Ideas for apples?

Local time
10:02 AM
We have an apple orchard on our estate so this time of year the residents can pick as many apples as they want. We went over yesterday and now have a tub full of lovely apples and need inspiration what I can do with them - no idea of the varieties except they seem to be cookers rather than eaters.

So far I've made a toffee apple cake and I have some apple cheese drying out in the oven right now. I'm planning to make a few jars of apple sauce but I need inspiration please....all I can think of are the usual cakes and puddings - there must be something more unusual I can try?

Apple butter. If you don't know what it is it's a very smooth, very nice apple preserve. It can be very toffee like if you want it to be, made in the oven after some work time in a jam put our very large cooking vessel, and totally wonderful. I'll link in a recipe tomorrow my time but there is one on the site somewhere. It is very easy and uses large quantities of apples. The more toffee like, the more apples used!

Yep I've just been reading that one - sounds delish so its on the list of things to try :okay: just need to get some jars to store it in (I used all the ones I had for chilli jam a few weeks ago).
I've also had an idea about combining chillies and apples.....something along the lines of a mango chutney but made with apples instead of mango. If I find a suitable recipe (and if it works!) I'll report back.

Strudels either puff paste or filo pastry with a proper vanilla sauce
Apple Charlotte with brioche ,Apple crisps are a good snack,baked apples with a frangipane,Apple crime brûlées are great

Having a go at cider vinegar this year - started a batch off a couple of weeks ago, it's really easy. An early Christmas present this year was a fruit press and a cider making kit, so will be getting stuck into that over the coming weeks.

My wife makes a really good apple and chilli jelly that's great with pork. I will try and get the recipe!

Having a go at cider vinegar this year - started a batch off a couple of weeks ago, it's really easy. An early Christmas present this year was a fruit press and a cider making kit, so will be getting stuck into that over the coming weeks.

My wife makes a really good apple and chilli jelly that's great with pork. I will try and get the recipe!
I'd love to make cider vinegar coz its pretty expensive in the shops, but I guess you really need a press for that? I think a small fruit press might be going on my Christmas list this year ;-)
Apple and chillli jelly sounds fab - would really appreciate it if she would be willing to share the recipe!

I'd love to make cider vinegar coz its pretty expensive in the shops, but I guess you really need a press for that? I think a small fruit press might be going on my Christmas list this year ;-)
Apple and chillli jelly sounds fab - would really appreciate it if she would be willing to share the recipe!
No you dont need a fruit press for this. Just apples, sugar and a jar - this is the method I am using:

http://talesofakitchen.com/raw/homemade-organic-raw-apple-cider-vinegar/

Early days yet but it seems to be working - fermentation is definitely happening, you can tell by the smell.

Will get back to you with the apple chilli jelly recipe :)

Apple sponge pudding is delicious.
Sliced cooking apples and sugar in a baking dish topped with cake mixture and baked. I don't have a particular recipie but my mum uses the 4,4, 4 quantities.

Back
Top Bottom