I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the problem eating lots of carbs is the surge in insulin to remove the sugar because generally the pancreas overcompensates and produces more insulin that most people need. Normal glucose might be in the say 100 mg/dl before a meal and shoot up to 160 and then drop down into the 60's which is the crash, light headedness, lethargy and a good sign someone is on their way to insulin resistance, is insulin resistant or has diabetes. Removing sugar keep glucose levels fairly stable although protein does effect insulin somewhat, but not much. Also insulin interrupts or stops fat metabolism. If you remove the all day grazing that removes the possibility of a continual response to the elevated glucose which also partitions fat to be burned as fuel. I consume 2 meals a day generally, 1 in the morning and 1 at night and I have stable energy and rarely to I feel hungry, and never have the need to count calories, ever, a win win. Good luck with your plan.
Thank you. The bit about insulin resistance is a concern. Both my maternal grandparents were diabetic, and my mom was just diagnosed with diabetes at 51, so I do have the genetic disposition for it and I've had a horrible diet for the first 25 years of my life or so (from when I was 15/16 until I was 24/25, I used to eat sugar every day, and I do mean every single day). I used to have a lot of low blood sugar crisis (feeling weak, jittery, and lightheaded), especially in the summer, but I take blood tests every year and my fasting blood sugar is always low, and my doctors always dismissed it as "some people are like that just eat more frequently". Throughout the day I always eat frequently but try to eat small doses in between meals (just thinking about having only 2 meals per day makes me want to faint!). Hopefully I'm still in time to turn this around. Thank you for explaining the insulin process too, that was helpful and I didn't know how it worked.

Thank you. The bit about insulin resistance is a concern. Both my maternal grandparents were diabetic, and my mom was just diagnosed with diabetes at 51, so I do have the genetic disposition for it and I've had a horrible diet for the first 25 years of my life or so (from when I was 15/16 until I was 24/25, I used to eat sugar every day, and I do mean every single day). I used to have a lot of low blood sugar crisis (feeling weak, jittery, and lightheaded), especially in the summer, but I take blood tests every year and my fasting blood sugar is always low, and my doctors always dismissed it as "some people are like that just eat more frequently". Throughout the day I always eat frequently but try to eat small doses in between meals (just thinking about having only 2 meals per day makes me want to faint!). Hopefully I'm still in time to turn this around. Thank you for explaining the insulin process too, that was helpful and I didn't know how it worked.
Yeah, testing fasting blood sugar levels is the "Standard of Care" but lots of people will show acceptable levels but still have insulin resistant. A more advanced test that is generally never done is what's called a fasting insulin level test which is taken after 8 hours of fasting and needs to be done by drawing blood and sent to a lab. Blood glucose and HbA1C testing are valuable, but the fasting insulin test is ideal for predicting early signs of blood sugar trouble. Ask your Dr. about it. Hypoglycemia is the crash like your experiencing but what's making you hungry is the hypoglycemia and the need to eat sugar to bring glucose levels back to base line, it's a vicious circle. I would suggest if you have a real concern to contact a clinic that tackles the diabetic situation with a more holistic approach which the diet your on now would more than likely be one that is prescribed. Basically taking the sugar out of the diet will and does reverse diabetes, so being informed is key to better health today, which is where we live.

Weekly weigh-in for MrsT, she’s down another 2.8lbs, for a total weight loss so far of 14.6lbs.

I have magically put on three pounds. Thank you, meatball sub and fries! :laugh:
Congrats to MrsT!:cake: (ok maybe no cake for celebration though!)

As for you, weight can be affected by fluid retention or constipation, can it be the reason why you saw the scales go up?

Both of my doctors (hematologist and pulmonologist) have explicitely stated that my current health issues have NOTHING to do with my diet or my weight. We're currently looking at a possible condition which we need special tests for that will be done in september, but that condition just a matter of bad luck. It would mean that my PE's are not caused by the traditional causes for them, so excercising more is a smart idea but only to strengthen my heart and lungs might I get more PE's in order to increase survival rate for them in the future. But my illness is not caused by lifestyle.
Either way, every time I step on the scale right now it gives a lower number. And I am not even trying actively now, so I have to be careful.

Both of my doctors (hematologist and pulmonologist) have explicitely stated that my current health issues have NOTHING to do with my diet or my weight. We're currently looking at a possible condition which we need special tests for that will be done in september, but that condition just a matter of bad luck. It would mean that my PE's are not caused by the traditional causes for them, so excercising more is a smart idea but only to strengthen my heart and lungs might I get more PE's in order to increase survival rate for them in the future. But my illness is not caused by lifestyle.
Either way, every time I step on the scale right now it gives a lower number. And I am not even trying actively now, so I have to be careful.
I am happy you are losing weight, but I am really worried about the rest.

I am happy you are losing weight, but I am really worried about the rest.
:hug: I am not trying to anymore and it's still happening, thats what I was trying to say so you interpreted it well. Given my condition I don't think it's healthy weight loss despite doctors encouraging it at first . They seem to have started to realise that too. Significant emotional crisis always trigger my ED and the ICU people told me to lose weight.. so I started but I realise now is probably not the time. You are right. I can start that when I am sure all the test results are OK, so somewhere in september.

Another week gone and MrsT has lost a further 1.6lbs, which for her, may as well be gaining five pounds, as she's very unhappy with that. I, OTOH, and doing my usual alternating losing/gaining the same three pounds - I'm down this week. 🤷‍♂️

After several weeks of this, I can say our dairy consumption (which around here means milk, half-n-half, cheese, and butter) has dropped to almost nothing: she went from four mugs of tea a day that were half tea and half half-n-half (say that three times fast) to one mug of tea with 1-1/2 TB half-n-half, she's stopped eating cereal (which surprises me the most, as cereal is one of her all-time favorite things), and she's virtually stopped eating cheese, except for one light Baby Bell with her salad, and I've stopped nearly all cooking in butter (and oil).

Fresh fruit and veg have gone way up, eggs have gone way up (and we were already eating a lot of those), and of course, the avocados...she has avocado a few times a week.

After several weeks of this, I can say our dairy consumption (which around here means milk, half-n-half, cheese, and butter) has dropped to almost nothing: she went from four mugs of tea a day that were half tea and half half-n-half (say that three times fast) to one mug of tea with 1-1/2 TB half-n-half, she's stopped eating cereal (which surprises me the most, as cereal is one of her all-time favorite things), and she's virtually stopped eating cheese, except for one light Baby Bell with her salad, and I've stopped nearly all cooking in butter (and oil).

:eek:

Another week gone and MrsT has lost a further 1.6lbs, which for her, may as well be gaining five pounds, as she's very unhappy with that. I, OTOH, and doing my usual alternating losing/gaining the same three pounds - I'm down this week. 🤷‍♂️

Fresh fruit and veg have gone way up, eggs have gone way up (and we were already eating a lot of those), and of course, the avocados...she has avocado a few times a week.
Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom