Recipe Indonesian grilled coconut chicken

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:35 AM
Indonesian coconut chicken (Ayam panggang)
2020-02-25-18-19-53-jpg.jpg

We REALLY liked this. It is a good bit of work with all the ingredients, but it's worth it, especially if you make enough for more than 1 meal for 2 or enough for a crowd. I looked through a bunch of recipes and came up with my own version.

Ingredients

8 shallots OR 1/2 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
3 to 4 red or green bird chilies, use according to your taste, coarsely chopped
3 Fresno chili peppers, coarsely chopped
4 Tbsp peanut oil
2 stalks lemongrass cut into 2 inch long pieces
8 whole kaffir lime leaves OR zest of 2 limes
6 macadamia nuts or scant 1/4 cup slivered/sliced almonds
2 tsp turmeric
3 ½ teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh lemon or Thai basil, can use just regular basil as a substitute
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 whole chicken cut up or 8 thighs
2 Tbsp kecap manis (recipe below)

To serve
Jasmine or Basmati rice
Sambal kecap (recipe below)
Javanese salad (recipe below)
Maybe a cooked bean sprout/shallot or sweet onion salad

Directions

Place the shallots or sweet onions, garlic, bird chiliis, Fresno chilis, macadamia nuts, turmeric, and ginger in a small food processor. Pulse until you have a smooth paste.

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven type pan over medium-low heat. Add the paste to the oil, it should sizzle. Sauté stirring constantly until the shallots/onions and garlic no longer smell raw and the paste begins to separate from the oil, Sauté for about 5 minutes. Then, add the lemongrass pieces, kaffir lime leaves or zest, & basil. Sauté some more for 3 minutes until the lemony aroma arises.

Add the coconut milk, lime juice and salt and stir well to combine with the flavoring paste. Raise the heat to medium and let the coconut milk mixture come to a steady, gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Taste the broth. It should be spicy and rich.

While the broth is simmering, prepare the chicken and remove excess fat.

Add the chicken to the coconut milk broth and cook in a steady, gentle simmer. Adjust heat as necessary. Stir every 5-10 minutes to prevent from burning and until the chicken is mostly cooked for about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken to a platter. Remove about 1/4 cup of the broth to a small bowl and add 1-2 Tbsp of kecap manis, stir to combine.

Grill the chicken on a charcoal or gas grill, basting with the kecap manis/coconut broth mixture until finished cooking and nicely browned.

Meanwhile, continue to cook the broth mixture until you have a thick sauce. Strain out the solids.

Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice drizzled with the coconut broth, Javanese salad, and sambal kecap for drizzling rice and/or chicken. You can also drizzle some of the broth over the chicken for serving. A cooked bean sprout/shallot or sweet onion salad would be good as well.

Kecap manis

1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari (I like Pearl River Bridge brand)
5/8 cup palm/coconut sugar (you can substitute brown sugar)
1/2 tablespoon molasses
1-1/2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
1 whole star anise
1 whole clove

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes so it doesn't scorch. Turn the heat off, cover, and let cool completely. Strain the solids out and place into an airtight container. Store in refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.

Sambal kecap

All but 2 Tbsp of the kecap manis above
1-1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
5 bird chilis, sliced very thinly
2 keffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced crosswise or zest of 1/2 lime
1-1/2 Tbsp shallots or sweet onion, chopped fine

Stir together all ingredients in an airtight container and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Javanese salad

1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 large carrot, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″ wide sticks
2 shallots, thinly sliced OR 1/4 cup sweet onion or red onion, thinly sliced
1 cucumbers, cleaned of seeds, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″-wide sticks
1-3/4 Tbsp sugar
1-3/4 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 green or red bird chilis, very thinly sliced

Bring 1-1/2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan, add the salt. Add the carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add cucumbers and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain. Return to pot and add remainder of ingredients, mix to combine and let sit for at least 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 38482

We REALLY liked this. It is a good bit of work with all the ingredients, but it's worth it, especially if you make enough for more than 1 meal for 2 or enough for a crowd. I looked through a bunch of recipes and came up with my own version.

Ingredients

3 to 4 red Thai chilies, use according to your taste, coarsely chopped
3 Fresno chili peppers
4 Tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh lemon or Thai basil, can use just regular basil as a substitute
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice

To serve
Jasmine or Basmati rice

Directions

Place the shallots or sweet onions, garlic, bird chiliis, Fresno chilis, macadamia nuts, turmeric, and ginger in a small food processor. Pulse until you have a smooth paste.

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven type pan over medium-low heat. Add the paste to the oil, it should sizzle. Sauté stirring constantly until the shallots/onions and garlic no longer smell raw and the paste begins to separate from the oil, Sauté for about 5 minutes. Then, add the lemongrass pieces, kaffir lime leaves or zest, & basil. Sauté some more for 3 minutes until the lemony aroma arises.

Add the coconut milk and salt and stir well to combine with the flavoring paste. Raise the heat to medium and let the coconut milk mixture come to a steady, gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Taste the broth. It should be spicy and rich.

Add the chicken to the coconut milk broth and cook in a steady, gentle simmer. Adjust heat as necessary. Stir every 5-10 minutes to prevent from burning and until the chicken is mostly cooked for about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken to a platter. Remove about 1/4 cup of the broth to a small bowl and add 1-2 Tbsp of kecap manis, stir to combine.

Grill the chicken on a charcoal or gas grill, basting with the kecap manis/coconut broth mixture until finished cooking and nicely browned.

Meanwhile, continue to cook the broth mixture until you have a thick sauce. Strain out the solids.

Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice drizzled with the coconut broth, Javanese salad, and sambal kecap for drizzling rice and/or chicken. You can also drizzle some of the broth over the chicken for serving. A cooked bean sprout/shallot or sweet onion salad would be good as well.

Kecap manis

1/2 tablespoon molasses
1 whole star anise
1 whole clove

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes so it doesn't scorch. Turn the heat off, cover, and let cool completely. Strain the solids out and place into an airtight container. Store in refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.

Sambal kecap

Stir together all ingredients in an airtight container and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Javanese salad

1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 cucumbers, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″-wide sticks
1-3/4 Tbsp sugar
1-3/4 Tbsp rice vinegar

Bring 1-1/2 cups of water to boil in a small saucepan, add the salt. Add the carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add cucumbers and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain. Return to pot and add remainder of ingredients, mix to combine and let sit for at least 15 minutes.

I know you will say it's easy but, it's too many things for me, I guess I'm just lazy, I don't like too many ingredients. It's a guy thing I think. Sometimes I wish my wife could cook something like you have done. She can do complicated things I lose interest in. Just me but, I would love to really try that dish. It looks so good and I have most of the stuff to,make it. Drat!!

Russ

I know you will say it's easy but, it's too many things for me, I guess I'm just lazy, I don't like too many ingredients. It's a guy thing I think. Sometimes I wish my wife could cook something like you have done. She can do complicated things I lose interest in. Just me but, I would love to really try that dish. It looks so good and I have most of the stuff to,make it. Drat!!

Russ

It was easy, just time consuming, though that could be broken up by making kecap manis a day or 2 ahead, or even buying it. For that matter, the chicken part can be cooked ahead, cooled, refrigerated, then rewarmed and grilled a day or 2 later.

No, it's not a guy thing, it's a person thing. The muffin tin chicken thighs Craig makes are WAY, WAY more work and time consuming than this.

It was easy, just time consuming, though that could be broken up by making kecap manis a day or 2 ahead, or even buying it. For that matter, the chicken part can be cooked ahead, cooled, refrigerated, then rewarmed and grilled a day or 2 later.

No, it's not a guy thing, it's a person thing. The muffin tin chicken thighs Craig makes are WAY, WAY more work and time consuming than this.
Calling CraigC recipe for thighs please?

Russ

View attachment 38482

Ingredients

3 to 4 red or green bird chilies, use according to your taste, coarsely chopped
3 Fresno chili peppers, coarsely chopped
4 Tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice

To serve
Jasmine or Basmati rice

Directions

Add the coconut milk and salt and stir well to combine with the flavoring paste. Raise the heat to medium and let the coconut milk mixture come to a steady, gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Taste the broth. It should be spicy and rich.

Kecap manis

1/2 tablespoon molasses
1 whole star anise
1 whole clove

Sambal kecap

Javanese salad

1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 cucumbers, cut into 2″-long x 1/4″-wide sticks
1-3/4 Tbsp sugar
1-3/4 Tbsp rice vinegar

Wow!! Lots of ingredients!!

I love the look of this dish, very pretty to look at with the colours and I think it would taste fabulous. My husband likes food from this region so I may just make it for him as a surprise. Looking through the ingredients I do not think I would struggle to find anything.
Thank you for sharing
Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom