Infused water

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:55 AM
Does anyone make their own infused water? I know a couple of members make their own sparkling waters, but does anyone use flavoured infusions? Flavoured water seems quite popular, but last week I spotted a bottle of rosemary infused water in a supermarket - for £2.50! A couple of weeks earlier I had bought, at a reduced price, a pack of cold water infusion bags (watermelon, strawberry and mint flavoured) made by Twinings, the tea company. I have used them in my own home-made sparkling water, and whilst they are pleasant enough I wouldn't pay the full price of £3.50 for 12 bags. By way of experiment this morning, I grabbed a sprig of rosemary from the garden, stuffed it into a bottle of just-made fizzy water, then popped it into the fridge. Will see what happens later!

Sodastream has many "syrups" for use in their product. We've tried a few of them and personally the only thing that was ok , was the tonic water.

I've infused water with slices of lemon and lime, though not at the same time. I've found that I've had to use practically two whole lemons for the slices to get the flavour, and no amount of limes would make a dent in the water.

Sodastream has many "syrups" for use in their product. We've tried a few of them and personally the only thing that was ok , was the tonic water.
I use a sodastream for making the sparkling water but never use any of their additives. I was thinking along the lines of natural infusions - fruit or herbs.

I've infused water with slices of lemon and lime, though not at the same time. I've found that I've had to use practically two whole lemons for the slices to get the flavour, and no amount of limes would make a dent in the water.
I wonder if you would need to juice the fruit as opposed to just infuse with it?

I tried the rosemary infused water last night. It wasn't bad but I think it would have been better with the addition of a little bicarb of soda. By this morning it was too strong. The experiment continues...

Thin slices of cucumber, lemon and mint is pretty. Spa water. Ginger might be interesting.

I wonder if you would need to juice the fruit as opposed to just infuse with it?
I've never thought of that. I tried putting pieces of fruit into the cylindrical thingy from inside the bottle, and there was virtually no taste at all, so I took the cylinder out and sliced the fruit instead, experimenting after several tries.

It's a sort of cylinder with holes or slots that allow the fruit to infuse with the water. It can be removable.

Oh OK - I guess you have a water infuser bottle then - this sort of thing?:

51PJCqJu2kL.jpg

. It wasn't bad but I think it would have been better with the addition of a little bicarb of soda
What's the bicarb of soda do? Hubby bought a sodastream this summer because I was totally feed up with the number of bottles of fizzy water he was being through .we actually couldn't store all the recycling in 2 x 60l black bins for 2 of us for 2 weeks even with the bottles compressed.

I drink a lot of the diet fizzy lemon lime soda. I should cut down.

I want to find some finger limes ("lime caviar"), if they are in season here, and try them in water or in ice cubes, etc. (They have been stuck in my head again recently when I saw them paired with Halibut at a Japanese restaurant.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom