I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean I'd have to eat/drink all that per day? I don't think its going to happen in my case...
I am hoping she meant just 1 of those, but doubtful that's the case.

If you make stocks out of shrimp/crab/lobster shells, you are undoubtedly getting some extra calcium that way. Same thing with animal bones, though you are likely getting more collagen from beef/chicken bones than calcium. It's just easier to pop a supplement for me than to have to worry about if I ate enough cheese etc. I hate weighing and measuring things, which is why I suck at using recipes. :laugh: And sticking to diets, which is why I just manage portion control instead and don't overeat anymore. That did take some time to learn, when I was 16 I could eat a pound of steak, a huge baked potato, a salad, and still have room for dessert. Now I do about 4.-6 oz of meat and small portions of everything else, rarely dessert.

Last edited:
I eat bread about 2x a week
I’m more like 2x an hour! :laugh:
All that half 'n half in tea was never a good thing IMHO. And its so unBritish!
I’m sure I mentioned this before, but my standard tea practice is to half-fill the mug with half-n-half and the other half with tea, then drink about a quarter of that, top it off with tea, drink some more, more tea added, etc.

It may mean the first mug has a lot of dairy in it and the last mug has very little, but it all averages out. :wink:

I’m more like 2x an hour! :laugh:

I’m sure I mentioned this before, but my standard tea practice is to half-fill the mug with half-n-half and the other half with tea, then drink about a quarter of that, top it off with tea, drink some more, more tea added, etc.

It may mean the first mug has a lot of dairy in it and the last mug has very little, but it all averages out. :wink:
I think if you feel good from eating/drinking what you like there is no point in changing that.

That might be the smartest thing anyone has said, ever. Get that in your signature block! 🙏
I think for a lot of people, it just works. If someone lives in a food desert (which all or most people in this forum obviously don't) they might not have much of a choice. That and children who have to rely on their parents to cook delicious and nutritious food but are served a lot of food with empty calories or just generally imbalanced diets...

But I listen to my "gut" (and taste buds), and it seems to be working okay for me! :laugh:

Yeah, me too. Canada isn't the best climate for skin exposure to the sun and especially considering it takes shirt off and no sunscreens and not just face and hands to make enough Vit D.

You can have some of our sunshne, in exchange for some cool temperatures and maybe a bit of rain. Of course, the Texas sun would probably turn you into a cooked lobster.

CD

You can have some of our sunshne, in exchange for some cool temperatures and maybe a bit of rain. Of course, the Texas sun would probably turn you into a cooked lobster.

CD
Yesterday when I was in PA the high was 73F degrees. Today here in OH the high is supposed to be 88F, still too hot for me!

CD
Yeah, last week broke records and we were in the mid to high 90's and this week in the mid 80's but the humidity is a thing in this Provence.

Just remember that too much calcium in the diet is also just as dangerous and can also ironically result in weaker bones including osteoporosis, cause kidney stones, and interfere with how your heart and brain function, cause muscle weakness, vomiting, cramps, and more

So as always talk to a doctor, rather than going in blindly and guessing. Get tested. Bone density scans are not expensive and are the only way to know what is going on in your bones at that moment in time.
The calcium I take is prescribed by my doctor and I of course had testing done before they agreed. My bone density is fine, as was the bloodwork and calcium levels, but I am trying to stay ahead of the game!

As for vit D / calcium: I get a liquid 25000 ie prescription from the pharmacy because my ileum ( small bowel) was damaged by surgery and doesn't absorb vit D well. This keeps my levels at the lower end of normal, without it I drop far below.
My bones are fine except some minor damage in my lower back from 3 years of continous prednisone intake, but it has remained stable since.

As for my weight, it stabilised since I last posted and that's what I want right now. Not gaining or losing.

The calcium I take is prescribed by my doctor and I of course had testing done before they agreed. My bone density is fine, as was the bloodwork and calcium levels, but I am trying to stay ahead of the game!
Same here, I'm prescribed twice the normal dose by my endocrinologist and have been treated for O, but that's because of multiple medical issues including but not limited to the fact that I'm on steroids for life (if I don't take them I'm dead, cortisol is vital too life as you know).

My point was simply that increasing for the sake of the marketing ploy that you can only get calcium from dairy and 'you're' (generic you're) limiting dairy because you're on a diet is not the way to go and no-one should be telling someone to do so. It's a doctors decision to make. Calcium is sensible from plenty of other sources, it's just the dairy industry have convinced the world with decades of advertising that this isn't the case.

JAS_OH1 this isn't aimed at you.
And just to make the point, I'm not going any further with this discussion (regarding the dairy industry advertising). I have my view and I know others don't agree. I just see it from the other side of the fence.

Same here, I'm prescribed twice the normal dose by my endocrinologist and have been treated for O, but that's because of multiple medical issues including but not limited to the fact that I'm on steroids for life (if I don't take them I'm dead, cortisol is vital too life as you know).

My point was simply that increasing for the sake of the marketing ploy that you can only get calcium from dairy and 'you're' (generic you're) limiting dairy because you're on a diet is not the way to go and no-one should be telling someone to do so. It's a doctors decision to make. Calcium is sensible from plenty of other sources, it's just the dairy industry have convinced the world with decades of advertising that this isn't the case.

JAS_OH1 this isn't aimed at you.
And just to make the point, I'm not going any further with this discussion (regarding the dairy industry advertising). I have my view and I know others don't agree. I just see it from the other side of the fence.
I don't think anyone mentioned that we can only get calcium from dairy but it is a good source. The processed food industry and not just dairy is full of misinformation and lies all for market penetration and profit and the main reason for the individual to to do their own research and try to find the truths, which is difficult in this corrupt nutritional landscape, especially considering most PCP's know absolutely nothing about nutrition and are mostly influenced by the pharmaceutical industry, it's basically a war zone of misinformation and misdiagnosis which has resulted in the outright disintegrating health we see before us and it's getting worse. The words “Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food" by Hippocrates has never been more appropriate and it's our responsibility to understand that as much as possible. Cheers

If you make stocks out of shrimp/crab/lobster shells, you are undoubtedly getting some extra calcium that way. Same thing with animal bones, though you are likely getting more collagen from beef/chicken bones than calcium.

I do occasionally make shellfish stock and I sometimes eat tinned sardines (which include softened bones). But I take a calcium supplement these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom