Insulin & Diabetes.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:15 PM
While on vacation in Washington, DC, I found out that my glucose level was over 500 mg/pd! I must admit though, that I haven't check the glucose level since February. The batteries in the meter were low, so I went to the nearest store to get some. When I replaced the old ones and did a check on the level, that is when the
was so high.

I also mismanaged the Metformin doses as well, thinking that I had it right! After checking the glucose levels multiple times, when I got to Philly, I went over to the Pennsylvania Hospital to get checked out. But it was just a tease! They lowered the level with sodium fluids through IV, and gave me one shot of insulin, but when it got down to about 250, they released me.

In the meantime, I drank so much water. I had an astronomical thirst for water like you would not believe! But still, it was not helping to bring the levels down! I couldn't eat right because I was drinking so much water and it was making me full. And it mas making me urinate so much during the day and a night!

But still, I kept on getting high readings, so several days after returning home, I realized that the levels were never going back to safer ones. Went to a clinic, and when they saw how dangerously high the glucose levels were, they had me sent over by ambulance to my hospital's emergency room. After having been there the first few hours, they told me that my blood sugar level was over 800 mg/pd!!! That was enough! I could've stroked out, gone into a coma and possibly died!!!

They keep me for two nights and worked on getting the levels down. Yesterday, before they released me, I had insulin to take home with me. I must now check my glucose level, give myself injections according to what the level is, take my meds and eat a meal. I cannot skip or play around with this!! This is now serious stuff!

So if any of you have diabetes, please keep track of your blood sugar levels, and take your insulin shots if you are on insulin. It could help save you life!! :ohmy::eek:

Last edited:
That's scary stuff @Shermie. I'm glad to hear that you have got it sorted out. My wife has Type 1 Diabetes and takes daily insulin injections. Apart from avoiding sweet things she can lead a totally normal lifestyle. Stick to the programme and I'm sure you will be fine :happy:

That's scary stuff @Shermie. I'm glad to hear that you have got it sorted out. My wife has Type 1 Diabetes and takes daily insulin injections. Apart from avoiding sweet things she can lead a totally normal lifestyle. Stick to the programme and I'm sure you will be fine :happy:

Thanks.

I will, I have to & I must! This could be the last ride. If I screw this up, I could again put myself in dire straights!! This disease has crippled lots of people!! :ohmy::headshake::stop:

Wow @Shermie - that sounds pretty scary, but glad you got it sorted out. Good luck with keeping on top of it too, I know how hard work it can be. My sister has been diabetic for years and it's the one area of her life she takes deadly seriously and doesn't play around with, but she's had odd occasions where she's been caught out or circumstances have conspired to make sure she doesn't get the food / sugar she needs and it has been pretty bad and taken her weeks to recover from.

Take care Shermie and look after yourself man. I don't know you, but you come across from your writing as a real nice guy and we need to support nice people like you and keep them around for as long as we can. :happy:

Sherrmie! I could slap you! that is way too scary! You need to take Better Care of your self! Dang it! you really need to balance your meals out now! look for pasta alternatives. there are many out there (Not Gluten free, that's rice) but edamame pasta, (costco sells sometimes) is good, zoodles, (if you don't already have a spiralizer you should look into getting one) carrot, zucchini, squash, jicama, dikon, broccoli stems, etc.. make great alternatives. also watch the fats you're eating that will also raise that sugar!

Wow @Shermie - that sounds pretty scary, but glad you got it sorted out. Good luck with keeping on top of it too, I know how hard work it can be. My sister has been diabetic for years and it's the one area of her life she takes deadly seriously and doesn't play around with, but she's had odd occasions where she's been caught out or circumstances have conspired to make sure she doesn't get the food / sugar she needs and it has been pretty bad and taken her weeks to recover from.

Take care Shermie and look after yourself man. I don't know you, but you come across from your writing as a real nice guy and we need to support nice people like you and keep them around for as long as we can. :happy:

Thanks.

Three of my brothers has it, and one, I think, might be on his way. mainly because he drinks everyday and gets drunk at last once a week. I talked to him a bit, but he keeps on saying that he's not diabetic. If I push too hard, he'll get mad, so I'm gonna have to let him find out for himself. He's in denial and thinks that he might not get it! :headshake::stop:

Thanks.

Three of my brothers has it, and one, I think, might be on his way. mainly because he drinks everyday and gets drunk at last once a week. I talked to him a bit, but he keeps on saying that he's not diabetic. If I push too hard, he'll get mad, so I'm gonna have to let him find out for himself. He's in denial and thinks that he might not get it! :headshake::stop:

That's too bad! my husband has had it for 16 or 17 years. it is rampant in his family and seems to be spreading. he has it, two of his sisters have it, his sister in law has it on her side of the family her brother, sister and now she has been diagnosed. so we try all the time to keep things filling, fun, flavorful and low carb. sometimes we are bad but we try hard.

LuckilyI don't have it anywhere on my side of the family but it doesn't hurt me to stay away from the extras either. I did drop some weight at first from leaving off the extra (now we eat some but much less) potatoes, pastas, and rices. I truly try to stay to half a cup serving size. Not easy sometimes but it is what it is. A Filler! lean meat and good veggies. help a lot. I try to eat the veggie first, or at lear mostly. then I go for the meat and only nibble on the filler.

Hey, this is the spaghetti I was talking about. Now if you can find it at your local Costco you can get the box for 10. dollars. and it's pretty darned good!

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Edam...&qid=1466011107&sr=8-1&keywords=edamame+pasta

Thanks.

I will, I have to & I must! This could be the last ride. If I screw this up, I could again put myself in dire straights!! This disease has crippled lots of people!! :ohmy::headshake::stop:
It's not a disease, never let anyone tell you that. Even if they're medically trained. And never let anyone put you down/knock you down because you suffer with/from it, including yourself. There's ways and means of working round it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's part of the body not working the way it should. Seldom would you have had any chance of preventing it.

Last edited:
Sherrmie! I could slap you! that is way too scary! You need to take Better Care of your self! Dang it! you really need to balance your meals out now! look for pasta alternatives. there are many out there (Not Gluten free, that's rice) but edamame pasta, (costco sells sometimes) is good, zoodles, (if you don't already have a spiralizer you should look into getting one) carrot, zucchini, squash, jicama, dikon, broccoli stems, etc.. make great alternatives. also watch the fats you're eating that will also raise that sugar!

Don't slap me.

We ALL make some mistakes in life. No one that I know lives in a truly perfect world. We are only human.

Life itself is a definite challenge. We take it one step at a time. We sometimes think that we are living a care-free life & we learn from our mistakes. If a little boy on the beach came up to you & threw sand in your face after convincing you to play a game with him, would you let him do it to you again? I think not. You'd be aware of it the 2nd time around & take evasive action to stop him from doing it again.

This is pretty much the same thing with life. It's a gamble. I was abusing myself and didn't really know that I was. Yeah, it was a wake-up call, but I saw it and caught it in time before any serious damage was done. I've since begun to realize the errors of my ways, and I'm trying to do better by cutting down on a lot of things. Instead of sugar, I use Splender or Equal to sweeten cereal & coffee. I've always drank diet soda and continue to do so. I've cut back on meal portions and I'm eating smaller amounts. No, I can't eliminate starchy foods because the insulin needs to eat some of it to keep the glucose level from getting too high. At the same time, it needs to keep things running good without robbing whatever amount is left, or otherwise I'd go into a HYPOglycemic attack. I've also seriously cut back on drinking alcoholic beverages. Only had one beer tonight instead of the usual 4 or 5. No liquor, as opposed to the usual 3 or 4 shots at night. Most of the time, it is water, 1% milk or diet soda.

It is very complex and it has you stuck between a rock and a hard place. :(:headshake::stop:

Last edited:
I suspect the hardest thing to come to terms with after being diagnosed as diabetic is the lifestyle changes that you inevitably have to make.

Going from complete freedom of choice where food and drink are concerned, to having to watch, manage, monitor, reduce, change and even go without things you've always enjoyed must be hard, and challenging.

Good luck with it Shermie and I hope you manage to come to terms with it and get it all under control. :okay:

@Shermie, be honest with yourself on this part.
Was it actually anything you did or didn't do, that caused the problem you have now?
I'll take the stance that there was nothing you did/didn't do.

@Shaun said it first, and that is the hardest part will be accepting the changes you now have to make. The medication side will soon become routine.

Thanks.

Sometimes people don't want to hear it. Even the people we love - hell, sometimes they are the worst for taking advice. Let him do his thing and look after yourself first. If he's gonna need your support sometime soon then you need to look after #1 so you can be there for him.

the slap (figuratively) to say dang it I care as a friend! Please take better care of yourself. I have a friend that gets frequently kidney infections and refuses to keep things clean if you get my drift. she has ended up in the hospital twice in the past 2 years with Staph infections. (Not to say you are heading down that path) I just see it too much.

You are correct though it is difficult to figure out and get the meds straight for YOU each is so much different. Sounds like you are on the right path though. even without the insulin you would need a certain amount of carbs. the body just needs them to balance everything out. we sometimes will replace our potatoes (not mashed cauliflower) but with sauteed cauliflower with salt and pepper. SO good! and have at least one other veggie or even two. it takes a while but you will get used to lesser carbs, and feel better for it. I do have some really good low carb recipes if you would I could post a few for ya. Just for something new I am sure you have quite a few of your own.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm told by my doctor that if I lose more weight, then the diabetes could go away. Even then, things will still have to be maintained to keep it from coming back if I do. About the worst thing that I can do is to ignore everything! Then it may be too late to save myself from whatever worst thing that would come later. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom