Local time
12:53 AM
Barm Brack.jpg

Ingredients
1½ cups (12 fl oz/330ml) Cold strong tea
2 cups (9oz/270g) Plain or all purpose flour
½ cup (4oz/80g) Soft brown sugar
3 cups (1lb/350g) Mixed raisins & sultanas
½ teaspoon (1 level teaspoon) Bread soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
½ teaspoon (1 level teaspoon) Mixed Spice or allspice
1 teaspoon (1 heaped teaspoon) Grated lemon rind (optional)
1 egg
The lemon rind is not added by everyone, but you might like the slight tanginess it gives.

Method
  • Put the tea, sugar, lemon rind and dried fruit in a bowl. Stir well, then cover and leave to soak overnight.
  • The next day, preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC/Gas Mark 4) and grease the loaf tin with a little butter. Beat the egg and mix it thoroughly with the fruit. Sieve the flour, spices and bread soda together and stir well into the fruit mixture.
  • You can mix in any of the charms you are using at this point, or wait until the batter is in the tin and push them in then. The latter method ensures they are ‘fairly’ distributed, especially important if children will be eating the brack!
  • Turn the batter into the tin, place in the oven and bake for 90 minutes. Allow the brack to cool for about 20 minutes in the tin before turning it out to cool on a wire rack.
Important
Don’t give in to the temptation to eat until completely cool (you will be tempted!).​

You will need a 2lb loaf tin or a deep 7″ round tin. You can make it as a loaf, but the round version is the more traditional.

Traditionally small items are mixed into the brack before it is baked, each with a message or prediction for the person who gets it in a slice. The items always include a ring, which predicts a wedding within the year, but any or all of the following are sometimes included.

A coin for wealth
A small piece of cloth for poverty
A pea for plenty
A thimble for a spinster
A button for a bachelor
A matchstick to beat your husband/wife (perhaps leave that one out, not sure it sends a good message!)

Note
If you are using any of these items, wrap them well in greaseproof or waxed paper before adding them to the mix.

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/food-recipes/irish-tea-brack/

Last edited:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
A matchstick to beat your husband/wife (perhaps leave that one out, not sure it sends a good message!)
That's the highlight of this recipe. And if could be serious for a moment, the recipe sounds like it could be quite flavourful.
Also, I'd be happy to stumble on maybe the pea for plenty...maybe.

That's the highlight of this recipe. And if could be serious for a moment, the recipe sounds like it could be quite flavourful.
Someone burst the bubbles in your cuppa!!

Nice when made right. I've yet to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom