I wanna make some pizza!!

I think I mentioned on another thread that I'm getting an Ooni pizza oven for my birthday this year. When I ordered it back in January they were stating a shipping date of late March, but that was fine because my birthday isn't until April. I just got a notification this morning that its going to be arriving tomorrow :hyper: So its turned out to be a Valentines prezzie instead 💝

Guess we're having pizza this weekend!

Is it a propane oven to be used outside?
Yes I decided to go for the Ooni Koda 12 for convenience. They do wood fired versions too, but all the reports I've read say that as the pizza is only in the oven for a minute or two, there isn't any taste benefit to wood. So convenience wins out for me.

x1024_e9941a7e-62ab-41fd-a4bb-f3e5addf84b6_521x521.png

We already have a gas bbq, so this will run from the same gas bottle. And as its pretty compact (the legs fold down) we'll also be able to take it away with us in the motorhome and run it from the external gas point :thumbsup:

I think I mentioned on another thread that I'm getting an Ooni pizza oven for my birthday this year. When I ordered it back in January they were stating a shipping date of late March, but that was fine because my birthday isn't until April. I just got a notification this morning that its going to be arriving tomorrow :hyper: So its turned out to be a Valentines prezzie instead 💝

Guess we're having pizza this weekend!

Great! That means more presents in April.

I can make pizza better than most pizzerias, but mine is more traditional.

The problem is all of them use the same ingredients now, from one place. Even Pizza Hut tastes like a five buck Dominoes.

So assuming you can make dough, the pizza itself becomes the issue.

So I fry up the onions, mushrooms and sausage. Into that grease goes tomato sauce. Also there is rosemary/fennel tea. Dried rosemary is very togh and I have found noting to grind it, so I take it with soem fennel and put it in a coffee filter and boil it until the water is brown. Then goes in a bunck of onions and garlic all cutup fine, or stuck in a processor. I add some olive oil at the time and some white chardonay. After the veggies are softened up I add the sauce, from a can but I get a good brand - no sugar either.

To that the spices, oregano, basil, thyme, celery seed, and it cooks down. Know how soem people have trouble making sauce thick enough ? I have to add water a couple of times, the secret, use a flat pan like a frying pan. After maybe an hour it is done. you know to press the dough right ? Not try to stretchit. Moosh it.

Ten the technique. I saw this done and liked it and it does work. Throw all the sauce in the midddle, then you tilt and bumb the pan to spread it around. It will be a bit thickeer o n the middle usually but not much. IS OK, you throw the cheese all in the middle as well and spread it out with your hands. This pushes the sauce out toward the edges.

Then the toppings, well mine to not fall off.

The sausage goes on first and is pushed into the cheese. Then everything else except the pepperoni, that goes on top. Green peppers and hot peppers also go on at that time.

Bake at 425ºF or a hair more on the middle rack. You tell when the crust is done, it should kinda float in the pan, like you can shake it around a little. At that point if the top is not brown enough for you, move it to the highest rack in the oven and let it go there for a short time.

Then it needs to go on a slab to cool before cutting. I have a granite one but many things will work, a sink cutout actually works pretty well.

That pizza drew a crowd every week and for leftovers we had to take them first.

I do realize there are many other ways concocted to make pizza, but this is the "regular" in a way.

A couple of things I won't do, like pineapple or any fruit except tomato, and no anchovies.

T

I can make pizza better than most pizzerias, but mine is more traditional.
T

Most pizzarias make commercial pizzas from standard source materials. Good Italian restaurants can turn out some great pizzas. But I have to agree that I can turn out better pizzas than the chain pizzarias.

The best pizza I ever made, I made just in the last week or two and posted the recipe here at CB.

Dish Sopresatta Pizza Pie

This is a sort of deep dish pizza and it was excellent with a wonderfully soft and flavorful crust and a content sauce that was just plain spectacular.

We have pizza pretty much once a week, but mine are Neapolitan style pizzas with a thin crust underneath and light and puffy around the edges. The secret of a great pizza is not to overload the toppings...less is more :okay:

This is one of my recent creations: a very simple wild garlic pesto and mozzarella:
KIrscdp.jpg

I've also started using a biga dough recently. Because its fermented it gives a great flavour to the crust and because so little yeast is used its much easier to digest too.

Jar of warm water, Tblsp of sugar and a package of yeast.

Measure out flour according to one of the popular recipes, whatever size you want of course. Just make sure there isn't too much water in it.

You want red sauce ? Are you wiling to spend some time ? Put ried rosemary and fenel seeds in a pouch made from a coffee filter. Boil in water until water gets brown. It also reduces. ;Do this in a small frypan. Once it is brown, take out the bag and if it is not completely clear strain it. Ten put in finely chopped garlic and oinon to taste. Add a littrel olive oil, and white chardonay is not bad if not too much. Then after all that is softened and the other spices. Basil, oregano, thyme, celery seed, others will go but thewse will do the trick. If you want really spicy sauce use a tsp each and only one eight ounce can of sauce, if not so spicy is desired which you might prefer anyway, use two eigth oiunc cnas of sauce. Get the kind with no sugar. You can aalso add ceyenne pepper to taste.

Cook her down, then if it is a sorta flat pan like I intended it should get thick, requiring the addition of water.

After an hour turn it off.

During that time the yeast has proofed for sure. You could have been cutting up veggies etc. for it. Throw the yeast mix in the dough with a tsp or so of salt, the one requirement here is that it not be too much, else you have to add floor which can throw everything off a bit.

Let er rise, pop er down. Let er rise, pop er down and then press into the pan. (do not try to stretch it, PRESS it and make it spread, it wil take a few times before it relaxes, a warm room is better)

Once pressed out throw a BIG spoon of sauce, or pour it in the middle. Then you tilt the pan every which wway to spread the sauce. There will probably be a bit more in the middle bit that is fine. The cheese goes i n the middle and you sprad it with your hands. This will push the sauce out to the sides.

You have sauteed the sausage, that goes on first, and then is pressed into the cheese. All else goes next except the pepperoni. All else, some may be sauteed if you choose. The pepperoni go on last so it can get crisp.

Bake at 450ºF. (greased the pan a bit earlier hopefuly) When getting close, like when the top is starting to get a bit brown stick a spatula under it and see if it is stuck or starting to unstick. Do not go all the way under.

After you got the edges loose, take a mitt and SHAKE the pan. When it is done it will release and pose no problem coming out. It will practically slide out onto your cooling pad or whatever you got. Do yourself a favor and do not cut the pizza in the pan. Even a cheap aluminum one still works better when it is kinda smooth.

This should get you a pizza that is like what you order but better than most places. There are probably about 20 pizza places around here and mine beats all but two.

Once you have command of the basic deluxe as everyone can call for, then time to get creative.
(I hope I didn't leave out anything important)

T

Back
Top Bottom