Irish cheese

Duck59

Guru
Local time
2:57 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Being a good (second-generation) Irishman, I feel I should blow the trumpet a little for Irish cheese in general and cheese from County Cork in particular.

A personal favourite is Durrus from West Cork. This has wonderful depth of flavour and would be my choice if only allowed a solitary cheese. Not far behind come Ardrahan, Milleens and Gubbeen (all of these are from cows' milk). There are around fifty cheese producers in Cork, with cow, sheep and goat cheese available.

A tip for those visiting Cork: try the English market in Cork city, where you can get all sorts of cheese, not to mention a bewildering array of olives.

Blue cashel -it's was a favorite on cheese boards a while back , when I went to cashel a bird messed on me and a week latter I found out my wife was expecting so cashel holds lucky memories

I really enjoy a good Dublinger cheese, especially on a turkey sandwich. I was turned onto the cheese a couple of years ago and almost always have some slices in my refrigerator now.

Another Irish softer cheese I tried Durrus,felt it was a french style,but was a great discovery

That just sounds odd - look for Irish cheese in an English market !
Like making Cheddar cheese any where other than Cheddar,a true cheddar cheese is a thing of beauty ,not the blocks as we see in the supermarkets but still holds its name of Cheddar......sorry it's just my pet hate
:ninja:

That just sounds odd - look for Irish cheese in an English market !

The name came about when there were two markets in Cork. The other one was St Peter's Market; this was known as the Irish Market and the other one as the English Market. The English Market is perhaps the best-known market in Ireland. It's almost impossible to go there without buying something.

Like making Cheddar cheese any where other than Cheddar,a true cheddar cheese is a thing of beauty ,not the blocks as we see in the supermarkets but still holds its name of Cheddar......sorry it's just my pet hate
:ninja:

I would really love to try some authentic cheddar cheese, I am sure it would taste much better than the blocks. I find the block cheese to be a little rubbery. Is authentic cheddar really hard and a sharp sort of cheese?

I would really love to try some authentic cheddar cheese, I am sure it would taste much better than the blocks. I find the block cheese to be a little rubbery. Is authentic cheddar really hard and a sharp sort of cheese?
Proper cheddar is great ,it's quite firm and comes in a truckle,a barrel shape,wrapped in muslin,the small ones they would seal in hot oil to preserve it,they used to store them in the caves in the cheddar gorge

The name came about when there were two markets in Cork. The other one was St Peter's Market; this was known as the Irish Market and the other one as the English Market. The English Market is perhaps the best-known market in Ireland. It's almost impossible to go there without buying something.
You're not trying hard enough!

Back
Top Bottom