I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What works for me is basically reducing highly processed foods and eating mostly whole foods while helping me reduce my carbohydrate intake which in turn I find keeps me more satiated. Basically a lower carb whole food diet keeps me full longer and is much healthier at my age. You have to change your lifestyle when it comes to food because diets, you know the commercial ones, diet books, all of them have around a 95% failure rate and a waste of time and money, imo. Hopefully that lifestyle change includes some weight training and some cardio as well.

Snacking isn't necessarily bad, it depends on why you are snacking, and what you are snacking on.

My typical routine is not thre full meals a day. I "graze" most days. I eat a little at a time, all day long. That works for me.

Now, if you eat three full meals a day, and snack on empty calories your body doesn't need between meals, your body will store those unused calories as fat.

CD

All the bad stuff for comfort.

For a long time I was overweight at about 90kg, and I also have Type 2 Diabetes.
I always tried to eat healthily and 'diabetically' but couldn't seem to lose the weight, so about 2 years ago I put myself on a proper weight loss diet, following the book -
'The Fast 800' by Dr Michael Mosley and using Exante dieting/meal replacement products, aka The Newcastle Diet
I got down to 81 - 82kg but over the past few months that has crept up to about 87kg, and a few treats at Christmas didn't help

Well a New Year was the obvious time to lose that weight
I resist the temptation to weigh myself very frequently, so I just do it on Monday mornings
On Monday morning, 3rd January 2022, the first Monday of 2022 I was 86,9kg, naked - don't let me put you off your dinner!

I'd had a medical review right at the end of November 2021 and that was good, apart from the weight, so It would be sensible not to let that deteriorate due to excessive weight

I have about 17 or 18 cookery books & a big folder of leaflets & cuttings on diabetic, weight loss, Mediterranean diets, plus there is the Website & Forum of Diabetes UK, and there's always YouTube
Yet I almost never look at them, instead I make something out of my 'ead, as my Mum used to say
Well that has worked passably well for years, but as I've very recently finished the food I got in for the Christmas & New Year period I thought I would follow a proper diet or meal plan
This should be easier as I won't need to think, just follow instructions

I used to do a lot of hiking but as I've got older my legs ache more, so at the end of summer 2021 I started doing Tai Chi, which is a martial art, but not as aggressive as things like judo or karate; find it on YouTube
There is a weekly session, and I do it each day at home, but I have yet to gain enough confidence to go and scare the ducks in the park

Speaking of which, during the past few months I have been going on walks around my area, to the park and along the streets, back lanes, and footpaths that all towns have
And I'll make more of an effort to do longer walks and see what I can manage

I think that's enough for now, I'll let you know how I've got on in the not too distant future

I don't want to weigh myself every week as very little will happen, much prefer once a month. My knees ache and being overweight doesn't help.
Walking works wonders as you see things you wouldn't normally if you are in a vehicle or running.

Well, got my doc's report, and my glucose level is up again (A1c), but that's directly attributable to all the candies and cakes and things I've been eating over the holidays.

So...officially back at it. I did put on seven pounds between about October and now, so I'll have to get that off, and knock off my chocolate-covered Oreo appetizers and Christmas pudding biscuit desserts for a while.

Well, got my doc's report, and my glucose level is up again (A1c), but that's directly attributable to all the candies and cakes and things I've been eating over the holidays.

So...officially back at it. I did put on seven pounds between about October and now, so I'll have to get that off, and knock off my chocolate-covered Oreo appetizers and Christmas pudding biscuit desserts for a while.
I've lost 6lbs in the last few days. Yes I'm trying to lose weight lol. I suspect most of that is probably water weight considering my carb intake is what I'm slowing down. Also no snacks and 2 meals a day. I've got another 15 to lose.

I've lost 6lbs in the last few days. Yes I'm trying to lose weight lol. I suspect most of that is probably water weight considering my carb intake is what I'm slowing down. Also no snacks and 2 meals a day. I've got another 15 to lose.
I had to laugh at what my doc's recommendation was.

Last time this happened, she jumped straight to the meds option, and I pushed back, telling her I preferred to try to lose some weight first and eat better, and she agreed, and over nearly four months, I lost almost 30lbs and my A1c went from 6.1 (pre-diabetic) to 5.9 (all clear), so no meds for me.

