I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, well done with the weight loss!

I used to do a lot of hiking & backpacking, all year round, but as I've got older my legs ache, so not so much now

But last summer, 2021 I started doing Tai Chi, which is a martial art but not as aggressive as things like karate or judo; even so, at the end of a session I definitely felt as though I had done some exercise
It is not just aimlessly waving you arms around - there are a series of standard exercises or movements that you join up to make a sequence; both the individual exercise and the complete sequence is called a Form, that's why you sometimes hear people talking about 'doing their Form'.
Start with just a few Forms, say 4 or 6; 18 is a good standard to aim for; experts can do 24, 32, or more
At first you concentrate on doing each movement which is a bit clunky, but as you get better things become more fluid and that's when you realise - Ah, that's how it works

As you might expect, if you Search YouTube for Tai Chi there are loads of videos, but here's something for inspiration

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFUaaCwYag

I tried Tai Chi a few years ago but wasn't my thing, however now I am older, wiser and creakier I am open to trying it again.
Walking is my thing just can't do the mileage we used to, but will keep on going.

I tried Tai Chi a few years ago but wasn't my thing, however now I am older, wiser and creakier I am open to trying it again.
Walking is my thing just can't do the mileage we used to, but will keep on going.
I have enjoyed walking since my teens, but now I'm 71 I can't do anything like what I used to do
This was disappointing and I spent months sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
Then I gave myself a good talking to, along the lines of - Well, you're not actually dead yet; such is life, so see what you can do and not what you can't; though like everyone else, the Lockdown didn't help

So I've been going for walks around my immediate area.
Even though I live in a run down old mill town there are interesting bits of architecture and Victorian & Edwardian buildings; I'm exploring parts that I never bothered with before, and using the side streets, old footpaths and back lanes that all towns have
And it's not too difficult to get out into nicer countryside either by walking or a short bus ride. It's not a massive city, just a town, so I get my map out and do some homework

Search YouTube for The Bald Explorer and Richard Vobes (the same person) He shows how he finds interest and enjoyment even on short walks in towns and easy countryside
Even though I'll probably never go walking in his area he shows what can be done. And if you play around with the Search Box you'll find other people doing similar sort of walks
It's not the same as doing 4 or 5 Munros in a day, but better than staying in watching daytime TV

That's where the Tai Chi group helped me - exercise yes, but also getting me out and meeting people, and making me keep a regular appointment now I'm retired
There's a spiritual aspect to Tai Chi, about life force and that sort of thing, which you can adopt, or just ignore and use TC simply as an exercise
I was fairly dismissive at first, but now I find a bit of motivation/meditation/concentration keeps me on my diet and encourages me to get out & about.

Even though it is winter and we've had some bad weather & storms I've still been out, even if it has been walking to the supermarket and using my rucsac instead of driving - after all, I've got loads of decent hiking gear that doesn't get much use now. I expect other shoppers think I'm mad!

MODERATOR I realise this Post doesn't refer much to food, if at all, but perhaps you will allow it as I think it is relevant to the discussion.

MODERATOR I realise this Post doesn't refer much to food, if at all, but perhaps you will allow it as I think it is relevant to the discussion.

Not at all irrelevant. Exercise is as important as diet and they are related. In fact, your post has inspired me to go exploring in my town and get more exercise.

I've found these on YT though I've only watched a couple of the Manchester ones as I used to live there - like I said, play around with YouTube, there's all sorts of stuff

Short walks in Leicestershire
John Rogers London Walks
Manchester Pub Crawl - Hiking with Dave and Barbara
The London Loop

A final comment - you're supposed to actually do the walks and not just watch the videos!

Last edited:
I've just remembered, here's another idea or inspiration -

During the Lockdown a friend walked along every road, street, lane, bridleway and footpath within a 5 mile radius of his house, except for the by pass which is a dual carriageway without a footpath, and would have been too dangerous

He said it was interesting and satisfying as it required all the sort of things you'd do to bag the Wainwrights or something -
planning, estimating time, making routes, packing your drink & sandwiches, getting you out in bad weather, double checking you haven't missed anything, and all the rest of it
And the satisfaction of completing a list and a target

Apparently menopause causes weight gain, but then so does chocolate and crisps.
Doing my best to cut back.
Menopause put a good 20 pounds on my petite frame, not a good thing.
My endocrinologist recommended weight bearing exercise. I've recently started go with one of my Gal Pals to the gym. We have one in our community that is included in our homeowner dues. We found a very nice young couple that are fully trained and certified to be Personal Trainers... never thought I'd be doing this, but I do feel so much better physically, mentally and I've lost 6 pounds since January.

Firstly, well done with the weight loss!

I used to do a lot of hiking & backpacking, all year round, but as I've got older my legs ache, so not so much now

But last summer, 2021 I started doing Tai Chi, which is a martial art but not as aggressive as things like karate or judo; even so, at the end of a session I definitely felt as though I had done some exercise
It is not just aimlessly waving you arms around - there are a series of standard exercises or movements that you join up to make a sequence; both the individual exercise and the complete sequence is called a Form, that's why you sometimes hear people talking about 'doing their Form'.
Start with just a few Forms, say 4 or 6; 18 is a good standard to aim for; experts can do 24, 32, or more
At first you concentrate on doing each movement which is a bit clunky, but as you get better things become more fluid and that's when you realise - Ah, that's how it works

As you might expect, if you Search YouTube for Tai Chi there are loads of videos, but here's something for inspiration

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFUaaCwYag

I had a catch up call with the physio yesterday and I mentioned the Thai Chi, she sent me a link to an NHS video and also 1 for low impact exercise, will take a proper look later and try a bit if both, really want to avoid ending up in a wheelchair.

Weighed in at the doc’s this morning. I’m happy to say, I’ve shed the seven pounds I put on over the holidays, and another three to boot - I’m down to 177lb. I’m 5’10” (maybe closer to 5’9” - I haven’t been measured it years, and gravity being what it is…).

In August 2020, I weighed 205lbs+, and I’ve managed to stay away from that, so I’m maintaining it (for now, at least).

“Honey, where’s mah skinny jeans?”

Weighed in at the doc’s this morning. I’m happy to say, I’ve shed the seven pounds I put on over the holidays, and another three to boot - I’m down to 177lb. I’m 5’10” (maybe closer to 5’9” - I haven’t been measured it years, and gravity being what it is…).

In August 2020, I weighed 205lbs+, and I’ve managed to stay away from that, so I’m maintaining it (for now, at least).

Good job. :okay: The important thing, though, is do you feel better?

CD

:highfive:

Good job. :okay: The important thing, though, is do you feel better?

CD
Thanks.

The truth is, and I hesitate saying this, but no, I feel pretty much the same.

It was the same way in 2001-2002, when I lost 80lbs - I felt kind of cheated because my knees didn’t stop hurting and my back still bothered me. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom