I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, I'm prescribed twice the normal dose by my endocrinologist and have been treated for O, but that's because of multiple medical issues including but not limited to the fact that I'm on steroids for life (if I don't take them I'm dead, cortisol is vital too life as you know).

My point was simply that increasing for the sake of the marketing ploy that you can only get calcium from dairy and 'you're' (generic you're) limiting dairy because you're on a diet is not the way to go and no-one should be telling someone to do so. It's a doctors decision to make. Calcium is sensible from plenty of other sources, it's just the dairy industry have convinced the world with decades of advertising that this isn't the case.

JAS_OH1 this isn't aimed at you.
And just to make the point, I'm not going any further with this discussion (regarding the dairy industry advertising). I have my view and I know others don't agree. I just see it from the other side of the fence.
I didn't take any offense to what you said, and not trying to argue with anyone. However, I did say leafy greens were a good source of calcium and in another post mentioned shellfish stock. Of course dairy isn't the only good source of calcium. I don't consume enough of it or anything else with calcium to meet my dietary needs, though. TR already said MrsT takes calcium...apparently many of us do.

When I get my bloodwork done, my levels are within the normal range.

Edited to add that I really don't care for milk. I'd never just drink a glass of it and I don't eat cereal with milk. A little in coffee is alright, but I prefer cream. I'll use it in pancake batter but prefer buttermilk. Cheese is my kryptonite, though!

Last edited:
I have never heard the dairy industry say that dairy is the "only" source of calcium, just that it is a "good" source of calcium, which is true.

CD
No, neither have I. Most gov'ts are still recommending to reduce consumption of dairy and that dairy be either low fat or fat free, so the misinformation about saturated fat and cholesterol is still alive and well, which was dispelled right from the get go but the "fat will make you fat" and "cholesterol causes heart disease" in the McGovern report way back when won out and it was sugar that was the darling of this new low fat era and the rest is history. Anyway calcium is basically about absorption and bones are about getting enough of the building material to support and to rebuild. Protein being the nutrient for bones and if we don't consume it the body will just take it from our existing skeletal structure.

Dairy has both calcium and protein that is extremely bioavailable and the reason is simply because both represent biologically a similar and recognizable source for the human body, so no guess work or metabolic gymnastics to convert other sources, those being plants and plants are fine but it just needs to be recognized that bioavailability are not the same in plants simply because we are not plants, we are animals.

Older people that don't get out much in the sun, don't eat enough protein, don't get enough exercise will be exposing themselves to a weaker frame and very much susceptible to fractures that don't represent the severity of the fall at all and arthritic complications. Frail and weak is not what I want or anyone should want as they get older. cheers.

Last edited:
I didn't take any offense to what you said, and not trying to argue with anyone. However, I did say leafy greens were a good source of calcium and in another post mentioned shellfish stock. Of course dairy isn't the only good source of calcium.
Yeah and greens only work for people who can digest them. One of the major reasons I had to stop being vegan after ileostomy surgery was that the major sources of vit D that are plant based (mushrooms, green veg, nuts) all get digested much less or not at all when you have no colon. Mushrooms are the only vegetable solely processed in your colon, the RD told me. I've noticed, because while I've eaten very small amounts they always pass me in the shape I chewed them into. And my ileum has been damaged in the place where vit D is processed too, so all in all I can't absorb it quite right and dairy is the best option to me because it comes in liquid forms that can be digested earlier in the bowel. So I always eat yoghurt in the morning and some other dairy through the day.

Of course, I am a special case. And Satnav is correct that for most people, plant based material does offer enough calcium if you eat enough of it. But most people who are not vegan have trouble reaching the correct amount, because they just eat less plant matter.

MrsT is down another pound, for a total of 17 pounds lost since early June.

She’s on vacation this week, though, so I don’t expect that trend to continue. :eek:

She’s on vacation this week, though, so I don’t expect that trend to continue. :eek:
That's great.

I'm up 1lb (½kg) since 9th May (hubby's operation) but that seems to be muscle gain given I had to move 100kg of chook feed today in 4 bags and 1 missed the hand trolley. Picking it up despite my current issues with my back was remarkably easier than it has been for a long time. I guess all the axe use and chainsaw must have had another effect other than hurting my back!

That is brilliant.

Is she going to try to follow WW points while she is away? It'd be a shame to put weight back on...

That is brilliant.

Is she going to try to follow WW points while she is away? It'd be a shame to put weight back on...
This will require a bit of a detailed explanation:

As I mentioned earlier, WW gives every food item/recipe a point value, and a person is allocated a certain number of points a day.

Additionally, at the start of each week (MrsT’s week starts today), a person gets a certain number of cheat points, to allow them the occasional splurge, so they don’t feel denied (and so WW can claim, “You can eat anything you want!”). Also, certain activities (exercise, drinking water, eating fresh non-starchy vegetables) will add points to that bank of cheat points.

All that is so I can say that, up to now, MrsT has steadfastly refused to dip into her cheat points and has been living within her daily point balance, but now that she’s on vacation and eating out every day, she’s agreed to temporarily use some of her cheat points.

Hopefully, that at least let’s her maintain and not put any back on, but we’ll have to wait and see.

…and she just texted me to say that due to her latest weigh-in, she’s had another point deducted from her daily allowance! 😆

This will require a bit of a detailed explanation:

As I mentioned earlier, WW gives every food item/recipe a point value, and a person is allocated a certain number of points a day.

Additionally, at the start of each week (MrsT’s week starts today), a person gets a certain number of cheat points, to allow them the occasional splurge, so they don’t feel denied (and so WW can claim, “You can eat anything you want!”). Also, certain activities (exercise, drinking water, eating fresh non-starchy vegetables) will add points to that bank of cheat points.

All that is so I can say that, up to now, MrsT has steadfastly refused to dip into her cheat points and has been living within her daily point balance, but now that she’s on vacation and eating out every day, she’s agreed to temporarily use some of her cheat points.

Hopefully, that at least let’s her maintain and not put any back on, but we’ll have to wait and see.

…and she just texted me to say that due to her latest weigh-in, she’s had another point deducted from her daily allowance! 😆
The dreaded deduction, mindboggling TR.:hyper:

The dreaded deduction, mindboggling TR.:hyper:
I think it’s based on the idea that the smaller you get, the less you need to eat to keep losing, but my mind says, the more you lose weight, the more you should be rewarded with more points! :laugh:

I think it’s based on the idea that the smaller you get, the less you need to eat to keep losing, but my mind says, the more you lose weight, the more you should be rewarded with more points! :laugh:
Haha. Well people will blame themselves for not losing weight or cheating more when in reality being in a state of "starvation" which is what the body interprets when nutritional goals are not met and in reality is not sustainable, but people like a plan and this one is well promoted. Hope your wife doesn't use up all her points. cheers.

I don't like have to do this, but I want to make it very clear to everyone here and now,
whether they contribute to this thread or not, that this thread and any subsequent ones (e.g. 2023) is for supporting those with their weightloss goals. Everyone in this thread has different reasons for dieting. Most have medical issues that complicate weightloss, exercise or both.

Anyone not supporting a member, being negative towards another member (intentionally or otherwise) or generally being unhelpful, unsupportive, unkind, rude and so on (intentionally or otherwise), will find themselves banned permanently from these threads.

The weight loss has had the intended effect so far: my liver has normalised. All the regular lab measurements are OK, the elevated ones I talked about in the general chat are only proteins the liver produces when there is an autoimmune response, but nothing wrong with the liver itself the doctor told me today.

Yay! I'm always careful about major organs, problems with them can have major consequences. I'm happy that stopping my daily soda habit and losing some weight has worked.

The weight loss has had the intended effect so far: my liver has normalised. All the regular lab measurements are OK, the elevated ones I talked about in the general chat are only proteins the liver produces when there is an autoimmune response, but nothing wrong with the liver itself the doctor told me today.

Yay! I'm always careful about major organs, problems with them can have major consequences. I'm happy that stopping my daily soda habit and losing some weight has worked.
I am so glad you have a healthy liver, that was a scary thought! Great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom