I'm Watching What I Eat (2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is!

There's a lot of research that says the bacteria in our gut send signals to the brain that cause us to crave one food type over another. So if your gut microbiome is attuned to eating simple carbs, you get a feedback loop for junk foods. Maybe it's deflecting responsibility away from the individual, but anecdotally I've had experiences like this. Keeping a healthy microbiome is one of the reasons I like making my own yogurt and kimchi and eat natto and fresh miso regularly.
It's mostly hormones that control hunger and in the gut it's ghrelin which basically sends signals to the hypothalamus and as the stomach empties ghrelin increases and when the stomach fills up ghrelin decreases and works in conjunction with a couple of peptides. Leptin is the other hormone that effects our eating and leptin regulates glucose and lipid metabolism in peripheral tissues and inflammation and excess weight does create something called leptin resistance. It's a big deal in obesity research.

Back to the microbiome. Yeah fermented food increases the diversity of our gut microbiome and could help with lowering inflammation as well. Our microbiome is different than anyone else microbiome based on what bacteria we've been exposed to from the minute we are born, who else came into contact during birth, whether we were breast fed or not, if we had pets as infants, what types of foods we ate and so on and it's those first few years that defines our basic health of our microbiome. Where we live either in a rural or urban environment, do we live in Iceland, Australia, NY City or we're small tribes living in Sub Saharan Africa all effect our microbiome and it's difficult to say what a healthy microbiome actually is. We have what 100 trillion microbiota associated with our body with most in our colon with hundreds, even up to a thousand different species. Our immune system mostly resides in our gut, i find that fascinating. Research where they do longitudinal studies monitoring human dietary interventions and see what happens with biomarkers and improved health outcomes as it pertains to gut biome and what might be considered a healthy microbiome and even then healthy for who is still a really important question. interesting stuff.

EDIT TO ADD: What's crazy is that we have many microbiomes in and on our body. In our mouth, on our skin, in our ears and of course all the way down and through our digestive tract to our colon. Also different species of microbiota reside in different places throughout our digestive track starting in our mouth, that don't travel, that only thrive in that one place and is controlled by our PH in our digestive tract. Cheers

Last edited:
You might like this video. It's interesting and, if the information is accurate, adds another dimension to what you're saying.

How Bacteria Rule Over Your Body – The Microbiome

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPD009qTN4
Yeah, nice intro video and have seen that one before. It's a fascinating area of nutrition. As we change our diet we change our microbiome , when we change our environment we change our microbiome, everything we do has an effect on our gut microbiome which will influence our hormones and especially our immune system. If you get a chance give Dr. Justin Sonnenburg who is a professor of Microbiology & Immunology at Stanford University. This video is a couple of hours long but it's informative.

Another influence on eating is the feedback loop from our amygdala region in the brain, basically our mammalian evolutionally hedonistic pleasure center that influences many aspects of our life. One consequence is that ‘liking’ expressions elicited by a given taste are appropriately modulated physiologically by relevant appetite versus satiety states. Sweet or a pleasurable event involves dopamine for example where bitter elicits a fight or flight expression in the brain. The brain and body synergy question has basically been ignored in the medical community and is getting more traction and the understanding that for perfect health (better health) that they need to be treated together.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCWNRvPk20&t=6633s

Last edited:
So from +87kg (+192lb) I'm down to 62.9kg (138½lb) over a period of 4 years and returning to the wheelchair plus another major surgery.
The aim is 55kg (121lb). I'm 167cm or 5'5½".

My last weigh in came in at 62.1kg. That's about 0.2kg a week which for late autumn heading into a cold start to winter, is fine.

I lost 10 kg total since last year, and 4 in the past two months.. I guess the antibiotics have an upside.. :laugh: not sure it's very healthy weight loss this way though. The antibiotics might become permanent too, so I hope they won't interfere with my nutrient absorbtion too much. I still have to take them for 2 months, so I guess that's good news for my weight loss goals als I am losing 2 lbs a week without much extra effort.

I lost 10 kg total since last year, and 4 in the past two months.. I guess the antibiotics have an upside.. :laugh: not sure it's very healthy weight loss this way though. The antibiotics might become permanent too, so I hope they won't interfere with my nutrient absorbtion too much. I still have to take them for 2 months, so I guess that's good news for my weight loss goals als I am losing 2 lbs a week without much extra effort.
Antibiotics for any reason is a scary thought let alone permanently. Take care.

Keep an eye on your skin. I often get fungal infections on my skin (particularly my neck and shoulders) when I'm on antibiotics for more than a week. It all started in my early 20's when I need 10 weeks of ABs to clear a chest infection. The skin will start to pucker and peel off under your fingernails at the slightest normal scratch or itch. Best to catch it early than let it get a hold as it did with me. Antifungal treatments for extended periods of time are not good for the liver amongst other issues.

Keep an eye on your skin. I often get fungal infections on my skin (particularly my neck and shoulders) when I'm on antibiotics for more than a week. It all started in my early 20's when I need 10 weeks of ABs to clear a chest infection. The skin will start to pucker and peel off under your fingernails at the slightest normal scratch or itch. Best to catch it early than let it get a hold as it did with me. Antifungal treatments for extended periods of time are not good for the liver amongst other issues.
I take these antibiotics for a skin condition , good to know though! Thanks for the tip.

Antibiotics for any reason is a scary thought let alone permanently. Take care.
I hope it won't be permanent, but there's apparently no other solution. I'm getting it because I've had a skin condition for 20 years that's getting worse and worse and apparently there's no other cure. If it cures the condition we stop until it comes back again, but my current flare is so serious that my doctor thinks I need it for at least two months, if not more.

I’ve been on doxycycline as a maintenance med for years and years (rosacea), slowly cutting it back from 400mg a day at the beginning, down to 100mg a week most recently.

I figured 100mg a week couldn’t be doing much one way or the other so I stopped it at the beginning of the year completely. We’ll see what the dermatologist says when I have my yearly follow-up this month.

I hope it won't be permanent, but there's apparently no other solution. I'm getting it because I've had a skin condition for 20 years that's getting worse and worse and apparently there's no other cure. If it cures the condition we stop until it comes back again, but my current flare is so serious that my doctor thinks I need it for at least two months, if not more.
Of course I have no idea what is causing your particular skin condition but for many it's inflammation in one form or an other and antibiotics actually increase inflammation, a lot. Reminds me of the ADA telling people to eat ice cream and lots of fruit in a balanced diet, when it's the sugar that is a major contributor to the resistance to insulin. Kind of like saying in a traffic jam we need more traffic.

Anyway, I've been curious lately about the increase in Doctors prescribing very drastic elimination diets for autoimmune diseases like psoriasis, diabetes, arthritis et al and putting people on an all meat or carnivore diet under their supervision for short term to see how they react on a hormonal level and the results are pretty much amazing from what I can see.

Meat for the most part can be tolerated by the vast majority of the human population. While at the same evolutionary time frame many plant foods have devised defense mechanisms to stop predation in a survival attempt and generally that has been successful. Without getting into detail the carnivore diet eliminates all plant food that has resulted in some amazing n:1 results. Another factor attributing to less inflammation is the replacement of seed oil with animal fats where the omega balance within the body is considered ideal as opposed to the high ratio's that exist now in the general population. I personally couldn't go carnivore that's for sure but I don't have any reason to try it but if I did I would seek out a clinic that deals in these holistic influenced interventions.

On a personal note, I do low carb generally speaking and I do have some inflammation in my knees, my right hip and my left baby finger, not bad but it does flare up periodically and it's always when I go off low carb and pig out on my beloved foods of pasta and bread. It's then that I get motivated and go back low carb and that's generally under 75g's a day and my arthritic flare ups disappear completely, strange but true. Just mentioning this because most people that generally resort to these types of off the wall interventions have gotten no help from the general medical community and have basically tried everything, and this is just another everything.

There are no decent studies on the carnivore diet that I've come across and main stream media, the food manufacturers, and gov't have been telling people for just about 50 years that meat is bad and you will die so it's been impossible for any scientist to get any funding for any types of random control trials but Harvard just did the first paper on it, and it has limitation but is interesting.

Behavioral Characteristics and Self-Reported Health Status among 2029 Adults Consuming a “Carnivore Diet”

Last edited:
I’m trying to get my uric acid levels down so I am limiting meat right now. I hope to get
It down so I can introduce more again. Right now, it’s just chicken and a bit of white fish. Fatty pork seems to agrivate things. So much for carbonara..

I’m trying to get my uric acid levels down so I am limiting meat right now. I hope to get
It down so I can introduce more again. Right now, it’s just chicken and a bit of white fish. Fatty pork seems to agrivate things. So much for carbonara..
Might be of interest.

Serum Uric Acid Concentrations in Meat Eaters, Fish Eaters, Vegetarians and Vegans: A Cross-Sectional Analysis in the EPIC-Oxford Cohort

Conclusion​

Individuals consuming a vegan diet had the highest serum concentrations of uric acid compared to meat eaters, fish eaters and vegetarians, especially in men. Vegetarians and individuals who eat fish but not meat had the lowest concentrations of serum uric acid.

The problem I have with studies like this, which is pretty much how almost all nutritional studies are conducted and that's through epidemiological evaluation based on FFQ's (food frequency questionnaire) for the assessment of diet and lifestyle with confounders to be adjusted. Lots of problems in this system but that's what we have to work with simply because you can't take quadruplets, one for each lifestyle, control for every factor in their lives, control what they eat, then follow for decades to find out any differences. Random controlled trials are better but ridiculously expensive and generally done for short time frames. Anyway I thought this was interesting nevertheless and what is used as evidence by everyone including the ADA, USDA, WHO, and every gov't on the planet and the reason why nutrition is so confusing simply because most of the numbers from FFQ's are made up and cofounders are independently adjusted based on who know what....anyway, cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom