Ideas for (cooked) mustard sauce

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:41 AM
Recipe development - all ideas appreciated!

I'm not sure where the idea came from for cooked mustard sauce but maybe because I remember a chicken dish cooked in Dijon mustard which was lovely. Where and when I had that dish I can no longer recall. It was back in the 80's I think. Anyway, I was wondering if I could make a cooked sauce from American mustard. This is the one I use:

LN_578590_BP_11.jpg

I was thinking to cook either hard boiled eggs or chicken breasts/thighs in the sauce but I'm open to any ideas. So far, I found a few German recipes for eggs in mustard sauce.

Any ideas please ?

Ina Garten's mustard chicken thighs come to mind, made w dijon & whole grain mustard, creme fraiche and white wine. I think yellow mustard would taste odd. Just me. If you can't find the recipe on line, I'll post a link when I can get to my laptop. I like your saucy ideas though.

Ina Garten's mustard chicken thighs come to mind, made w dijon & whole grain mustard, creme fraiche and white wine. I think yellow mustard would taste odd. Just me. If you can't find the recipe on line, I'll post a link when I can get to my laptop. I like your saucy ideas though.

That sounds like the dish I remember eating in the 80's. You may be right about using American mustard - perhaps it would be odd. I will experiment by making a small amount when I work out what to use.

I often use mustard in sauces, but usually Dijon, occasionally wholegrain. Never had American mustard - is it like English?

I often use mustard in sauces, but usually Dijon, occasionally wholegrain. Never had American mustard - is it like English?

Its the sort of mustard you get in most burger places and they have it in sachets in Wetherspoons. I'm rather fond of it - is not like English or Dijon. Its rather sweet tasting and not hot. Kids like it! Its more like some Eastern European mustards in a way. In fact I wondered if it had sugar in it but it doesn't seem to.

If you haven't tried it then you should - just for the taste experience.

I usually use Yellow mustard on a hot dog or on a potato knish. It might be good though, the more I think about it. Mustard and Worcestershire sauce, etc., is another thought. Taste and see what you think. I can see lots of possibilities for mustard sauce. Over asparagus, brussels sprouts, broccoli, fish, chicken cordon bleu.

Last edited:
We make a 3 (sometimes 4) mustard chicken. It has Chinese mustard, a sweet/hot Bavarian mustard and Dijon (smooth and/or whole seed depending on what we have), plus honey and some cream. Chicken marinades in part of it and you use the rest to baste as you grill, then heat up what's left for sauce.

We make a 3 (sometimes 4) mustard chicken. It has Chinese mustard, a sweet/hot Bavarian mustard and Dijon (smooth and/or whole seed depending on what we have), plus honey and some cream. Chicken marinades in part of it and you use the rest to baste as you grill, then heat up what's left for sauce.

I like the idea of the chicken marinating. Honey might be a good addition too. What is Chinese mustard?

I'm a citrus fan. Thinking mustard, lemon juice, and/or white wine, herbes de provence? Might be a good combo for mustard potato salad as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom