Iron in the diet

My iron level has been great since I got my colon removed. I used to be so anemic I needed IV iron to get better almost every 3 months. I now don't need to watch it as much, though being vegan would be a-ok for me as I can't absorb iron from plant based sources and the supplements cause constipation which could be fatal for me. So I eat meat or fish 5 days a week and get checked regularly, last time my iron level was a 9 which is about the highest it can go within the healthy range so I am good. I've had it at 3.1 once too, so this is major improvement.

Almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts are an excellent source of iron and are on my daily agenda. Some time ago I used to take iron tablets which caused me a lot of gastric problems and not only that, they made me faint because of the terrible headaches they gave me. Of course I stopped and what I'm taking now is a bit milder.

I'm still losing a lot of hair, although luckily I have a lot of it. It's just a bit boring and embarrassing when the hairdresser hands me her hand full of my hair and asks me 'is everything OK?
Oh dear, yes, have you seen how much hair I have to compensate? I could sell it!

Almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts are an excellent source of iron and are on my daily agenda. Some time ago I used to take iron tablets which caused me a lot of gastric problems and not only that, they made me faint because of the terrible headaches they gave me. Of course I stopped and what I'm taking now is a bit milder.

I'm still losing a lot of hair, although luckily I have a lot of it. It's just a bit boring and embarrassing when the hairdresser hands me her hand full of my hair and asks me 'is everything OK?
Oh dear, yes, have you seen how much hair I have to compensate? I could sell it!
Yeah I can't take iron tablets either for the same reason on top of the constipation. And the nuts don't digest well enough to absorb them for me, so I really need meat & fish for the base level of iron maintenance.

Sorry to hear you're losing your hair, has anyone ever checked if no other condition is causing your iron problems?

Yeah I can't take iron tablets either for the same reason on top of the constipation. And the nuts don't digest well enough to absorb them for me, so I really need meat & fish for the base level of iron maintenance.

Sorry to hear you're losing your hair, has anyone ever checked if no other condition is causing your iron problems?

Yes, meat and fish are more than perfect, I have to eat them too for my base level iron level :highfive:

My hair loss is only worrying for those who have it in their hands like the hairdresser, but it's not a so serious condition luckily, because I really have a lot of it to compensate for the ones gone, there are no signs of anything worrying. It's funny how I have long, strong hair and at the same time I lose a lot of it when I wash it or when I lean on the pillow.
' It's just a matter of bad iron absorption, worry not', is what doctor tell me 🤷‍♀️

Apart from:

Kiwi
Dried fruit
Dark chocolate
Avocado
Lentils
Chickpeas
Potatoes
Chicken legs
Bresaola
Liver
Clams
Cuttlefish
Shrimps

that contain iron, I've also found out that oat contains a lot of it
Oh ok that makes my list longer, I wasn't that informed apparently. I can eat potatoes, avocado, dark chocolate, kiwi, oatmeal and hummus (not whole chickpeas). I eat all of them frequently too. I guess that combined with the meat (also liver), fish and frequent chicken consumption I do that my very healthy iron levels are explained.

Yes, meat and fish are more than perfect, I have to eat them too for my base level iron level :highfive:

My hair loss is only worrying for those who have it in their hands like the hairdresser, but it's not a so serious condition luckily, because I really have a lot of it to compensate for the ones gone, there are no signs of anything worrying. It's funny how I have long, strong hair and at the same time I lose a lot of it when I wash it or when I lean on the pillow.
' It's just a matter of bad iron absorption, worry not', is what doctor tell me 🤷‍♀️
I know that B vitamins are very good for hair loss. I imagine you get enough of that with your varied diet. In the US flour is enriched with B vitamins, is it the same in Italy?

But glad you have lots of hair to compensate for the amount that is falling out.

I know that B vitamins are very good for hair loss. I imagine you get enough of that with your varied diet. In the US flour is enriched with B vitamins, is it the same in Italy?

But glad you have lots of hair to compensate for the amount that is falling out.

I should supplement the vitamin B hull with the food I already take.
I can't tell if our flour here is enriched with B vitamin, I'd have to investigate.
No, fortunately the loss of hair is neither a pathology nor anything else, only a great annoyance, especially when I find so many hairs of mine on the pillow...it seems that I have two heads :laugh:

I'm of the opinion that iron in its many forms is essential in helping us fight COVID, as the following text;

What are the symptoms of iron deficiency?

Iron deficiency results in reduced haemoglobin in red blood cells. Haemoglobin is a protein that transports oxygen around the body. People with mild iron deficiency may look pale, and often feel tired and lacking in energy.

Iron plays a key role in maintaining a healthy immune system. If you have a deficiency, you could be more susceptible to infections. Severe iron deficiency is called iron deficiency anaemia. Symptoms include heart palpitations, brittle nails, thinning hair, itchy skin (pruritus) and mouth sores or ulcers.

Back
Top Bottom