Ideas for using spinach

This is the first year my husband I will spend Thanksgiving alone together. When I first met him, we would always go with the in-laws to his uncle's house. His aunt always made this dip every year. The uncle passed away a few years ago, but generally someone in the family would make this dip (the cold version) from vegetable soup mix at Thanksgiving in the years after. It's super easy and tasty. I just made it for us for tomorrow (1/2 batch), as we will veg out in front of the TV and be lazy most of the day.

I had fresh spinach (it calls for frozen), but I froze it for a few hours, cooked it, let it cool, wrung it dry, and chopped it. It worked out perfectly. The recipe has water chestnuts and green onion as optional. I recommend using them. I always serve it with dark pumpernickel bread and baby carrots, celery, and sometimes broccoli for dipping. There is a hot spinach dip reciple on the package as well, though I have never tried it.

Last edited:
This is the first year my husband I will spend Thanksgiving alone together. When I first met him, we would always go with the in-laws to his uncle's house. His aunt always made this dip every year. The uncle passed away a few years ago, but generally someone in the family would make this dip (the cold version) from vegetable soup mix at Thanksgiving in the years after. It's super easy and tasty. I just made it for us for tomorrow (1/2 batch), as we will veg out in front of the TV and be lazy most of the day.

I had fresh spinach (it calls for frozen), but I froze it for a few hours, cooked it, let it cool, wrung it dry, and chopped it. It worked out perfectly. The recipe has water chestnuts and green onion as optional. I recommend using them. I always serve it with dark pumpernickel bread and baby carrots, celery, and sometimes broccoli for dipping. There is a hot spinach dip reciple on the package as well, though I have never tried it.

View attachment 51312
View attachment 51314

View attachment 51313

View attachment 51315

Far as I know we don't get Knorr 'vegetable mix' in the UK. Is it dehydrated vegetables?

Far as I know we don't get Knorr 'vegetable mix' in the UK. Is it dehydrated vegetables?
I suspected as much. Knorr was a German company that was purchased by Lipton, then finally Unilever. It's vegetable soup mix, it's dehydrated vegetables and seasonings. Do any UK stores sell similar packs of soup mix?

I suspected as much. Knorr was a German company that was purchased by Lipton, then finally Unilever. It's vegetable soup mix, it's dehydrated vegetables and seasonings. Do any UK stores sell similar packs of soup mix?

Hmmm... we have 'cup-a-soup' or 'instant soup' mixes in sachets. Quite ghastly really (although I have been known to use them!). You put the mix in a cup or mug and add boiling water to rehydrate the veg. What I didn't quite understand about the cold dip you showed was how the veg can rehydrate.

Hmmm... we have 'cup-a-soup' or 'instant soup' mixes in sachets. Quite ghastly really (although I have been known to use them!). You put the mix in a cup or mug and add boiling water to rehydrate the veg. What I didn't quite understand about the cold dip you showed was how the veg can rehydrate.
The sour cream rehydrates the vegetables, I am guessing? Our sour cream has a lot of moisture in it.

Could be. Or maybe the veg are more powdered than in the soup mixes we get here?
Do they have onion soup mix over there? How about French onion dip? That's a pretty common thing here for dipping potato crisps and other snacks. And it is sold already premade or people buy sour cream and mix onion soup mix in it to make the dip. Diet food, haha!

then finally Unilever
I thought you might be interested in the history of a Mersyside Company who were an exemplar for maslow's hierarchy of needs. As Lever envisioned, Port Sunlight provided decent living conditions for the workers and their families and also provided for the education and entertainment of his workforce, encouraging recreation and organisations which promoted art, literature, science or music. He believed that good housing with cultural activities would ensure a happy, healthy and productive workforce. His vision carries on today. The Lady Lever art gallery is my one of my favorite galleries in the world.
1606454482243.png
1606454566991.png

Back
Top Bottom