This time, she said, "Your A1c is back up to 6.1, so...just get some exercise and go on the Mediterranean diet, then come back in three months." :laugh:

I've got boxes and boxes of cookies and chocolates from the holidays, though. We haven't even opened the white fudge Oreos yet. 😢

I've got boxes and boxes of cookies and chocolates from the holidays, though. We haven't even opened the white fudge Oreos yet. 😢

That is all junk. I wouldn't even call it junk food - you need to train your mind to think of it as poison. I suppose I'm lucky because I don't have any desires for such horrible things. Now its your turn. You need to convince me that Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc are junk.

That is all junk. I wouldn't even call it junk food - you need to train your mind to think of it as poison. I suppose I'm lucky because I don't have any desires for such horrible things. Now its your turn. You need to convince me that Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc are junk.
I just have to practice moderation, which I'm generally pretty good at. Even over-indulging during the holidays, I was never one to really lose control and just stuff my face; rather, I told myself it was a two-month period more or less, and anything goes within reason, so eat whatever and however much you want, and get back to the usual after New Year's, so I didn't even feel let down from the doc's report.

As to the wine, that's really all I could say, is just practice moderation. I'm really lucky that way, I think. Except for pizza and potato chips/crisps, there really isn't anything that makes me lose control and consume too much of. I'll stop the sweets completely for the next three months, and assuming I get a good report, will be noshing on those Oreos this summer, one cookie a day.

Even booze is like that, and I like my booze. Right now, it's Friday-Sunday only, and reasonable amounts (no more than two drinks a day on those days, and usually less). I made it a solid 365 days with no booze in 2001-2002. Didn't bother me a bit.

The doc was laughing at me, because at the beginning of the year, they do a sort of overall assessment, so they ask questions like if you've felt depressed the last month, or if you feel you have emotional support, etc.

One of the questions she asked was, "When was the last time you had more than four drinks in a sitting?"

I said, "New Year's Day, because I made punch and drank from it all day, but that's because it was the holidays."

A couple of questions later, "Have you fallen in the last month?"

"Yeah, New Year's Day, because I made punch and drank from it all day, but that's because it was the holidays."

:laugh:

I took my car to the garage at 08:00am this morning for its service and MoT then walked 3 1/2 miles home in less than an hour. When I got home I had a large bowl of porridge. At 3:00pm I walked 3 1/2 miles back to collect my car, but as I had missed lunch, took comfort by eating four bananas on the way to keep my energy levels up. By the time I arrived home after collecting the car, hunger got the better of me, so three Penguin biscuits and a couple of KitKats filled the gap before my evening meal. I now sit watching television feeling quite stuffed and guilty after my rather large fried rice meal.

Thursday my doctor informed me I have osteoarthritis in my right knee.
So keeping my weight down is now more important than ever, my running days are over and I need to be sensible with walking, short not long walks.
Rather annoyed to be honest as I was looking forward to putting my running shoes back on :(

I tend to eat when I´m hungry.
I don´t follow the "rule" that you have to eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 12 and dinner at 7, and I generally avoid the "snack" syndrome.

During the working day we eat before we go to work, lunchtime is a set time and we eat when we get home because we are hungry, routine is a bit thing for us. Weekends and holidays are different.

Thursday my doctor informed me I have osteoarthritis in my right knee.
So keeping my weight down is now more important than ever, my running days are over and I need to be sensible with walking, short not long walks.
Rather annoyed to be honest as I was looking forward to putting my running shoes back on :(
Firstly, well done with the weight loss!

I used to do a lot of hiking & backpacking, all year round, but as I've got older my legs ache, so not so much now

But last summer, 2021 I started doing Tai Chi, which is a martial art but not as aggressive as things like karate or judo; even so, at the end of a session I definitely felt as though I had done some exercise
It is not just aimlessly waving you arms around - there are a series of standard exercises or movements that you join up to make a sequence; both the individual exercise and the complete sequence is called a Form, that's why you sometimes hear people talking about 'doing their Form'.
Start with just a few Forms, say 4 or 6; 18 is a good standard to aim for; experts can do 24, 32, or more
At first you concentrate on doing each movement which is a bit clunky, but as you get better things become more fluid and that's when you realise - Ah, that's how it works

As you might expect, if you Search YouTube for Tai Chi there are loads of videos, but here's something for inspiration

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFUaaCwYag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom