I need snack help!

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
4:02 AM
I do a lot of bulk shopping and cooking so that there's always plenty around to make dinners, lunches, etc.

What I struggle with is having stuff to snack on. It seems like by the first week into a month, I'm out of things we can simply "grab and go" with when we're a little snacky in between meals. I really don't want to go to chips and cookies since they're so bad for you, but for snacks, I don't like having to go in and cook for a while either.

What are your go-to snacks? Maybe I'll get some ideas from them.

I buy nuts and seeds for snacks. Trail mixes that I make in advance are also a good go to snack. If you buy trail mixes they might be high in fat and have a lot of sugar. Sliced fruit is also quick and easy. I get a pineapple and snack on it all week long. Just take one day to prep and then snack away.

I notice that if I have some snacks, I constantly eat them. :D Therefore, even if I buy a lot, I always run into the same problem as you.

Anyway, fruit is always a good choice. I also love cheese and crackers. You can even combine the two, grapes or slices of apple fit perfectly with crackers and cheese.

I also try to always have some yoghurt in the fridge, that can be a very good snack too.

My favorites include avocados (sliced in a Ziploc- bag) , home-made trail mix with nuts and almonds, and Greel yoghurt with fresh berries.

It makes me feel good about myself to not only have something delicious for a snack but also take care of myself at the same time. Right amount of protein will keep my blood sugar levels steady
and actually reduce cravings between meals.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong about snacking per se, I just have to be careful about what I have for a snack. It's all about making right choices, but no one said it should be dull. :)

Homemade trail mix has been one of my favorite snacks to bring to work! I mix cashews, almonds, raisins, some other dried fruits I buy that week, and maybe some M&Ms when I'm feeling fat (always). Geek yogurt is also something I always like as a snack because it's healthy, tastes great and is filling.

My go-to snack is usually toast and a spread like Nutella or Peanut Butter. If I don't have any bread at home, I usually go for crackers. It's pretty good because it's quite heavy. Another is fruit like applies and pears. It keeps my energy up during the day.

We have a number of air tight jars in the house which I keep topped up with cashew nuts, apricots, dates, homemade kale crisps & homemade fruit leathers. I usually only have 2 jars on the go at any one time so its not always the same.

For when we are out of the home we have a selection of Nakd bars which are basically fairly similar to the above, but easier/more convenient. The Cashew Cookie is literally just dates & cashew nuts (and importantly for me guaranteed dairy free). I find them very useful when we are out cycling.

There is also a snacks area in the sitting room which is mostly stocked with wasabi peas and original flavour hula-hoops, but I am fairy strict about when we can eat those! Both also dairy free.

I would suggest getting fruits. They're healthy and at the same time, they're yummy! They have natural sugars, so you wouldn't need to worry about stale and flavorless food.

Another thing you could probably purchase from the store is some Greek Yogurt. It's the healthiest out of all yogurts, and to me, it's the yummiest.

I hope I helped! :)

My favorites include avocados (sliced in a Ziploc- bag) , home-made trail mix with nuts and almonds, and Greel yoghurt with fresh berries.

It makes me feel good about myself to not only have something delicious for a snack but also take care of myself at the same time. Right amount of protein will keep my blood sugar levels steady and actually reduce cravings between meals.

As long as your body is functioning normally protein has very little to do with your blood sugar levels. It does have a mild effect, but nothing spectacular.
Apart from that, lovely post. I can't believe I didn't mention mixing berries into the yoghurt, it makes it so much better and obviously healthier.

If you want something quick and healthy then you can stock bananas, apples, oranges and pears. Of course, few of the fruits are seasonal. Also, on the non-healthy side cookies are something I stock up.

Also, I avoid fried items like chips, since they are extremely tasty yet extremely unhealthy item to eat. I can't get myself to stop once I start eating these items.

Also, I avoid fried items like chips, since they are extremely tasty yet extremely unhealthy item to eat. I can't get myself to stop once I start eating these items.

That's exactly the problem, I can't stop! Chips are not the healthies thing ever, but as long as taken in moderation it's fine. However, that moderation is usually quite hard! Eating 10 pringles chips is no big deal, however stopping after 10 requires an insane amount of discipline.

That's exactly the problem, I can't stop! Chips are not the healthies thing ever, but as long as taken in moderation it's fine. However, that moderation is usually quite hard! Eating 10 pringles chips is no big deal, however stopping after 10 requires an insane amount of discipline.

Agreed. You have to be nothing short of superman to do that.. :)

Try an apple or two as a snack. You can take them along with you easily anywhere you go, and they are filling and full of vitamins and minerals that you need. You really can`t go wrong with apples.

I like to make my own trail mix... almonds, dried goji berries, dark chocolate chips, carob chips, pecans, etc. I also always like to have fresh fruit cut up an ready to go like strawberries, pineapple, peaches, bananas, mango. Hard boiled eggs are also a great snack to have ready. String cheese, peanut butter pretzels.

Back
Top Bottom