in OH.

Had I thought ahead, I would have started much of this the day my hubby hit 62, the magic retirement age we had planned on. However, when he turned 62 we looked at each other with love in our eyes and said "um, not 24/7 just yet" and he continued working. A year later, his company decided he was expendable and laid him off. Since then we've been alternating between getting things ready to sell and treading water. One of these days...

...I do have two outside cats that live in the back yard.
"...with two cats in the yard..."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-q0ELuk1A

Chrissie Hynde! I actually got to meet her last summer. *squeee* She and Jill Furmanvosky, Oasis' official photographer, gave a talk at the Akron Museum of Art. It was one of the shortest two-hour spans in my life. She's a very approachable artist.

Health permitting we intend to sell our house before we retire so that all fees and any decorating will be paid for using our wages so that when we do retire our money will be ours. It would be good to clear off somewhere for a couple of months to celebrate.

In a lot of the programmes the couples admire the outside space and talk about having a bbq, sounds ideal but how long before that novelty wears off.

Back
Top Bottom