I start to panic if I run out of...

They're not ingredients, but I go through a ton of foil, wax paper, freezer paper, plastic wrap, and paper towels. I use loads of all of those, all day every day.

Right now, I'm pretty annoyed because I've been looking for freezer paper for two weeks and can't find any.

I would seriously have a flash of panic if I ran out of salt.

Me too. But think of poor caseydog. I've been told its like cutting out sugar in tea or coffee - once you get used to no salt it tastes fine. Do I believe that?

They're not ingredients, but I go through a ton of foil, wax paper, freezer paper, plastic wrap, and paper towels. I use loads of all of those, all day every day.

Right now, I'm pretty annoyed because I've been looking for freezer paper for two weeks and can't find any.

As I mentioned elsewhere I've been rinsing out paper towels and re-using. One sheet lasts for several rinses. I mainly did this because I was appalled at the amount of it I was using. My kitchen bin was full of it! 50 years ago hardly anyone used kitchen towel (not sure when it became popular) and cloths were used. Foil I always re-use unless its very greasy. Plastic wrap I've completely cut down. I use a cloche in the microwave and cover things in bowls with plates or saucers. I do use cheap plastic containers but they are put through the dishwasher and used indefinitely. So, in the last 6 months I reckon I've cut useage of these items by at least two thirds.

I'm pretty laid back, I don't panic, I'm known for making something from nothing. I can make a good meal just from my freezer.
My first thought was toilet paper,lol.

I was meaning 'panic' in a relative way - a turn of phrase. I probably wouldn't really panic about anything either. Well, possibly salt now that The Late Night Gourmet has mentioned it!

I don't think I'd ever panic about running out of something....I can make do without almost everything (for a short while at least). Of course in normal circumstances I'd prefer to always have eggs, butter, bread flour, tea, cheese and wine and I'd get mildly concerned if supplies were running low, but I can manage temporary interruptions of supply.

Talking about running out of things.....we were in Poland last year over the Easter weekend and when we're on holiday we tend to only shop a for a few days at a time due to limited storage (particularly for fresh items). I'd already researched and found out that all the shops would be closed Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday so we made sure we arrived at our campsite by the Saturday lunchtime so we could go shopping in the afternoon because we were very low on supplies by that point. Unfortunately when we turned up at the supermarket it was closed.....even though the sign on the door said it should be open :unsure:. Turns out what my research hadn't revealed is that Polish supermarkets tend to have an unofficial half day the day before a public holiday :eek: which left us a rather short of anything to eat! We managed OK in the end though by eating out a few times, finishing off the last of the cheese and cured meats from the fridge and by buying wine and beer from a local petrol station. We almost had to eat our tin of emergency Cassoulet (which we carry for just such occasions), but the shops opened on the Tuesday so we bought some lovely Polish food instead :hungry:

Me too. But think of poor caseydog. I've been told its like cutting out sugar in tea or coffee - once you get used to no salt it tastes fine. Do I believe that?

If LateNight were my neighbor, I'd give mim some of my collection of different salts. :unsure:

Um, I wouldn't say I'm getting used to it. The absence of salt is more pronounced with some foods, than others. Soups and stews really suffer without salt. A good steak, not really a loss at all. I have started eating Kettle brand No Salt potato chips (crisps), and the first bag was disappointing, but now I like them (I LOVED Kettle Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper chips).

What really amazes me is picking up foods in the store and reading the nutrition labels, and finding ridiculous amounts of sodium, and finding pretty high sodium in unexpected places, like sweet breakfast cereals, and even frozen vegetables.

CD

Back
Top Bottom